1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Nightly Beta Findings or Interesting Things

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by phillip2001, Jun 17, 2014.

1. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Should read "Piss of the gods."
    :zombie:

2. Presios Saiyan

Presios Saiyan Giant Laser Beams

Mountain Dew: Piss of the Gods.

Wing of Kluex: Battle of the Gods version of Death.

3. Lintton

Lintton Guest

If mountain dew way a thing, wouldn't chucklefish have to, I dunno, get permission or an endorsement?

SivCorp likes this.
  4. Broconut

Broconut Cosmic Narwhal

Twas a joke. :(
    And yeah, I'll admit, Mountain isn't even that great, Root Beer and Dr. Pepper kick its ass in my opinion, but now I'm derailing the thread. :rofl:
    Apologies m'lady.

yclatious likes this.
  5. LordHavoc

LordHavoc Phantasmal Quasar

Has anyone else noticed that the charcoal recipe appears to have disappeared from the stone furnace.
    It's kinda getting dark without a ready supply of torches

6. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I've also noticed that corn now produces coffee... but if you uproot the plant, it still gives you corn seeds... strange.

I also noticed that you cannot stack functional items. If you put an anvil on top of your furnace, you can't use the anvil, for example. Works against crafting tables, storage devices, and beds.

7. Broconut

Broconut Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, I first noticed that when I was unable to use the research station that I had placed above my replicator. It would just keep opening the interface for the replicator even though i had my cursor over the research station. Probably just a bug that they'll fix sooner or later, but yeah, it's quite annoying, ha ha.

8. Mutant1988

Mutant1988 Void-Bound Voyager

I'm guessing that's a place holder feature until they implement another means to acquire coffee beans. I'm guessing one of the shops in the outpost will offer coffee plant seeds.

I'm missing it too. A renewable source of light is pretty much essential for early game mining, as well as being extremely useful for travelling between planets in the same solar system. So it's pretty bizarre that charcoal is absent.

9. LordHavoc

LordHavoc Phantasmal Quasar

I think trees should drop 'sap' as well as wood'n'seeds
    I'm thinking copying Avatar where he uses tree sap to make a torch out of. That'll cure the torch issue as well as curing the 'using trees to power a starship' issue.

I'm sure by adding 'sap' to the game they could drum up a load of other uses for the substance.

10. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If anyone happens to get a desert planet with an Oasis sub-biome, look for glowing teal water. It doesn't look that much different from regular water, but it throws a bit of light (enough to see around near it at night or underground easily) and heals you gradually just by standing in it. It's called Healing Water and looks like it has a couple of practical applications like having an alternate way to heal aside from food or beds, and having a unique way to light up a house or ship.

Also, if you keep the navigation screen open as the jump ends, it'll actually boot up the universe navigation menu rather than the in-system one. You can't back out a star system screen once you go into it so you can't check more than one other system per jump, and I'm not sure if you can bypass the FTL restriction via this or not. (Given how I yet again didn't get a moon, it might be interesting if it's possible. I saw an Ocean biome in another system.)

Coffee plants are now available and can be found on Forest biome planets along with carrots and tomatoes. Desert biome planets have Beakseed instead of a random Glitch food plant, Oasis has Feathercrown and Kiwi, and Glitch Villages seem to spawn frequently on Desert planets and give Diodia, Boltbulb, and Automato. Garden planets give Wheat, Pearlpeas, Potatoes, and Rice. Haven't been able to check anywhere else yet, but I presume Ocean biomes would have ocean-themed plants and things like Crystal Plant would be on volcanic planets.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Uzkniso likes this.
  11. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

So I was playing around in nightlies and noticed that there is a new tech interface. Not only that, but modifications have been made to allow certain techs to be equipped (and used) concurrently. What that means is, well, this:
    [​IMG]

12. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

Brings a whole new meaning to Bubble Butt. :D

13. FloranFighter

FloranFighter Subatomic Cosmonaut

That actually sounds like a cool idea[DOUBLEPOST=1416351054][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Imagine a mech and blink, finally I can get through those people sized doors in my mech

yclatious likes this.
  14. Mutant1988

Well, 2 of the stores in the Outpost now have items for sale. Here's hoping the other 2 will follow soon.

"Distress!" quest still seems to be impossible to complete though.

Accessing the Outpost through the star gate is just a place holder, right? Because it's a bit inconsistent in terms of visuals. Generally, I don't like the fact that outposts are just placed on asteroids. To me it seems like placing them on planets would be more sensible.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  15. Aroxys

Yeah, went through Distress! as well and nothing worked. There was no ! over the mining machine at the bottom and I even managed to find all the Lunar Chests and save three miners. Was a bit disappointed about that. On the flip side, I do have some interesting things to report about this quest:

First off, despite being activated only when you complete the Coffee 'quest line' (I use quotations because that last one feels more like the quest giver is being a prat. You're telling me that the Outpost doesn't have any spoons?) Distress! doesn't actually require the pocket air generator as you might think. It actually makes some measure of sense too, as the miners themselves never actually shown carrying atmosphere generators. This means you can wear something more useful, like the lantern on a stick. The next is that the shield generator being up and running gives me some serious mixed feelings regarding mission structure. On the one hand, it's a good way to make sure people aren't going to cheat their way to the end of a mission the same way they might muck up a planet as they move. On the other, you know you need the crystals that show up in the actual level but can't mine them. Additionally, there's cave-ins that are deliberately places to block your path at times, forcing you to find alternate routes. It's oddly depowering how you can't do what you'd usually do in that scenario, but at the same time it encourages you to find all the extra paths in the level. The Mooninites (what I'm calling the regular enemies) aren't that hard to deal with as they only have 38-40 HP (I have an axe that does 20dps) and thanks to the monster mechanic changes their ranged attacks can be interrupted just by jumping out of range. They have a weak Bash attack, but if you're in full Steel armor it shouldn't even be an issue. I wouldn't advise sitting in their ranged attack, however.

The Moontants are tougher to deal with in the same way most humanoid enemies are: They're big sacks of HP that can't dish out too much damage. They don't show up much (they only start appearing near the end of the mission) but it's still not really advised to stand in front of them the whole time unless you lucked out and got either a full set of Matter armor (which means getting desert planets with a large Apex facility on them, and then hoping they have a Matter Generator) or at least one piece since it beats out Steel still. Thankfully their attacks are sluggish at best and the change to melee weapons cuts both ways. You can't just generate an afterimage 'shield' to protect yourself, and neither can they. Gives melee battles against other humanoids a dance-like quality.

Definitely a fun mission, though its inability to be completed needs to be fixed.

Silvestre likes this.
  16. Mutant1988

I do like the enforced action platformer gameplay that the shield generators introduce though. However, I feel that some items should be possible to place even within a structure that has a shield generator.

For example; There's a lot of ropes in the mine, but you can't use it for anything. Especially annoying when you can't jump back out of the lowest part of the mine, due to the platform you dropped down from being placed too high up to jump back on.

I do understand why it's designed that way - To stop you from cheesing the Mutated Miner by jumping back up the shaft.

17. Aroxys

New update, new changes. First of all is the much-appreciated Casual mode where you only drop pixels on death. The next thing is that characters and universes have once again been wiped, but that's to make room for a few new surprises; These being more quests! The Outpost now has a few more relatively simple quests to do, though one of them is definitely post-Eriqus as it requires a Diamond, and the Alloy Furnace can't make one. Distress! still seems to be unable to be completed proper, and I did take the time to even save as many miners as I could. A few died anyway because they wandered into the paths of the mooninites and I forgot to clear out a batch while in the process of saving said miners, but oh well. I still managed to save at least six this time around. There's some rather... inefficient miner-themed weapons in the Lunar Crates every now and again. I lucked out and got a Floran Prison on a Desert world so my ranged needs were all sorted out beforehand with some rather powerful and decently-balanced plasma rifles. The only one that qualifies as a gas-guzzler is one that takes 93 energy to fire, but does 34 damage per shot. To note, Miner weapons take comparable amounts of energy but deal a fraction of the damage.

As a distraction, there's an arcade game active in the Outpost now! The game's not complex or anything and seems to be more a time waster than anything else (especially since I didn't complete it, hurr) but it's nice to see that the Outpost is getting expanded upon. Also, don't worry about stealing any of their stuff. It'll just respawn exactly where it was before. Took a Coffee Pot, refrigerator, microwave, and cabinet and it was all there the next time I popped in. Infinity Express and Terramart are also open for business. Their prices are dirt cheap and they sell a decent variety of things, with the former even selling units of oil in case you spawned in a system without a Desert planet with a Tar mini-biome. Terramart also sells a lot of food for 10-20 pixels a pop, which means you shouldn't buy from racial food vendors ever until they bring their prices down some.

The Tech chip is in fact now available in the game, and is the reward for the quest that requires one Diamond. Haven't been able to play around with it just because I can't get past Distress!. Though they did fix it so climbing rope can now be used to get out of that one section. Don't forget to bring some along when you take the mission, because it seems like the Lunar Base only stocks regular Rope this time around.

18. ironcommando

ironcommando Void-Bound Voyager

[​IMG]
    5 diamonds for upgrade 2? Note that Upgrade 3 only requires gold bars, and the one after that Platinum bars. You can't even get diamonds yet due to requiring a Nucleonic Crucible...

19. Aroxys

Yeah, that's been there for a while. It wouldn't be such a pain to deal with if one could actually repair the FTL drive.

20. ironcommando

ironcommando Void-Bound Voyager

Even weirder is that Steel is now Iron+Copper. IIRC Steel in real life is Iron+Carbon (Coal in Starbound), so I don't know why they had to change it (other than giving copper more use)