Questions about Localization.

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Targal, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Targal

Targal Void-Bound Voyager

Hello, My name is Sejin Park from Korea. I have some qustion about Localization.

1. Terraria, Tiy worked with, has been programmed by XNA, and it has the problem that some unicode characters like korean can't be input. as this, many non-english players experienced inconvenience to play. As XNA's original problem, Terraria developers can't fix this problem, even if they tried to fix.
    I know you've being programmed Starbound by C++. There's no problem such as for Starbound. I'd like to know if you let players chat with their native language or not.

2. If you planned to let players chat freely, I'd like know If you think game localizing also. If you don't so, I wish you'd make the game user-freely-localizable like editing script texts in game folder.

3. (I don't think It would happen) if you're looking for Translator for localization officially, I can help that as part of Korean. :)

PS. as my english is not that good, if you had some problem to understand to read this, Plreas tell me about that.

PS2. the reason I mentioned Terraria is I want Starbound to become more fun playable than Terraria being comparable with Starbound. and I know Re-Logic and Chucklefish is different.

2. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Currently we're using UTF-8 strings for everything; however, the font we're using is actually very incomplete sadly, this is something that may change as we get closer to release. I do not know yet. Localization may not hit until post release but it is planned.

Hamit Oezdemir and Second_Fry like this.
  3. Second_Fry

Second_Fry Aquatic Astronaut

I can translate it from English to Russian. I can even try to draw proper font for it.
    Do devteam have any thoughts about how translating process will appear? 1 person or small team will translate or will it be like contest or like a project on github (so anyone can contribute)?

Looka, Uan and Terret like this.
  4. Omatsu

Omatsu Big Damn Hero

I can translate it to Portuguese, if you guys wanted to. I would just need 2 or 3 more people to help, depending on the amount of text to translate

5. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

I can help with Malay (not that it's a popular language) but Goodle translate can help you with almost anything

6. Bernardolima95

Bernardolima95 Void-Bound Voyager

I would love to help with the Portuguese translation.
    I'm from Brazil by the way.

7. Google Translate isn't the greatest for coherent sentences most of the time, sadly.

8. Omatsu

Omatsu Big Damn Hero

Me too :rofl:

9. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

The problem with grammar....

10. Steam Pirate

Steam Pirate Space Kumquat

I can help.

Second_Fry likes this.
  11. Woodbin

Woodbin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can translate into Czech. I have a bit of experience, I translated some mangas and I helped with translating GMOD to czech. But there is a problem with the fonts, because in czech we use letters like š, ř, č,ž, ň, ď and so on. And these are sometimes omitted in fonts.

12. c2h5oc2h5

c2h5oc2h5 Phantasmal Quasar

Come on, translating any phrase longer than two words in Google translator is just plain _wrong_. ;) Especially in commercial product. Bah, when I see all those apps translated by GT in Android Market I instantly know what I will not buy/install :p.

Anyway, keeping fingers crossed for regional characters & game translation!

13. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

English -> Danish, if needed :) just need the added fancy letters æ ø and å.

14. Lyraris

Lyraris Void-Bound Voyager

Hi.I also could translate english to greek ,with no problem.But guys in second thought if we get to translate the game to our home languages that would mean that we will have to deal with every quest every item in the game,in short everything.That it would be too much of a Spoil.We will lose all the fun of the mystery and exploration. :cry:

15. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

Nobody sensed any hint of sarcasm in my previous post. I feel sad.

16. sisterofthesea

sisterofthesea Aquatic Astronaut

I can help a team to translate to French if necessary. I'm from Québec (Canada) though, not France.

17. Haruhi Suzumiya

Haruhi Suzumiya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like how this went from a question about how the game will be localised, into a thread about people wanting to help with translations...
    Will help with english translation btw...

18. appleboy66g

appleboy66g Void-Bound Voyager

Oh Slendy, I found one of your notes. You want it back? It was in my locker

19. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

I also found one. I'm using it as the sole of my shoe since my sock is wet.

20. appleboy66g

appleboy66g Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds fancy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.