Modding Help Porting mods from Enraged Koala to Upbeat Giraffe

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Markelius, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

So, I maintain a modpack with quite a few mods for a server my partner and I host, and while we haven't had the server up for the past few months because we were waiting for the update, lots has changed.

The new merge code is one thing, I'm going to have to re write the merge code for a lot of the mods we use in order for them to work with the new unstable build. However, is there anything else I should know? Any LUA scripted mods which won't work anymore in the new version? Any core functionality which has changed that will break older mods?

I know one of the mods we really enjoy is Madtulips ship mod, not only for the ship customization, but for it's aesthetic blocks, and building scanner. Automation with Starfoundry is also something I've wanted to get into, and some of the people on our server already had. There's also a bunch of little mods like Gravitron Elevators (might be the wrong name?), Force Gates, and Planetside Teleporters which we really enjoyed and used quite a bit. Would these even work in the new build? Could they even be ported?

Anyways, I'm eager to know what needs to be done to port these mods so I can get back to playing this game again. And fooling around with the new modding functionality (space dungeon API!).

2. procat

procat Void-Bound Voyager

I've heard that you can edit the modinfo file and set the version to the newest one

3. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

But versioning dependant on modinfo files was abandoned almost a year ago? Is there something I don't know?

4. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah.... That isn't going to work, though.
    There is a ton more work to update the mods than just changing the version. (You actually don't even have to have the version in your modinfo file anymore.)

TC, I'm not familiar with any of the mods you mention, but for the most part some structural things have been changed that might need tweaking. Nothing really huge I don't think. You'll see the errors when you get to one, I'm sure.

One of the biggest changes I know of is races. They require a significant amount more content than before. They require 8 ships (one for each 'tier' upgrade) rather than just one. They require several new files for AI, and various other things that never used to exist.
    If you have no races, then I think you'll be fine. Just watch for structure/format difference when you're updating the merge code to the new patch format.

Dunto and The | Suit like this.
  5. procat

procat Void-Bound Voyager

I figured that wouldn't work anymore