1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Regardless of Administrator privilege, Starbound runs horribly slow and in low color (32 color?)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Elsie, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elsie

Elsie Guest

As of the hotfix around 1 AM Eastern US Time, no matter if I run 32 bit, 64 bit, administrator privileges on or off, the game suddenly runs terribly slow and in lower quality and less colors than before. I validated the integrity of the game's cache as well.

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

3. Elsie

Elsie Guest

Taking those steps didn't help me. I can't fix the issue. My game was running fine before the hotfix just now, so something went wrong.

4. The | Suit

The problem with skimming is you miss important information.

If you read after the first paragraph it will advises to post your starbound.log and associated screen shots.
    You will find your log here

[​IMG]

in the giraffe_storage folder.

5. Elsie

Elsie Guest

Alright, here is the starbound log text file:
    http://pastebin.com/FMBS9fDd
    I started the game, loaded a character, sat on the ship, then X'd out of the game. I notice it says OpenGL a lot. It should not be running OpenGL because I am consistently clicking the regular "Launch Starbound" button and even running it right from the win32 and win64 folders. I don't (and can't) have OpenGL drivers, if that also makes a difference. I have always played just fine running the normal version.

Here are screenshots of what the game looks like now. Dont mind the old-looking windows, its the settings i've always been on

[​IMG]
    The colors are simpler. The gradients aren't like they normally would, like it's in 32 colors or something now. this happens no matter what way i start it up, turning admin privleges on and off, starting in regular or openGL, launching from the folder or launcher. The game also runs very slow as well. I think the problem might be that even if I tell the game to load the normal version it opens in OpenGL anyway. It needs to stop doing that if thats the case.

[​IMG]

My game's never done this before except for one time when I messed with the config file. I did nothing like that this time, and deleting the config and letting the game make a new one did not help. :(

Edit: Also, reminder that this just started happening now, as of the hot-fix...[DOUBLEPOST=1422514054][/DOUBLEPOST]http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/directx-build-missing.89501/
    UPDATE: I think I know what may have happened....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  6. DiBBz

DiBBz Big Damn Hero

he/she is right in a way

ive noticed performance dipping for me and i have a mid spec PC

also Elsie to answer a small problem that you mentioned. the Direct X build is somehow not in the game atm for some odd reason (maybe someone forgot to put it in at the last second) but clicking launch starbound just hangs for most making most of us having to resort to openGL

but back on topic

i noticed it while exploring on my starting planet. its not as smooth as it should be. and i get stuttering sometimes as well as FPS drops

7. Elsie

Elsie Guest

Yeah, beacause anyone who cant depend on OpenGL Can't play the game right now basically, especially if they have lower end computers like myself. And its been like, all night and this hasnt been fixed. Where is the directX build???

8. The | Suit

You forget its humans who are fixing the issues not machines. They were awake till 6 am their time working on the stable.

9. Elsie

Elsie Guest

I'm not forgetting anything. I expected a better time after waiting so long. Forgive me, but 'm anxious to play now that I've been waiting for months for an update and that my friends are gettting to play my favorite game while I wait because of what appears to be a small oversight.

10. The | Suit

That honestly makes it sound as if your playtime is more important than their health and peace of mind.
    They are doing their level best to get a hotfix out - they are still in their office right now trying to fix the mac and linux issues.

I doubt the Dx thing was a small oversight, they probably had their reasons.

Smokey McDoob likes this.
  11. Elsie

Elsie Guest

Health and peace of mind? They released an update for the game, im sure they as game developers they understand with an update comes lot of work and you need to be around to fix issues. No im not a greedy consumer for wanting a game-breaking issue fixed. If it wasn't an oversight then I'm sure wondering why both versions of the game run OpenGL now because there would be no point in having 2 launchers for it, and it eliminates a lot of people who again cant play the game now.

12. The | Suit

That is exactly why they are still at the office pounding away at the keyboard without proper rest for 2 days working to fix it. But you will have to be equally as patient as they are struggling hard to get it done as soon as possible. After all they wanted the sale to be bug free. So they are under a lot of pressure to fix all the issues before the sale is over. Or a lot of new angry customers will pop up.

Smokey McDoob likes this.
  13. DiBBz

DiBBz Big Damn Hero

no one was forcing them to get the build out asap, no deadlines etc none of that

id rather them take their time and fully test and make sure if everything is fine before releasing the build out to the public.. these mistakes are not common things to just brush off...

thats a silly excuse IMHO saying "they are just humans" "they were up till this time" etc etc

they have all the time in the world. no point rushing something that has hardly been passed of by general testing... missing direct X build as well as major bugs that are being reported now is not a normal thing or a slight thing to easily forgive and brush off our minds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.