Squads and mercenarys, soldiers to follow you planetside?

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Citizen_Kane, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Citizen_Kane

Citizen_Kane Master Chief

One thing I would love to see in this game is recruiting or hiring of soldiers to defend your space station/base and also allowing them to follow you into the wilds and assist in combat. Certain soldiers could have different traits and weapons to fit the person's play style or compliment another. Perhaps tribal soldiers could be big tanks while the soldier could be a fairly weak but ranged unit. Any chance of this happening?

2. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Well... How? All i see is suicidal Lemmings unless they implement intelligent AI... "He Flew over that lava! Lets Follow him!" nuuuu... Perhaps just to defend a set point on the planet like your base.

3. Citizen_Kane

I don't see how a simple set of rules for the AI could be hard to add.

Connor McNew likes this.
  4. Daitenshi

Randomly Generated worlds are far too complicated for that. They could be immune to fall damage... that'd be lame but would help... Maybe fallow the same AI scripts as humanoid Mobs just friendly to the player.

5. Citizen_Kane

If it's too complicated, I'd hate to see how enemy AI acts. Joking aside, the AI in terraria wasn't bad at all, that world was randomly generated. The zombie's would do their best to climb up to the player. And now even in Minecraft the terribly poor AI is getting an upgrade, mobs now use pathfinding in a 3D environment and avoid lava and climb walls and steps to reach their target. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to implement that in a 2D environment.

6. Daitenshi

Hmm We'll have to see. But i'd love to see your suggestion implemented.

7. Herowho

Herowho Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe you could give them commands. Let's use a bit of Daitenshi's example. You're about to fly over a pit or lava. You could simply click them or press a certain key to issue them to wait until you get back or build a bridge over the pit. But they could still protect themselves from enemies.

Space0tters! ! likes this.
  8. Fireninja404

Fireninja404 Subatomic Cosmonaut

maybe they would have good equipment to get them around, like grapple hooks and jetpacks?

9. SuperWillieD

SuperWillieD Pangalactic Porcupine

Or jetpack grapple hooks blasting them around everywhere?:sneaky:

10. HappyVader

HappyVader Big Damn Hero

Well, what about finding and hiring/rescuing/finding the mercenaries (via quest rewards, etc.), and having them hold the starting location of your planet? Sure, they could die, but at least they could give your character time to leave if the planet is one of the very hard planets you encounter.

i.e. Hey! This planet looks nice! Fresh air, no big crea-AHHHH! TONY NOOooo! *a horde of creatures come at you, and you had just enough time to extract you and two other mercenaries...

11. Mike Potter

Mike Potter Void-Bound Voyager

I think this is a splendid idea!

Giving the player the option to have gun buddies, for a price of course, would be a marvelous addition to the game. If a player is having trouble traversing a particular planet, they can bring some mercs with them to ease the stresses until they manage to get better gear to help them survive. On the flip side, if a player is just breezing through the game, the mercs can be just be ignored, letting the player have the 'hero' experience.

On a personal note, I just love gun buddies, and having a squad traverse a strange planet with me would feel like a scene straight from an Aliens movie.

12. SomethingObvious

SomethingObvious Phantasmal Quasar

I guess this would be good for singleplayer, but in multiplayer it kinda defeats the point of the clan in my sig.

shameless promotion for the win

13. Connor McNew

Connor McNew Void-Bound Voyager

I think it would be cool if they were cheap and easily disposable. They die fairly easily, even though they are helpful.
    I just think it would add a little Alien-esque (Riddley Scott) suspense at times.

14. DeVoid

DeVoid Void-Bound Voyager

Wonderful idea. I'd love to have some Halo-style marines following me about, allowing me to save my ammo and such. Maybe they could work similar to the pet system that has been discussed? I think it'd be neat to find soldiers that could have crash-landed into a planet you happened to land on as well and they could follow you if you convinced to do so or helped them in some way. Maybe a barracks on the space station for them to live in?

15. Phantomhearts

Phantomhearts Phantasmal Quasar

I was gonna say that if you hired them they would either
    A. follow you
    B.Defend landing area
    C.search for minerals
    Or maybe just did what you told them to do on ship :D

FixelPixel likes this.
  16. Matt McChicken

Matt McChicken Void-Bound Voyager

NINJA SQUAD!!