1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Contest Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Alvin Flummox, May 13, 2012.

?

What would you want the next official contest to be about?

1. Race

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Npc

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Game Mechanic

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Vehicle/Mount

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. Item

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. Planet/Biome

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Boss

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. Quest

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  9. Weapon

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  10. Armour/Vanity

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alvin Flummox

Alvin Flummox Existential Complex

In this thread it was mentioned that it might be a good idea to get the communities view on what official contests we wanted to see in the future, and help keep the developers informed. So I thought I'd to set up a little poll!

P.S Put any other ideas in the comments if it doesn't fit under any of the headings in the poll. Unfortunately there's a limit to how many options you can have but I tried my best not to miss anything out.

Zailiner likes this.
  2. Noctshade

Noctshade Master Chief

Great idea, and voted!

EDIT: I feel like we shouldn't host a competition for something majorly important such as a Boss or a really important, game changing matter unless the Devs themselves make it clear that they want public input in a specific matter. I myself as a Dev would want most of the ideas to be part of me, or out of my own head, and if people start posting quality candidates for a certain aspect of the game, part of me would want to include it in the game, and the other part would try to keep my original ideas intact, and probably end up feeling bad if I don't include it in my project.

Alvin Flummox likes this.
  3. I agree with Noctshade, as we should not have a contest that determines something very big that my not always benefit the game because only one person worked on it, yet not some tiny little thing, like a potion or a plant, that is difficult to judge, and you can't put a lot of work into.

That's why I agree with Races, Vechicles, and Npcs
    But when it comes to weapons and armor, I think that they should post a contest with sub-catagories, and you should be able to post once in all of them.

Noctshade likes this.
  4. Roytje

Roytje Star Wrangler

Voted quest simply because i like quests.
    and because i have an crazy idea to a quest hehe.

Alvin Flummox likes this.
  5. Alvin Flummox

Yeah I did think that. It was more just to keep the options entirely open though so that people could vote for it if they wanted it! At the end of the day the devs get to decide on the competitions anyway, this was just to show them what the community would like to see :) If boss happened to be by far the most popular option here then it would show that it was really something that people wanted. I may see about get a mod to change it however, but I can't edit it now :/

6. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Actually, i already made something like this, and as far as i know, this should be in General Discussion, but i MAY be wrong.

If you wanna check some ideas that have been made on my thread, is named What would you like next contest to be about?

7. Alvin Flummox

Yeah there wasn't any with a poll last time I checked though :) And yeah I thought that straight after I made it, I've already sent a message to Ghostar to move it so she'll get it when she's next online.

8. Alvin Flummox

Bump to get this back up so that people notice it :)

9. Alvin Flummox

Bumpity bump bump :(

10. Camz

Camz Existential Complex

Hi there just to let you know some exciting info, there will be an unofficial space suit contest being run by myself and a few others soon... So watch this space!

11. Alvin Flummox

Bump bump bumparoo

12. Maverik

Maverik Void-Bound Voyager

I actually want to see another npc or monster contest, myself. The random generation system takes care of most the weapons, unless they're planning on adding distinct, unique weapons.

A new race or mechanic would take quite a bit of time, while a new npc or monster would require less resource commitment. I would also like to see vanity items or armours, or an item in general, I guess.

13. Alvin Flummox

I think they may also be making some unique weapons as well as the procedurally generated ones, but I could be wrong. I mainly just included everything for completeness sake, it's still their decision what they do for a contest at the end of the day :) I agree that some kind of npc would require a lot less effort to implement that a whole new system or biome or something though.

I personally want to see a new race competition but again that would get extremely tricky. I imagine all the races that they are going to include are going to be the same humanoid shape, so that they only have to have one design for armour and weapons and things.

14. I'm gonna go ahead and pick item, I've seen some very nice item suggestions in other threads and I think it would be cool to use a community-created item ingame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.