1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Roadmap

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Woothie, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Woothie

Woothie Master Chief

2. Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

3. PrincessMeatloaf

PrincessMeatloaf Void-Bound Voyager

It would be nice to get an update soon. Are all of the various items and weathers things they always planned on adding? To be honest, I'm a little afraid they're going to run into feature creep, if they haven't already. They should just focus on the core mechanics and add new items once the gameplay basics are sorted. If they can keep adding all the little things without compromising the mechanical progress, it'd be nice to hear that they're doing so.

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The roadmap is pretty much useless at this point.
    The roadmap's original purpose was to determine the completion of the base framework of the game.

The Current direction of the game is currently unknown.
    As to have a Roadmap you should know what the end points of that map is.
    Considering the constant changing nature of a lot of elements - its safe to say. They are heading in One direction - but what that destination is, is still pretty much an iffy mystery.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  5. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Ooooooooh *runs hand along thread* You don't see these much any more, she's a beaut.

I jest :lickitung:

I think the roadmap was an awesome idea, but it was a little ambitious for a game that is always in a state of flux as they began to note as we started to take the %'s as solid fact.
    They tried something interesting and different, it didn't pan out the way they hoped and now it's run it's course

Exxil3d, cyberspyXD, Jonesy and 5 others like this.
  6. Serenity likes this.
  7. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

This thread is a rare relic of ye old 2012's. I have not heard this topic in many moons.

8. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

The roadmap is nothing more than a pre-beta novelty. It was built to give people /something/ while the team busily worked away on the game. Remember that this community was formed and had been eagerly anticipating Starbound for a whole 2 YEARS before beta.

9. MarcusDemonicus

MarcusDemonicus Space Kumquat

i just wish since folks waited 2 years for the game to be even playable they would also be willing to wait 2 years for them to work on it without all the massive complaining.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  10. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Would you say that they are N'Sync with the roadmap?

11. Yeahh. Tiy and I actually discussed this recently (for an interview that's not out yet, if I'm remembering correctly).

People wanted us to quantify how much of a given feature was finished, and so the idea for the roadmap came about. It was great in theory, but in practice it's...actually really really difficult to quantify how "finished" an area is. You might find new bugs, or you might find something about the feature that needs changing or rebalancing, etc etc etc. It quickly started to feel inaccurate.

We've all but taken it down. I mean, it's pretty though, so it feels like a shame to get rid of it entirely. And it's definitely a cool feature. It just didn't work well for us.

We really idealistically tried to develop Starbound in a glass house. Everyone was really interested in how things were progressing so we tried to constantly show everyone how everything was progressing, any way we could. Not a lot of developers do this, and... I think now we know why. We still try to always let people know what's going on (though as a lot of people are quick to point out, there are things we can improve upon there). :)

RatixFarrence, Yzzey, Zurgh and 6 others like this.
  12. Woothie

Woothie Master Chief

Yeah, I totally get that. I know how hard it is to put a progression number on something as dynamic and unset as features in a game, especially in a game like Starbound. :p
    Either way, I just wanted to point out it's still in the web server, and liking it. Not trying to imply that you should get back to the headache-summoning work of trying and grade your work by completion again, no need for that.
    Just don't remove it, pretty please. It makes a nice relic and a fine reminder of the past <3

mollygos likes this.
  13. ThePenguinNich

ThePenguinNich Big Damn Hero

I just go on it to see if taht cake easter egg is still there.

14. SeaMichelle

They didn't wait. Every other day was a new thread saying how terrible Chucklefish was at managing releases and how they should burn on a stake overlooking a mouldy pool of diahhrea, or about how Starbound is "being held back" and that it "looks finished already" and that Chucklefish is "just one big conspiracy to get publicity".

No worse than it is now. Patience is a fictional dream in a big crowd of fans.

RvLesh, hiul and WoxandWarf like this.
  15. SeaMichelle

I liked that part of development when vehicles weren't just techs :s

16. hiul

hiul Void-Bound Voyager

i like the idea of dungeon protection so we unable to make or destroy the block for cheating until we destroy the core or boss inside and crouching for stealth stuff and swimming i just hope starbound can let us use joypad because my hand not accustomed using keyboard :p

17. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

GOD DAMN CHUCKLEFISH. RELEASE IT!

BlastRed likes this.
  18. R_C_A^

R_C_A^ Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes Tiy did say that, and im pretty sure it will cover all kinds of vehicles, not just legged ones, like mechs.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  19. Animator

Animator Cosmic Narwhal

I can see this being reused as some sort of visual guide for Starbound when it's done.

20. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

If I see a giant white penguin in Starbound I'm going to gloat to my friends so hard.