1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck in Starbound progress

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by loadme, Oct 31, 2014.

1. loadme

loadme Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In the nightly build, I am not able to build the robotic parts to summon the second boss.
    In fact I'm not even able to build the distress beacon for the first boss. They are missing in the crafting lists.
    I am stuck, since I can't build the robotics crafting table.

wiki doesn't state how to progress with the current nightly. I encounter this bug for at least 10 days.

Also using the scroll bars via drag and drop in any crafting menu didn't work for me ever. Maybe someone could fix this in the next months.

2. The Observer

The Observer Phantasmal Quasar

Intended. Use admin codes to summon up the required items.

Can a mod move this to nightlies?

3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

They are quite aware of the issues - nightly is completely broken prototype. It is simply to see new features - not to play.

4. Dankvader

Dankvader Phantasmal Quasar

Progression in the nightly is a lot more interesting now. You need to actually mine to get core fragments to upgrade your ship. For the crafting tables there are new ones now.

You will need to upgrade your Matter Manipulator to really mine well too. (better then pickaxes)

Once you get the iron table and the alloy furnace and the metalworking station, then you should be able to proceed to the outpost and do the quest for the O2 generator.

Thats where I am stuck now. I am not sure if they have added anything past that.

5. loadme

loadme Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for pointing me towards the console commands.

Thanks for the input. I already progressed this. I wasn't able to click any of the planets in my system. My client keeps crashing, when I do so.
    The features you mention are nice, but not worth waiting 8 month :(

Well, I'm aware of that. We all are.

But considering:
    - the game has no official beta update for 8 month now
    - Tiy announced a new beta release months ago, that just won't come out.

I would just play the official beta versions. In December there was one every two weeks. No need for nightlies.
    Since Tiy left the starbound team alone, it feels like they are pushing Chucklefish much more then they are pushing Starbound.
    8 month without a consumer friendly beta version is a good example.

["dude, relax it just takes some time"]
    Yes. That were exactly my words. But how long does a person have to wait for promises of others? Well let's not get to histrionic here.

["dude relax, didnt' you read the news? there are new features every day!"]
    I read every damn news every 2 or 4 days for the past 24 month.
    And yes, yours were my own words months ago. However, things didn't change here.
    So please allow me to slowly switch sides from being Finn fanboy for 2 years towards the frustrated customer side. You promised so much and yet, it feels like Starbound didn't really evolve for the past year.

2 things that are really making it hard to enjoy starbound as much as i enjoyed terraria:
    - the laggy combat with what feels like 500-800 ms delays (which hasn't been resolved since beta was kicked off)
    - the monotone planet design for the past 12 months. One "biome" is covering the whole planets surface. Containing 2 different kinds of mobs. I see the late changes, but they are so much behind my expectations, when they promised "NPC interaction" and "planets that feel alive and highly dynamic" or "randomly generated enemies" (2 per planet. nice.) or "expect to meet different sizes of mobs, some larger and stronger, some smaller in groups". Well, i played through nightly, traveled to 5 different planets. All gave me the same boring feeling that I had 12 month ago

6 month ago I kept saying "they are wonderful. believe in them. Give them time." But now? Chucklefish here. Chucklefish there. And Starbound is still pretty much the same enjoyment and beta feeling like 12 month ago.
    Yes there are official statements from Tiy to this. But did anything change?

Just had to say this. I'm sorry, I already feel bad for arguing against this awesome game.
    I had so much hopes for this game and supported you with my money as soon as I could.
    But all I hear now is "Chucklefish" here, "Chucklefish" there. And Starbound stays behind expectations.

6. Pushing the development branch to stable or unstable is actually a really difficult and consuming process. Before they can move it over they need to do some serious debugging, build in conversion systems for the existing saved info, and make sure the game is in a playable state. The nightlies are doing what is required, giving people insight into what they're working on. You have evidence every single day that they're pushing new features through the dev cycle.
    Also when did Tiy announce a new beta release? I follow this news multiple times a week and I think you misinterpreted something Tiy said about 1.0. What he was saying is he was doing right by his customers by not pushing something incomplete out. It's better in the end to let them do their thing and give us something great, rather than another half finished early access tragedy.

I just love when people use the word "promise". They made commitments, but a promise is something more intimate (at least in my eyes). No amount of complaining, concern, and commentary is going to make this process go any faster. It's best to pull up a chair, have a seat, and play something else until they release.

We've directly seen innovative changes put in place by @metadept, @OmnipotentEntity and @kyren; A slew of brand new assets from @GeorgeV and @Necotho; the tireless auditory and miscellaneous efforts of @Armagon; and the dedication of the community manager @mollygos. When they started they were a fragmented group of code monkeys and artists from all over the world, now they're a cohesive and functional games studio. If moving to a central locations, hiring new people, and adapting to these changes isn't evolution, I don't know what is.

Combat has never felt laggy to me. You might want to check into the potential of something being wrong with your system.
    The planet design is currently being revamped heavily. The last 4 posts have been about making the worlds more interesting.

Everything has changed. They opened the curtain and gave us a glimpse at the wizard, it's not their fault if people want to look away but in doing so they give up their opportunity to complain when they actively ignore whats going on. Exercise a little patience and you'll be rewarded with something truly exceptional.

EDIT: I also wanted to add one last comment for good measure. You're $15 entitled you to a copy of the game, which you will eventually get. Development takes time. Scope creep and striving to innovate is what's pushed this game back and I've seen far worse reasons for projects going past a deadline.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014