Research! (Logbook)

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Fishbertus, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

You know how you can scan anything and it will automatically give you information to put in your logbook? Well now I will make it even better or worse depending on your views! How thoughtful am I?

Plants and Tiles
    Quick Scan: When you first scan a plant or tile it will give you information on it's name, some basic properties and where it's found.
    Advanced Scan: If you or one of your scientist crew members do a lottle bit of research on a sample you collected it will now display it's name and scientific name, most of it's properties, where it's found and some things you can do with it.

Aliens and Creatures
    Quick Scan: When you first scan an alien or creature it will tell you it's name, some behaviours and basic properties and where it's found.
    Advanced Scan: If you or one of your scientist crew members do some research on a captured specimen it will now show it's name and scientific name, most of it's properties, where it's found, some history, and some things you can do with it.

Containers and Technology
    Quick Scan: When you first scan some technology (e.g. a weapon, machine) or container it will tell you it's name and some basic properties.
    Examination: When you somehow get a container open you will see what it contains (items, dialogue, audio etc.)
    Testing: When you find out how to use technology and learn about it you will now see it's name, advanced properties, what it does, how to make it (sometimes), etc..

Any thoughts?

Madmarlon likes this.
  2. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

Love it. Also, when scanning creatures in an advanced way, you could also learn about their DNA or even about their weaknesses to specific kinds of damage, or abilities! (Like, vulnerabilities to fire, regeneration over night, etc...).

3. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

Well, that could be counted under advanced properties. You could help and make a list of properties yo show if you wanted to. (Why not waste some time, :p)

4. Drithyl

Oh, I'm actually willing to do a list of properties for creatures, but I guess the devs have some things planned already. I will anyways post something like that soon ^^

5. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

Thanks. I just hope the devs don't make it so random that it's stupid.

6. Drithyl

I'm sure you will also contribute to the list once I post it :D

7. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

I like it. It seems like an Bestiary except expanded onto everything else. It also gives you a sense of improvement overtime.

8. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

More like take away the ideas I don't like and add the ones I do :p

Can you define Bestiary real quick?

9. Drithyl

A compendium of catalogued creatures and beasts?

10. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

Thanlks. We could work on some lists now if you wanted.

11. Drithyl

12. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

Woah, that's a lot.

I'll put the ones I'd like to use here:

Scientific Name
    This will tell you what the lifeform's scientific name is.

Life and Regeneration
    This will determine how much damage a lifeform can take before dying. This can be replenished with food and regeneration.

Stamina and Diet
    This will determine how much energy a lifeform has for moving, attacking and more actions. This can be replenished with food.

Attacks
    This determines a lifeform's attacks, how much damage they do, what else they do, stats, inflicted debuffs etc.. and how much stamina it takes to do them.

Actions
    This determines how a lifeform moves, how fast it moves, emotions it has, if it can fly, other actions.. and how much stamina it takes to do them.

Speciality
    This can determine if a lifeform will explode upon death, produce materials, be magnetic, seem statuesque then attack, have flames on it's back, etc..

Socialization
    This will determine how the lifeform acts with other lifeforms, other of it's specie, if it will merg or split into other lifeforms, how it reproduces, and many more, etc..

Vulnerability
    This determines if the lifeform will take more damage, and how much more damage they will take, when damaged by certain attacks, energy, materials, etc.
    It can also make them invulnerable to certain buffs.

Resistance
    This determines if the lifeforum will take less damage, and how much less damage they will take, when damaged by certain attacks, energy, materials, etc.
    It can also make them invulnerable to certain debuffs.

Drithyl likes this.
  13. Drithyl

Ok, maybe I should have classified them, but you just did for me! Also I think "Specialty" should be changed by "Abilities" or "Properties" or something like that.