1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Meet the Florans

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ghostar, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

http://playstarbound.com/meet-the-florans/

So what do you guys think? o3o I'm quite happy we don't have a race of happy-go-lucky plant people that are friends to all, I'm a big fan of the carnivorous nature to them.

Q&A with Rho on the Florans.

Q: Hm I have one. Given their nature, does that mean that no matter what race you play if you come across a Plantie village they will attack you? (Since if the player is playing a plantie they are obviously an "outcast")

A: They'd treat you the same way they would any other race. You're just an outsider to them. A plantie village isn't always guaranteed to attack you, and there may very well be some neutral ones in your travels, you'll just have to keep your guard up when encountering them.

Q: From what I've gathered the florans aren't particularly warlike but just dont perceive other races as equals and perceive them as noms. basicly how we see plants food and fuel they see us the same!

A: This is correct. As a species they're relatively young, so their minds/society don't really know how to deal with there being other races, and what that means about them. They're beginning to though.

Q: Well, oh Rhoverlord, how do they actually repair ships? What kind of materials do they use?

A: The ships didn't really come with manuals so they figured out their own (weird, unsafe) way to maintain them through trial and (a lot of) error. They use the materials (and inventions) best known to them. Think Reavers from Firefly, but with vines and biomatter instead of blood and body parts.

Q: I'm curious what the "Blue flower" and "Red flower" actually means, if they have no genders?

A: That was strictly a mechanical limitation - I originally wanted them to just have the "male" body type. It seemed like a great idea at first but it posed a lot of gameplay questions that couldn't neatly be solved, so we just went ahead and gave them both types while keeping the lore thing because it was interesting.

As for canon explanation, I haven't really thought about it. Random growth? Mutation? I'll leave it up to you guys. The idea is that regardless of appearance, under the skin, both biologically and culturally, Florans are all exactly the same.

Q: I'm just guessing here but knowing how they make babies seems a big concern for people in this thread :p

A: Something I hadn't devoted much thought to either, at least beyond "the way other plants do". I'm not much of a biologist, so I could leave that up to you guys too. Maybe they DO just rub their butts together? Floran mating ritual? The only thing I do know is that they socially reproduction isn't "pleasurable" for them, and they see it as just a thing they have to do to survive.

All found here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/meet-the-florans.11671/page-11#post-387412

2. Xendhaius

Xendhaius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love the architecture and aesthetics that Florans have. Though I'm not sure they will be my race of choice, I look forward to getting their schematics. Also, thank you for the link.

3. Belzac

Belzac Subatomic Cosmonaut

There is a robot on the roof ;D I love meet the series ;D So awesome. Can't wait!

4. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

[​IMG]
    I love this picture!

TrinityMoon, M C and Patrick like this.
  5. Maos

Maos Void-Bound Voyager

I agree. Before I was skeptical of a friendly cute little plant race. But now that there is a darker carnivorous back story to them I can respect them a lot more now. Although i don't think they'll be my race of choice either.

TrinityMoon and Crystan like this.
  6. Sadron

Sadron Ketchup Robot

Anxious~

7. I didn't know robots can be perverts.

Volcanus, Cellbind, Noc and 6 others like this.
  8. shcfyd

shcfyd Subatomic Cosmonaut

huzzah! another distinctive race well done! and the buildings look great!

9. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

I think the green lights are bio luminescent.
    The Florans have a lot of poses, looks good! I still think I'll be a Floren for my first play through.

10. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Avians for dinner.

11. They're Asexual.
    Both of them.
    At least, I THINK the robots are unisex.

12. Kesk

Kesk Phantasmal Quasar

Nice change of pace from the whole "Friendly Forest People" most people use.

ziga likes this.
  13. More of a reason to feel perverted :I

14. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

finally some back story of the florans!
    quite a good read, im much more interested about them now then before after reading their back story: not to mention 2 new screen shots :coffee:

im even more excited to play as a floran loner/drifter type of character once starbound releases

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

So if they're unisex, how do they reproduce?

16. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Same way all plants do.

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

They are plants,I suppose they plant themselves.

DevonDe and Axe Garian like this.
  18. Kesk

Kesk Phantasmal Quasar

Well, they're plants... So seeds?

19. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

maybe every once in a while they simply expels spores one way or another and those spores settles somewhere and grow up into new florans. maybe they exude those spores like we would sweat or maybe they puke a bunch of time from time to time

edit : also, im liking a lot more now with the canibalistic background

20. Patrick

Patrick Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Bender from Futurama?

WoxandWarf, Cellbind, ziga and 4 others like this.