Modding Help [nightly] unique monster -> friendly?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by ThisIsPatrick, Nov 23, 2014.

1. ThisIsPatrick

ThisIsPatrick Scruffy Nerf-Herder

hey,

so basically i'm trying to get the penguin soldiers (general, trooper, rockettrooper) to not attack me but my enemies.

i already tried to find monster parameters but
    "monsterParams" : { "aggressive" : false} from \objects\spawner\monsterspawner doesn't work.

changing the monster 'type' from unique to generated (?) caused a huge mess in my folder. xD

i guess this has something to do with behavior.lua which i dont know anything about. :(

anyone up for editing \monsters\boss\penguin\behavior.lua or know what could be wrong?
    would love to have penguin guards :)

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

3. ThisIsPatrick

thanks for the quick response.

i actually use the spawner files as templates, but i cannot spawn a friendly MONSTER.

npc spawners require a race, which i cannot do without editing humanoid.config, which would in turn mess up all the other races.

this is why i tried (and failed xD) to make the monster 'generated' like \monsters\ground\smallbiped but i hope there's a way to use the existing monstertype.[DOUBLEPOST=1416779971][/DOUBLEPOST]maybe it wasn't clear in the first post.

the monsterspawner.object has parameters called 'aggressive'
    i tried setting it to false already and i couldn't find more target/aggro related things in other .monstertypes.

i already spawned the monsters but i cannot get them to behave :(

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  4. The | Suit

Nope still the wrong question.
    I wasn't suggesting you use the spawner to spawn it.

Spawning a monster is easy.
    The question of would have been -
    Code:
    Why are the Spawned NPC gaurds friendly to the player?
    After all if the behavior file dictates how the creature behaves. Only thing left is to compare its programming.

5. ThisIsPatrick

well probably because of the .lua - but this is why i'm here.
    i have no idea what to take / look for in those files.. not even talking abount putting the stuff together

i never got anything to work when editing .lua because i have literally no idea what i'm doing..
    json was quite challenging by itself for me as a hobbyist.

i tried merging the behavior .lua files before, but then i was hunting down errors i don't know the meaning of.

i already spent hours just on this problem, i'm not afraid of trying myself but .lua is just too much to pull out of a hat .
    the frustrating thing is i can imagine the solution is quite simple -.-

6. The | Suit

7. ThisIsPatrick

yes! this is what i was looking for.

thanks a lot! going to post here if i have any progress to report :)

8. ThisIsPatrick

ok whatever code i change creates only more problems ..

if its easy and someone has time - i would love to move on :)

9. ThisIsPatrick

yay another 5hrs WASTED

main.lua and behavior.lua aren't setup the same way.. i can't just put them together..

and i always end up at monster =/= npc

i just want to change a tire.. not build a new car -.-

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  10. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

I think I have a method, I was able to turn the bone dragon friendly. ((SUCK IT HIKARI CORALE, YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN TAME DRAGONS.))
    *ahem*
    Anyway, can you specify? Do you want to make every single one of them friendly to you? Or do you want to make a few individuals friendly towards you? I can't help with the first, but if you plan on trapping friendly penguins in a zoo, I can help. You need to take a capture pod with star cheat, and change the creature type to whatever the penguin mob is called. The parameters making it friendly should already be in the filled capture pod parameters.[DOUBLEPOST=1417149178][/DOUBLEPOST]What you can do to make them guards, is to set their team type to friendly. This should be the default setting if you use the method I mentioned, but I think you can change the damage types to make them not take damage from you, but take damage from enemies, which will aggro them. I'll try to figure it out more when I get to a computer. They won't have the ai to follow and teleport to you, but they should be friendly.

Moon Star likes this.
  11. ThisIsPatrick

how do you mean every single one? i mean the 3 walking ones that came with the ufo boss.

i read in another thread those 3 monsters are setup differently from the rest so it would require recoding the entire behavior / state update to get them be capturable/ friendly (which is why the 'agressive' parameter isn't working in the first place)

what i was trying to do is make them friendly / not agressive like normal monsters you encounter - the 'agressive' parameter isn't working.

npctypes (guards) require a race and items as far as i can see in the files.

adding the capturepod scripts doesn't work - different behavior setup than the rest of the monsters

still trying things, setting them up like the regular monsters are but i seem to miss something..
    giving me crashes without log entries sometimes - other times its just .lua error :(

always ending up in .lua :(

12. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

By every single one, I meant, any penguin that spawns, regardless of whether it's a suicide bomber, trooper or tank. Were you trying to change their ai completely? Do you have star cheat? I can upload a file of a capture pod with friendly penguins, and you can take it apart and figure out how it works.

13. ThisIsPatrick

oh, just the penguingeneral, penguintrooper, penguinrockettrooper.

they should act like a normal monster would

haven't looked at starcheat yet - i can acces the filled capturepod data?

probably should take a look at it then

14. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

What you can do, is capture any passive mob, and change the monster type to the penguin mob name. The things making it friendly should already be in place, so all you need to do is throw the pod where you want then to be.

15. ThisIsPatrick

oh ok i see, more like a workaround though :D

but if that works... maybe retry building the monster from scratch

16. Moon Star

Moon Star Cosmic Narwhal

Sorry for this being unrelated, but that post made me grin.
    Also I'm going to be watching this thread, because this has some questions that are answering some of mine.