1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Seed Extractor - Farming Helper

Discussion in 'Crafting and Building' started by juliuslove, Dec 9, 2013.

1. juliuslove

juliuslove Phantasmal Quasar

I enjoy farming and wanted a way to turn produce into seeds. Rather than simply have plants drop seeds, I opted for a simple workstation to extract seeds from produce.

Usage:
    This mod adds a new crafting station "Wooden Seed Extractor" that is craftable from the Crafting Table. For those who are already established, I've included a stonefurnace recipe that uses 2 cooked alien meat to create an item that will teach you the Seed Extractor recipe. Simply place 2 cooked alien meat into the stone furnace and press cook.

To extract seeds, simply place the plant produce into the input slot and press Extract.

For ease of use, I made sugar work to make sugarcane seeds, even though that doesn't really work at all. Mushrooms and the 3 flower varieties are also working.

There are some produce items I simply didn't have time to test as I hadn't found them all. Let me know if you run into any issues.

Seeds are produced at 1:1 rations on everything right now.

Installation Instructions:
    Download the file and extract into Starbound main folder. I included a copy of the win32 bootstrap.config with an additional asset folder set to "../mods". If you already have a mods folder, simply ignore that file when you extract the zip.

Download link:
    http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/48
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/seed-extractor.28/
    https://mega.co.nz/#!5VkEiRZQ!BwH0Zw4ejtw0b0C5tr6cuCn-wMxnsEMXS-fP3oHifiQ

Edit: Added nexus link and reuploaded without player.config file

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    creep2death, Destructor and Baleur like this.
  2. Baleur

Baleur Phantasmal Quasar

Should be in vanilla. It's ridiculous to grow a crop and only get 1 seed back.
    I had grand plans of turning my starting world into a massive farming world, where i could return for food.
    Turns out, in vanilla, that is impossible, since you never get more seeds back from a fully grown plant.

creep2death likes this.
  3. Coffeeman

Coffeeman Subatomic Cosmonaut

@Baluer that's not true. Sometimes you get more than one, but I agree its a little too common to get only one.

4. Malakk

Malakk Big Damn Hero

I am trying to install the mod by following the instructions, but my game gets stuck on the loading screen.
    The log displays the following error:

Code:
    Error: Could not load /player.config asset, attempting to use default.
    AssetException: Could not read variant asset /player.config
    caused by: JsonParsingException: Cannot parse json file: /player.config
    caused by: JsonParsingException: Error parsing json: unexpected character parsing word at 5:6
      0096F4E8 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarVariant.hpp:15)
      007C4B12 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarVariant.cpp:159)
      004E855C (C:/starbound/source/core/StarVariant.hpp:27)
      004E057F (C:/starbound/source/game/StarAssets.cpp:974)
      ... (4)
      004EAF7C (C:/starbound/source/game/StarAssets.cpp:660)
      0052F8F8 (C:/starbound/source/game/StarPlayerFactory.cpp:61)
      004DCA4F (C:/starbound/source/game/StarRoot.cpp:160)
      004016D8 (C:/starbound/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:302)
      00943BAC (C:/starbound/source/core/StarThread_windows.cpp:74)
      7635336A
      773F9F72
      773F9F45

Warn: Slow asset 0.199 : /player.config
    Info: Writing Star::Configuration to '..\starbound.config'
    Error: Exception caught in Thread Async root loader: VariantException: Improper conversion to VariantMap from null
      007C0594 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarVariant.hpp:14)
      0052F908 (C:/starbound/source/game/StarPlayerFactory.cpp:61)
      004DCA4F (C:/starbound/source/game/StarRoot.cpp:160)
      004016D8 (C:/starbound/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:302)
      00943BAC (C:/starbound/source/core/StarThread_windows.cpp:74)
      7635336A
      773F9F72
      773F9F45
    The player.config file looks like this:

Code:
    {
    "defaultBlueprints" : {
        "tier1" : [
          { "item" : "woodenseedextractor" },
        ] }
      }
    And the bootstrap file looks like this:

Code:
    {
      "assetSources" : [
        "../assets",
        "../mods/TStech",
        "../mods/seedextractor"
      ],
      "storageDirectory" : ".."
    }
    Is there something obvious that I am doing wrong at the moment?

5. juliuslove

If you remove the player.config file and just use the stone furnace, it should work.

6. Malakk

Malakk Big Damn Hero

Thank you, it works now.

7. Destructor

Destructor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hmm. I manually installed everything, didn't use the Player.Config file, and made the Seed Extractor item via the Stone Furnace. Whenever I use it however, it immediately crashes. And this is with Annoyed Koala, 9/12/2013.

Any suggestions?

8. juliuslove

Would you mind sharing your error log? It should have enough info to figure out what's going on for you.

Also, what produce were you trying to extract? I haven't tested all of them so it is possible it could just be the one seed is glitchy.

9. Destructor

Some of the last things in my starbound.log file are:

It crashes the moment I try to use the item (so I never get a chance to extract anything) I have the config file, and I'm looking over it now. I think I might've found something.

10. juliuslove

Do you have your boostrap pointing to mods or mods/seedextractor? It looks like it's just having trouble finding the interface folder.

If you open up the seedextractor.config file in interface/objectcrafting/, you should be able to remove the /seedextractor from the file.
    Find the following
    Code:
    "base" : "/seedextractor/interface/objectcrafting/extract.png",
          "hover" : "/seedextractor/interface/objectcrafting/extractover.png"
    Make it
    Code:
    "base" : "/interface/objectcrafting/extract.png",
          "hover" : "/interface/objectcrafting/extractover.png"

11. Destructor

I didn't use the bootstrap file as I didn't know where to point it at. And Starbound outright crashed when I tried to put it in. Not using any kind of mod installer program. How should I edit it otherwise?

And I saw that pair of lines in the config file and changed them myself. I'm still seeing the same error though. Should I destroy the Seed Extractor I have placed in the world and make another?

The code in the config looks like this now, BTW:

12. juliuslove

You installed by dropping the seedextract file into your assets folder? That should just work without modifying the seedextractor.config file.

If you copied the contents of the seedextractor folder into your assets folder, you might need to modify another file.

It would be objects/woodenseedextractor/woodenseedextractor.object. At the bottom of the file is
    Code:
    "uiConfig" : "/seedextractor/interface/objectcrafting/seedextractor.config",
    Change that to
    Code:
    "uiConfig" : "/interface/objectcrafting/seedextractor.config",

13. Destructor

Ah. I didn't know that you could just drag/drop into Starbound like that. I was moving files out of Mods and into their respective folders.

It now works perfectly after that last change. Sorry for being such a pain in the rear. Awesome mod!

14. juliuslove

Thanks, I'm glad you got it working. Have fun.

15. MissTiraMissSu

MissTiraMissSu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for the great mod. My game doesn't seem to want to make Pussplum seeds? Any solutions?

16. juliuslove

Thanks. =)

It looks like that one slipped through. You can either edit the recipe file (right now it is a duplicate recipe that makes toxictop seeds) or redownload the mod.

If you want to edit the file, simply go to seedextractor/recipes/starter/seedextractor and find pussplum.recipe Replace where it says toxictop with pussplum and toxictopseed with pussplumseed. Save and you should be good to go.

I uploaded the corrected version to both sites so you can redownload and just extract over top of the old version if you want.

I'll look through the rest of the recipes over lunch and see if I have any other errors like that one.

Have fun.

17. juliuslove

I had a few minutes so I went through the recipes now. I found 2 more errors so fixed those. Oculemon was broken and there was a duplicate potato recipe. Those are both fixed now.

The new version is uploaded.

18. juliuslove

19. Lachee

Lachee Existential Complex

Can you add wood so you get tree saplings? It would be nice to be able to replant trees

20. ecips

ecips Void-Bound Voyager

I don't think wood saplings even exist in the game (yet). :/