Race The Cyclops Race

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by NewLiar, Nov 10, 2012.

1. NewLiar

NewLiar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The Cyclops Race (No Real name yet)
    A one eyed race of alien hunters and exlorers.

Tier 1 armor example 3.png

Backstory

The Cyclops are the greatest hunters in the universe. All Cyclopsi have a primal desire to hunt, collect and explore.

Their entire culture is based on showing your hunting prowess, which you can see from their architecture. Every Cyclops house is decorated with displays of hunted animals, found plants and artifacts. In almost a museum like manner.

After, almost hunting down every other species on their home planet, the Cyclopsis got bored and started on a space travel program.

With acces to space travel and the promise of an entire universe of alien planets to explore, they took off from their homeplanet. In all the excitement, the race got split up in small groups and lost contact with the others.

Now they live in small colonies across the entire universe, still exploring, collecting and hunting everything they can find.

Racial Technology

Wormhole Periscope: A wormhole is formed inside of the periscope and contained, which gives you the abilities to scout (Zoom out) the map. (Needs to have a range limitation) "Can be very usefull to locate underground caves, or explore dungeons."

A large varity of traps: Bear traps, trap doors, nets, mines.

Racial Spaceship: A round sphere shaped ship, with a centered window in the background, creating the image of an eyeball.

Tier 1 armor example 3.png

Dungeons

1. A Jumanji like mansion:
    • A large overgrown mansion covered in vines and falling apart.
    • Filled with animals and insect like creatures.
    • Treasure chests in the form of closets, cupboards and other normal house containers.
    • Possibly a phasing mechanic, where you find the mansion in perfect condition and the house turns into a overgrown mansion dungeon when you accidently trigger or open a box / book / boardgame (Like pandora's box). The box / book / boardgame, could be like a dimensional prison for dangerous wildlife or a old piece of technology used to transport / relocate entire forests / ecosystems.
    2. A Jurrasic park like holding facility or Park:
    • A small train or jeep on rails to take as transport.
    • Cells and enclosures holding dangerous creatures.
    • Electric fences.

Architecture

Their buildings are a mix of big mansions (hunter's lodges) with Jurrasic park influences.

Their decorations are mostly based to show off things you've found in your travels:

1. Animal Head Wall Mount:

Animal head Wall mounts examle 1.png

• Step 1: Decorate your house with a Wall mount like normal.
    • Step 2: Click on the (Now placed) Empty Wall mount, this will open your animal database / logbook.
    • Step 3: Select the animal you want. The head model of that animal will now be placed onto the wall mount. (To reset the Wall mount to empty: Destroy the decoration like normal and replace it)
    2. Weapon Wall Mount:
    • Step 1: Decorate your house with a Empty Weapon Wall mount
    • Step 2: Click it to open up a chest like container interface, with just 1 empty slot.
    • Step 3: Put the weapon you want mounted into the empty container slot. The weapon model will now be placed onto the wall mount.

Tell me what you guys think of the idea so far! ;)

MoonyGekko, Noc, Trentzor91 and 2 others like this.
  2. NewLiar

[Reserved]

3. GunmanRex

GunmanRex Oxygen Tank

this is pretty cool, by the way I love the parodies, and the armor looks nice and Greek making it fit in even more!:up:

NewLiar likes this.
  4. Zain Hallows

Zain Hallows Existential Complex

I support this compleatly! :D awesome!!

NewLiar likes this.
  5. NewLiar

Thanks guys! ;)

6. darkalex8991

darkalex8991 Starship Captain

Amazing, and i really likr the Futurama reference in your middle sprites :rofl:.

NewLiar likes this.
  7. MrPf1ster

MrPf1ster Guest

Looks awesome :D

8. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

I have a question, why does the cyclops armor have two little eye slots?

9. NewLiar

Nah it´s more 1 big shape they can look trough.

10. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Phantasmal Quasar

Well, yes, but the shape is incredibly unconventional considering a cyclops' anatomy, and it wouldn't really make sense fitting one. I'm sure you're deriving the shape of the opening from the Barbute, or something like it, in which case I feel that it's necessary to point out that the only reason that it's opening is shaped like that is so that the user could both see and communicate with general ease. In the case of a creature with a single, large eye, I personally see this as more hindering to the wearer than anything. I suggest something more along the line of a kettle hat, if you're going for that type of rustic feel with the armor; otherwise, I say you just use a standard combat helmet, which would be just as effective. Though, in a game this far in the future, it would make a lot of sense to have some sort of visor with such a large weak point.

NewLiar likes this.
  11. NewLiar

But.. but, it looks like a creeper face. :(

I'm going try to update this post soon. I've had new ideas for this, but haven't updated it here yet. The armor I had here was just a random idea I came up with while trying to come up with armor for them, but you're right it doesn't really fit. :p

iCountBlocks and Polar Bear like this.
  12. Jääkäri

Jääkäri Pangalactic Porcupine

I see Fry and Leela! :up:

NewLiar likes this.
  13. Force2Reckon

Force2Reckon Phantasmal Quasar

Interesting race concept :) I wouldn't play it, no offense intended, but it seems like something that would have a backing as well as several players who would use it, I support.

KuroHinotori and NewLiar like this.
  14. An Incognito Tuxedo

An Incognito Tuxedo Subatomic Cosmonaut

In English, please?

15. iCountBlocks

iCountBlocks Orbital Explorer

Agreed! It caught my eye, made me laugh :giggle:
    I really like the idea and the thought that went into it! I like the armor a lot, but have to agree with Polar Bear on the helmet. It's awesome you're willing to take advice from the community to update it :)

NewLiar likes this.
  16. NewLiar

Update:

Made alot of changes to the race idea. They're now going to be a Safari hunter like theme (Like Jurrasic Park-ish).
    For now its mostly some ideas and a short simple background story. (+ a few sprites)
    Im still working on making more sprites to show things off, but this is what I have so far.
    Hope you guys like the new look. ;)

GunmanRex likes this.
  17. I don't think of that style as jurrassic park-ish, I'm more reminded of Jumanji and Ernest Hemingway.

Jussasic park just doesn't seem to fit the bill, it lacks the primitive fossils and clinical sciency stuff.
    (I may be a bit bias, because I'm working on my own race containing jurrassic park-esque elements! ;) )

In other news, the art is superb, but the race just doesn't intrest me. It just has something missing, or far too much of something.
    Perhaps the simple body design.

18. NewLiar

The theme is Jumanji and Ernest Hemingway, but has a mix of Jurrasic Park mixed into it (for later tiers of technology). By a Jurrasic Park theme, I mean hitech parks where dangerous animals (Dinosaurs or others) are contained by large metal walls and electric fences. I also like the idea of having small facilities with labs and displays of animal bones.
    Also later tiers of armor will start to look more like star wars bounty hunters, Crisis suits, Predator, Rambo and military like outfits (Ghillie suits, camoflage).

As for the body design. Do you mean they look simple as in their body shape or as in their face options?
    In case of the body:
    The body cant really differ from the standard humanoid shape that the current SB races have now. If they differ too much, you wouldn't be able to wear any of current armor in game and any other race wouldnt be able to wear the cyclopsis armor.

In case of the head:
    This first armor set Ive made blocks part of the face, but you will have a large varity of eye options to customize your player. I'll show some off soon, but for now I was working on getting at least one armor set done.

Im also working on more decoration sprites and other armor sets, so people can get a better feel of how this race would look. (Just the one armor set and Animal Head Wall Mounts, arent really enough to show it off well)

Glad you shared your opinion on it, and I'll try and make it more interesting over time. Is there anything you think I should change or do you have any ideas to add?

19. More as in their simple color and lack of defining features.
    To me, they just look like playdough with an eye in the head.

I particulary like Suika's Cyclopian race, it has a touch of... Something.

[​IMG]

20. NewLiar

The image doesn't work for me, do you have a link for me?

Here's some ideas I did before. (The sprite in my suggestion blocks their eye a bit, so you cant see these variations; Im going to change that later)
    heads test 1.png

blind sniper likes this.