1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Random planets crash while exploring them

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Dragon_sissiy, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Dragon_sissiy

Dragon_sissiy Orbital Explorer

I'm hosting a server for my friends and I, and random planets decide to crash our clients. It literally is random and no error log is produced when the game crashes. Some planets work fine, while others, within seconds of landing on them crashes whoever landed on it. Anything I can do about this? Is it server related?

Edit: New finding. I also want to point out that not every player crashes on the same planets. So one person can crash on a planet and the other will be fine.

Edit #2: Some planets do not crash instantly. You can land on a planet, but once you hit a certain point it force closes the client. Once again the server just treats it like the person dc'd and not an actual error. No client-side log produced either.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  2. Dragon_sissiy

3. Dragon_sissiy

4. Chandrak

Chandrak Phantasmal Quasar

I dont think this is a server thing, but rather a client thing. Otherwise, there would be an error message or the server software would crash. I suspect the server is telling the client to load an asset that has been moved/removed.

5. Fleder

Fleder Pangalactic Porcupine

Got the same issue, as 3 others who play on my server.
    Some planets make either your client closing or, if you use 64bit client, make it freeze.
    But it is only on certain places of the planet, if i get the error at when i move a few steps form the spawn to the right, it does not happen on the left side until i come back to this spot.

6. Zkaface

Zkaface Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's what I meant in the other Thread - these crashes mainly appear on my linux64 server for me (32 bit client). But sometimes on my linux32 server, too....

7. Dragon_sissiy

I watch the server console constantly when we tested out which planets crashed. Nothing appeared in it other than the player dc'd. This is also on windows 7 64-bit. :3

8. Dragon_sissiy

So does anyone know of a solution or is it just the game itself being buggy?

9. Chadisko

Chadisko Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i have the same issue but a entry in the log (client):

[03:14:03.964] Info: Done loading Star::Root.
    [03:14:03.971] Info: Renderer destroyed
    [03:14:05.178] Info: Creating default Star::Configuration
    [03:14:05.178] Info: Creating default Star::Configuration
    [03:14:05.200] Info: Renderer initialized
    [03:14:12.253] Info: Renderer destroyed
    [03:14:12.757] Info: UniverseClient: Sending Handshake Response
    [03:14:12.890] Info: Creating default Star::Configuration
    [03:14:12.890] Info: Creating default Star::Configuration
    [03:14:12.926] Info: Renderer initialized
    [03:14:17.704] Info: Client received world stop packet, leaving: Removed
    [03:15:12.732] Error: Exception caught in client main-loop: (NetStatesException) Extra data at end of NetStepStates::load!
    StarException::StarException(char*)
    NetStepStates::readFullFrom(DataStream, unsigned int, double)
    NetStepStates::readFull(ByteArray, double)
    Monster::Monster(MonsterVariant, ByteArray)
    MonsterDatabase::netLoadMonster(ByteArray)
    EntityFactory::netLoadEntity(EntityType, ByteArray)
    WorldClient::handleIncomingPacket(shared_ptr<Packet>)
    UniverseClient::handlePacket(shared_ptr<Packet>)
    UniverseClient::update()
    ClientApplication::updateRunning()
    ClientApplication::update()
    StarApplicationBase::run()
    _SDL_main
    _console_main

[03:15:12.733] Info: UniverseClient: Client disconnecting...
    [03:15:12.806] Info: Client received world stop packet, leaving: Removed
    [03:15:12.815] Info: closing [ipv4]xxxx:21025 (1300)
    [03:15:12.815] Info: NetSocket read loop shut down: (SocketClosedException) Socket closed
    [03:15:12.833] Info: Renderer destroyed
    [03:15:12.833] Info: Application quitting!
    [03:15:12.833] Info: Client shutdown gracefully
    [03:15:12.948] Info: Shutting down Star::Root

it happens on opengl and directx 32 bit and 64 bit on the same planet

10. SilentDragonW

SilentDragonW Aquatic Astronaut

I've had a similar issue?

I was hosting on a server, and running the client in 64-bit, and so was my friend who joined.

Everything was working fine until we went a little to the right and approached a mine. (series of tunnels filled with random monsters and lots of boxes, but with tents and boxes at entrance.)
    At that exact moment the client crashed to desktop without a trace, the server continued on perfectly fine, and more or less oblivious as I merely lost connection, and when we connected using the standard open-gl it worked fine, but we tried the 64-bit multiple times and it crashed everytime we got near that location for both of us.

So you might double-check if you're specific issues only happen in 64-bit mode. It is experimental, but I can't effectively use it if random places could crash my client. For the short time I used it though.. bliss...

11. Dragon_sissiy

We've only been playing in normal mode. (Clicking on Launch Starbound rather than OpenGL or 64-bit OpenGL)

12. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

I've been having this issue too when my partner & I play together. Nothing on the server log, but the client will randomly crash on planets. It's escalated enough that I am completely unable to go to certain planets (including one I was building on) without crashing almost instantly.

We've confirmed this is a client issue as well, as in singleplayer, going to the planets which have caused issue in MP cause no problems whatsoever. We have no idea what's been causing it as we've been unable to pinpoint it to anything at all other than being a multiplayer bug.

For reference, this is what my Starbound.log said after I had crashed when going to a planet:
    Code:
    [01:15:08.969] Info: Client received world stop packet, leaving: Removed
    [01:15:09.605] Error: Exception caught in client main-loop: (IOException) Failed to read full buffer in readFull, eof reached.

[01:15:09.681] Error: Exception caught in client main-loop: (IOException) Failed to read full buffer in readFull, eof reached.

[01:15:09.741] Info: UniverseClient: Client disconnecting...
    [01:15:09.916] Info: Client received world stop packet, leaving: Removed
    [01:15:10.653] Info: closing [ipv4]75.67.0.42:21025 (1052)
    [01:15:10.654] Info: NetSocket read loop shut down: (SocketClosedException) Socket closed
    [01:15:10.665] Info: Renderer destroyed
    [01:15:10.665] Info: Application quitting!
    [01:15:10.665] Info: Client shutdown gracefully
    [01:15:10.854] Info: Shutting down Star::Root

It's worth noting that we weren't having this issue with the Upbeat Giraffe Unstable build, but when we switched from Unstable to Stable when it came out, things have only gotten worse and worse.

The game is unplayable now, I want to build but there's no guarantee any planet I pick will be a choice that won't crash the game. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

13. Fleder

Fleder Pangalactic Porcupine

I will try this planet on SP later that day and report, thanks Markelius.

Here is my testing with that planet on MP Server so far:
    Starbound: Client instantly closes
    Starbound OpenGL: Client instantly closes
    Starbound 64bit: ingame freezes, you can run around but not interact with anything, new terrain will not render, also monsters freeze, then the client window freezes

will update later on whether this happens on SP too

14. Dragon_sissiy

Thanks for the feedback guys. Keep posting any logs you get, IF you get any from this kind of crashing.

15. Zkaface

The only error, my log shows is the same or at least the same as the error from Chadisko:

These errors appear if a user has a irregular Item -> But this is not causing the random crashes for server or client!

16. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

So a planet I was exploring started crashing again, and when the planets start crashing for me, I can't go on them at all without the game crashing almost instantly.

In a moment of curiousity, I tried with the 32bit OpenGL version of starbound (been using the 64bit one) to see if the problem persisted, and it did, but this time I got a much more descriptive error.
    Code:
    [16:28:21.168] Info: Renderer initialized
    [16:28:27.139] Info: Client received world stop packet, leaving: Removed
    [16:28:28.040] Error: Exception caught in client main-loop: (IOException) Failed to read full buffer in readFull, eof reached.
      IODevice::readFull(char*, unsigned int)
      DataStream::readStringData(ByteArray)
      DataStream::operator>>(String)
      void DataStream::readContainer<HashSet<String, hash<String, void> >, void DataStream::readContainer<HashSet<String, hash<String, void> > >(HashSet<String, hash<String, void> >)::{lambda(DataStream, String)#1}>(HashSet<String, hash<String, void> >, void DataStream::readContainer<HashSet<String, hash<String, void> > >(HashSet<String, hash<String, void> >)::{lambda(DataStream, String)#1})
      NetStatesData<HashSet<String, hash<String, void> > > NetStepStates::addData<HashSet<String, hash<String, void> > >(HashSet<String, hash<String, void> >)::SerializerImpl::read(DataStream)
      NetStepStates::readField(unsigned int, DataStream, double)
      Object::readNetData(ByteArray)
      ObjectDatabase::netLoadObject(ByteArray)
      _SDL_main
      _console_main

[16:28:28.117] Error: Exception caught in client main-loop: (IOException) Failed to read full buffer in readFull, eof reached.
      DataStream::readStringData(ByteArray)
      DataStream::operator>>(String)
      void DataStream::readContainer<HashSet<String, hash<String, void> >, void DataStream::readContainer<HashSet<String, hash<String, void> > >(HashSet<String, hash<String, void> >)::{lambda(DataStream, String)#1}>(HashSet<String, hash<String, void> >, void DataStream::readContainer<HashSet<String, hash<String, void> > >(HashSet<String, hash<String, void> >)::{lambda(DataStream, String)#1})
      NetStatesData<HashSet<String, hash<String, void> > > NetStepStates::addData<HashSet<String, hash<String, void> > >(HashSet<String, hash<String, void> >)::SerializerImpl::read(DataStream)
      Object::readNetData(ByteArray)
      ObjectDatabase::netLoadObject(ByteArray)
      _SDL_main
      _console_main

[16:28:28.195] Info: UniverseClient: Client disconnecting...
    [16:28:28.380] Info: Client received world stop packet, leaving: Removed
    [16:28:29.461] Info: closing [ipv4](redacted) (1124)
    [16:28:29.462] Info: NetSocket read loop shut down: (SocketClosedException) Socket closed
    [16:28:29.472] Info: Renderer destroyed
    [16:28:29.473] Info: Application quitting!
    [16:28:29.473] Info: Client shutdown gracefully
    [16:28:29.603] Info: Shutting down Star::Root

No idea what it means, but it's more than I usually get.

lannihamm and Zkaface like this.
  17. Zkaface

Right, Markelius, I got the same error (32 bit Linux with 32 bit Windows client). But without OpenGL!

Code:
    [23:08:59.598] Error: Exception caught in client main-loop: (IOException) Failed to read full buffer in readFull, eof reached.
      DataStream::readVlqI(long long)
      DataStream::readVlqI()
      Monster::Monster(MonsterVariant, ByteArray)
      MonsterDatabase::netLoadMonster(ByteArray)
      _SDL_main
      _console_main

[23:08:59.600] Info: UniverseClient: Client disconnecting...
    [23:08:59.627] Info: Client received world stop packet, leaving: Removed
    [23:08:59.636] Info: closing [ipv4]ofsg.eu:21025 (1472)
    [23:08:59.637] Info: NetSocket read loop shut down: (SocketClosedException) Socket closed
    [23:08:59.651] Info: Renderer destroyed
    [23:08:59.651] Info: Application quitting!
    [23:08:59.651] Info: Client shutdown gracefully
    [23:08:59.790] Info: Shutting down Star::Root

Every single time at the same position!

Markelius likes this.
  18. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Still happening with Upbeat Giraffe Stable Protocol 666. Please fix! The game is unplayable now. :(

CrimsonGiraffe likes this.
  19. Morticharr

Morticharr Void-Bound Voyager

Also having this issue but apparently a couple of my friends aren't. It's a very frustrating bug since it seems to happen primarily on Extreme-danger planets which makes mining a pain..

20. Dragon_sissiy

Even with the recent updates this issue still occurs randomly. Planets that crash are deemed "crash planets" and have to be avoided, even after restarting the server.