Nanotechnological Augmentation

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Sousuke Kuroda, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

Ok let me just get this out of the way: This is not magic. I am not going to suggest something akin to plasmids from the Bioshock series, the potential abilities you gain from Nanotechnological Augmentation would be limited to reality. Now with that out of the way, let us begin.

Nanotechnology
    This kind of thing would be a "post-Tier 10" improvement. I like to think that the kind of tech you'll be finding and using is far enough removed from Tier 1 that to new players you will essentially command godlike abilities. The best way to achieve such an effect, is with technology you cannot even see.
    No, I'm not talking about cloaking devices or invisibility fields, I'm talking about nanobots.
    Nanobots, if advanced enough, could give you a variety of realistic advancements, provided you have the energy and materials required. If this were to become a part of Starbound, I could see Nanotechnology being split into levels of complexity. I'll outline what I believe to the capabilities provided by augmentation with nanotechnology below.
    Basic Augmentation
    At this level, you have an improved health pool, slight shielding regardless of armour, improved lung capacity and, your bare hands can be used as Tier 3 mining and logging tools. The improved lung capacity could be tied into your energy pool, after the energy runs out, you begin to run out of breath, after which, you drown. Shielding would work as basic tier 3 armour.
    Advanced Augmentation
    Again, improved health pool, this time increased by a greater amount, shielding at the level of tier 5 armour, reduced energy drain when swimming, bare hands used as tier 5 mining and logging tools. As well as improved strength, using bare hands at the level of tier 5 melee weaponry. You can also survive harsher conditions at the cost of energy (ie. Cold/Hot temperatures).
    Extreme Augmentation
    Once more, an improved health pool by a greater amount. Shielding at the level of tier 8 armour, no energy drain when drowning, bare hands used as tier 8 mining and logging toos. Improved strength AND speed, using bare hands at the level of tier 8 weaponry and running at 2x speed. Can survive in the harshest of conditions at a far reduced energy drain (ie. Walk around in a vacuum without a space suit for some time). Jump height increased somewhat, as well as swimming speed.
    The above are just basic suggestions, the system is by no means a replacement for tier 10 technology, more rather just a fun little mechanism to strive for once you've mastered the final boss. Each level of augmentation could be discovered OR better yet, you unlock each advancement individually, much like the Deux Ex: Human Revolution system of unlocking biomechanical augmentations over time. You could essentially search the Universe for the data necessary for your nanobots to make the next big step in augmenting your body and turning you into a creature that can survive where others cannot.
    I don't expect this suggestion to make it into the game, but I wanted to share nonetheless, hopefully it gets modded in or something.

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

SPARTEN1337 X13 likes this.
  3. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

This suggestion is great! I don't know how it would work within the current game systems, but I love the idea

Shippo and SPARTEN1337 X13 like this.
  4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I never asked for these newfangled nano augs. What's wrong with mechanical ones?

Xobotun, Percival, Shippo and 2 others like this.
  5. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

Seems interesting, but, don't they have a similar feature with the "perks"? Also, giving the player all of the suggested buffs at the same time seems overpowered.

SPARTEN1337 X13 likes this.
  6. Sousuke Kuroda

Even in the Deus Ex universe they move on from mechanical augmentation to nanotechnology as soon as they can due to their versatility and such.

EDIT:

No more overpowered than the tier 10 armour and tech you will have by the time you can even get these augmentations. Its only overpowered in the sense that you can save a lot of inventory space without needing to take down mining/logging tools and different armours and such, and even then it doesn't match up to the tier 10 armour and weaponry.

Do remember that the difficulty of this game is designed in a way that even with tier 10 gear you will struggle on tier 10 planets.

Shippo and Jonesy like this.
  7. Jonesy

I know. They're easier to install as well. Just get the nanobot canister and take it to a med-bot, and you're set.

Sousuke Kuroda likes this.
  8. Soul Kazuma

Soul Kazuma Void-Bound Voyager

This would be a great idea not magic but like magic non the less.

9. Jonesy

Why is your text so pretentiously large?

10. Soul Kazuma

Soul Kazuma Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know I jest like it that way.

11. Jonesy

Fine. I'll be cool as well and "jest" [sic] make my text small and darkly colored so it's hard to read. The default text is too mainstream.

master1237 likes this.
  12. Sousuke Kuroda

I'll just continue using the default text because I'm afraid of change.

Jonesy likes this.
  13. 70calories

70calories Scruffy Nerf-Herder

this is a pretty neat idea sounds badass and very useful it gets a vote from me

Bow to me mortaals

Sousuke Kuroda and Jonesy like this.
  14. master1237

master1237 Big Damn Hero

Jonesy has the right idea with this text. All of you up vote him.

Jonesy likes this.