Modding Help Question about making your own outpost

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Luminaesthesia, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Luminaesthesia

Luminaesthesia Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey everyone, after playing through the nightly a little bit I found that I didn't have enough space for all my stuff on my ship, and thought that the new amount of crafting objects was a good way for the dev to say: get a home to store your stuff. That's great, and I enjoy building, but I know some people don't, so I thought it would be cool to have a mod where you get a little teleporter that takes you to your own outpost without any NPCs. So far I've created a new dungeon that copies most things from the normal outpost, but I made it's not protected so you can place and edit blocks, and it's overran by mushroom monsters instead of NPCs. So far, so good.

Only problem is when I exit the game, even after mining around and taking stuff from the outpost, when I come back everything is as it originally was. Considering the whole point of my mod is to give the players a "sandbox" base to build with, not having your progress saved is kind of a big deal. Basically, is there any way to save the state of the unique dungeons? Is it something to do with base file being from the outpost? I'm pretty sure when you edit stuff in vanilla dungeons it would stay that way, but I don't know if unique worlds/dungeons are different. Any help is appreciated, thanks for your time everyone.

2. World dungeon s are different in that they are "instanced" or in simple terms "duplicated and only exist for a short time". The second you leave the instance the world is deleted and a new one is made when you join again.

I don't know of any way to change that behaviour at this time though.

3. Luminaesthesia

Luminaesthesia Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was afraid of that. My only work around is to create an NPC that sells outpost exlusive objects and materials for cheap so you can create your own. It would be pretty cool to have a way to have mini dungeons that could be saved and shared though! Thanks again for the quick help!

4. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

This is a great idea and I'd love to see this, myself.

You should try chatting to the Devs about this and ask them about changing the behavior or ask them if they might have a workaround or be able to implement a workaround soon.
    Maybe you already know, but I've heard the Devs occasionally hang around in a modding-specific IRC channel. I believe severed has more details on that, if you'd like to participate.

5. ##starbound-modding

Its not like its a secret or anything....

6. Whale Cancer

Whale Cancer Big Damn Hero

7. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

I know it's not a secret. I just didn't remember the link. :) The link on the main page only goes to #starbound.
    Thanks.