The Circle of Life

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Sarzael, May 10, 2012.

1. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

-The Food Chain-
    Hunger System:
    • All animals have a hunger system implemented, requiring them to seek nourishment or starve and die.
    • Plants need certain conditions to grow(Terraria for example.)
    • Herbivores eat the plants(grass, flowers, etc.) making the plant growth dissapear, which is the part the creature needs to feed on.
    • Carnivores eat the herbivores(and possibly at times, other Carnivores and Omnivores.)
    • Omnivores can eat anything to satiate their hunger.
    Migration:
    • If seasons are in the game, we could see different animals(like birds, or fish, etc.) spawning at different places(and their predators, too)
    • If seasons aren't in the game, then possibly the animals could migrate to and from different set points, either on timers or when their numbers get to a certain point.
    How to calculate a creature's current number:
    • Assign a hunger score, representing how many units the creature needs per day to survive.
    • Assign a food score, showing how many units they award when consumed.
    • Omnivores also have a ratio of how carnivores/herbivores eaten per day, to be used to keep balance (possibly set depending on what the current population numbers are.)
    • Each day plants checks to see if it grows, then herbivores reproduce and/or grow, then Carnivores eat and/or grow.
    • An example:
    A Carnivore's hunger score is 2 and food score is 6, a Herbivore's is 1 and 5. There are plants with a food score of 1. You might even assign Omnivores with a ratio allowing for 1 Carnivore per 5 days and 1 Herbivore every day just to begin with. There are 2 Carnivores(adding one more every 4- days), 20 herbivores(adding 3 every 2 days) , 40 plants(growing to maturity every 2 days), and 1 Omnivore(Asexual?).

|Food Score |Hunger Score |Population |Growth Ratio |
    Carnivore:wut:----6---------|-----2----------|----2--------|--1per5-------|
    Herbivore:wut:----5---------|-----1----------|---20------- |---3per2------|
    Omnivore:wut:----------C-1/5----H-1/1----|----1-------- |---1per10----|

I can see lots of uses for this, from throwing meal to distract carnivores and run away, to making funny experiments inserting plants and animals from other planets and see how they live together.

Introducing animals from other planets can end up in two effects:

1) The animals adapting, and continue their life with an new teammate or opponent.
    2) If the animal is too strong, or reproduces to fast, it may end up destroying the entire cycle of life, causing maybe planet to go mayhem, till humans act, or after a time, it would fix by itself, creating new kinds of the animals you inserted that fight each other.

Also, if a human somehow manage to destroy an entire kind of animals, the same may happen, as if you remove an certain type of plant that is eaten by certain kind of hervibore that only eats it that is eaten by certain kind of carnivore that only eat that hervibore that is eaten by... (You get the idea), all the animals in that chain i listed, would die of starvation.
    Also, in extreme cases, animals of same species may fight each other, and become cannibals.

The idea is not mine, was an post they made around the other forums, however, since i found it really interesting, i made a few fixes to it, and added a few things, and posted it here.

Also check: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/agriculture-ganadery-more.10888/#post-331424

2. LethalShade

LethalShade Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Like it :)

RadioFox likes this.
  3. Modest

Modest Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Idea is very nice in my opinion. Even if it is too complex to implemend I would still like to see something as it (more simple but stil something similar).

n1t3n and somers27 like this.
  4. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Thanks for support.

5. Epicroyal

Epicroyal Cosmic Narwhal

Could be part of the survival game-mode, but what if you could BE an animal =P..

Maw likes this.
  6. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

You can use my DNA Mixer (Another of my ideas) to convert yourself in animal.

7. Half-Mod35

Half-Mod35 Space Penguin Leader

this could be difficult but I think the Dev. Team said that they aern't including hunger system as it may get annoying... It's always better just to eat and fill up that health bar rather than go and hunt/buy something just for your hunger bar....

8. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Mind you read the post again since it doesnt speak about you having hunger, but about mob behaviors

9. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Now there is a Hunger Bar. Is optional though. Anyways this idea isnt about you having hunger, but about mob behaviors.

Core likes this.
  10. Senshiro

Senshiro Void-Bound Voyager

11. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Da fuq is that supposed to mean???

12. The Corrupted [ITA]

The Corrupted [ITA] Big Damn Hero

tiy should really see this

13. Blazerer

Blazerer Void-Bound Voyager

Sarzael I'm starting to love you and your ideas.

Very well thought out idea, though some input I'd like to give:

I would let birds and a part of the herbivores eat the produce of plants, and as such could be considered a 'pest' for the person farming them. This would also mean that hunting some animals, or introducing natural predators could make farming somewhat more interesting.

I'd like to add an idea to my own though: animal burrows. A place which decides the general area an animal will operate in. Spawners, if you will. This way keeping animals balanced won't be a too hard of a task and you could actually see animals spread or die out. As such an entire ecosystem breaking down would be hard but possible to set in motion. And vice-versa: you could, if you're smart and capable enough repair a planet that before could not sustain life. Imagine the beauty of Terra-forming an entire planet that could not sustain any life before. Flora and Fauna would have to be in a starting balance to be life-viable and would require some work...but what a view it would be.

Cristoph888 likes this.
  14. Senshiro

Senshiro Void-Bound Voyager

It's a picture of the circle of life??? From a certain movie??

Br4xxx likes this.
  15. Blazerer

Blazerer Void-Bound Voyager

Bump for justice and attention.

16. RadioFox

RadioFox Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's THE CIRCLE OF LIFE!!!!!

17. Toasty

Toasty Industrial Terraformer

If the idea isn't yours and you happened to just expand on it, would you mind providing a link to the original suggestion?

I mean, it's awesome to elaborate on the idea but credit to the idea's uh... Origin? Would be appreciated.

Gaure likes this.
  18. SaintPanda

SaintPanda Cosmic Narwhal

I love this idea. I could rob an entire world of its vegetation, all the animals would starve and die, make the planet uninhabitable, and then use stuff from my suggestion (Physics, Realism, and a bit of Starship Mechanics) to make a Life Support system inside a shield then plant crops. WIN.

Captain Picard would totally do this. Just don't look it up. Trust me. :D

19. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

You necro'd the thread.

20. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

That isnt so weird when i go around posting the link to it on threads that suggest something similar but arent as complete.

It was in the other page, there isnt really to much of a difference.
    Also, i cant find the page to the other forums now?

Ruban Crusade likes this.