Negative light

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Inferno_Draconis, Jun 13, 2012.

1. We already know that Starbound is going to feature lighting effects. What if there were also effects which lower the light level around them, as if they were shining a kind of "black light"?

This mechanic could be used in a variety of ways, such as "Blackout" bombs, which create an area of darkness around the point of detonation, or monsters which radiate an aura of darkness. There could even be planets where the atmosphere absorbs almost all light, restricting how far a player could see on its surface, even with a torch, and possibly even requiring that the player aquire a stronger light source to navigate.

An example of a scene with negative light: Two players, Atrius and Novum, are chasing each other through the caverns beneath the surface of a dark planet. Atrius has just stolen a valuable item from Novum, and he is trying to get back to his underground base. Novum finally gets a clear shot at Atrius as he starts to scale a difficult surface, but Atrius drops a Blackout bomb, plunging the area around him into darkness. Novum fires several shots into the shadows, but cannot see his target and misses completely.

In a flash of inspiration, Atrius decides to head to the surface. He activates his jetpack and flies straight up past a small cluster of sleeping Darkbats. The Darkbats wake up and in their panic, project an aura of darkness around them. Novum hurls a flash bomb into their midst, which penetrates the darkness long enough for him to jet through the flock unmolested. He then reaches the surface, but here the atmosphere absorbs light, and the light of his torch is abruptly snuffed out. He unpacks a floodlight from his inventory and sets it up, generating enough light to see for some distance, but by this time, Atrius is long gone.

As always, any thoughts are welcome.

Vesuvia, Arbiter, Maw and 34 others like this.
  2. LightHoof

LightHoof Pangalactic Porcupine

Anti-photon generators ,eh? By the way, every atmosphere absorbs light. Amount of energy absorbed depends on atmsophere transparency. So, each planet should be a bit darker, than space. May be add something like fog to the planets you are talking about.

Evinagro and Arbiter like this.
  3. Kcribbin

Kcribbin Phantasmal Quasar

Maybe an ore that absorbs light? Could be used for better sneaking armor/gear or something, also could be used for the bomb idea

4. Daston

Daston Space Penguin Leader

Better sneaking armor? Are you aware that to be invisible you cant just stop reflecting light, you have to make light "slide" on you so the other guy could see whats behind you.I dont like the bomb idea. Its completely illogical to spend alot of money to develop such technology when you can just make the enemy blind with a flashbang granade or use smoke. The ideas of anti-photons and an ore which absorbs light are innovate but unpractical.

M C and KuroHinotori like this.
  5. Admiral Obvious

Admiral Obvious Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The sky is blue.

Fayd and Prophet of Deception like this.
  6. LightHoof

LightHoof Pangalactic Porcupine

That's already about diffusion, not absorption.

fkjac and The Corrupted [ITA] like this.
  7. Daston

Now i see where you get your username.

Axelth, Maw, fkjac and 7 others like this.
  8. I see your point about the bomb. Although I'm no expert, I would think it would require only a slight alteration in lighting physics to create "anti-photons". All the devs would have to do is add black to the possible colours of light. I have seen this implemented in Hexen 2, although in that case, the item that produced the effect (the Icon of the Defender, when used by a necromancer) worked by simply reducing the light level around it in much the same way as light sources increase it.
    When I said "absorb light", I meant that the atmosphere would absorb far more light than ordinary objects do, although I think an especially dense fog effect would be the simplest way to achieve this.

9. Daston

I still think that decreasing light level would be as much noticeable as incrasing it. Think about it: what do you do when you see a sphere(?) of darkness passing next to you? You wouldnt see what it is, but you certainly get suspicious, wouldnt you? So thats why it is not practical, but if you want to look grim, you are a goth or something or simply you want to play on the computer during the shiny day its perfect invention!

fkjac and Emmanuel like this.
  10. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Nice idea.

11. Sonic_BR

Sonic_BR Aquatic Astronaut

Good idea!
    I like it.

12. mrmcmo

mrmcmo Pangalactic Porcupine

which penetrates the darkness long enough for him to jet through the flock unmolested.
    Heh, unmolested.
    On topic: Great idea!

13. Zentennen

Zentennen Void-Bound Voyager

Well if the absorption effect is strong enough than you would create an entire area of complete darkness, similarly to a black hole. Physically I don't know any known way to pull electromagnetic waves but not matter, however, this is a game, with magic, anything is possible ^^. Maybe a complete darkness area would be overpowered though, I don't know. I like the bomb idea though, possibly there could be a type of spell for that too?

14. RuskinReynolds

RuskinReynolds Big Damn Hero

Well it's not really like black holes, coz they use intense gravity to pull in light, but the effect could just be a thick fog and animals and ore which give it off. The bombs I think are a worthwhile idea, they remind me of the Peruvian Instant Darkness Power from Harry Potter :)

15. Zentennen

Zentennen Void-Bound Voyager

I kind of explained the black hole idea, that gravity pulls in matter AND electromagnetic waves. If it was a magical ore than possibly it could absorb all electromagnetic waves ("blame it on magic"). That could work as a type of shroud for stealth users.
    I like the fog idea better though, consiodering that than you can make armor that gives partial stealth, not just full darkness. The bombs could work similarly.

RuskinReynolds likes this.
  16. Alvin Flummox

Alvin Flummox Existential Complex

Really nice idea, and it would pretty easy to implement. You'd effectively just have to make them reduce the light level to near zero and that would create the black effect. It would be great for designing adventure maps and stuff too.

17. Ghoschief

Ghoschief Phantasmal Quasar

Aha, this could be a LOT of fun. ;p

18. Ketoth

Ketoth Phantasmal Quasar

^ listen to him he is right

19. Eight

Eight Pangalactic Porcupine

I hope they do have it, then I will be able to make secret passages with traps and intruders won't be able to see them by using torches.

fkjac and Inferno_Draconis like this.
  20. Dance

Dance Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This sounds very interesting and should be considered!

Skulblaka likes this.