[mechanics, items] Teleporter Pad

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Lulero, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Lulero

Lulero Space Hobo

Hi !

I have seen a number of post asking for a way to modify your "beam down point" from the ship. I think there's another, better way to address the travelling issue.

Basic idea:

Pretty simple, the player can craft
    5 different types of pads; one for every direction (up, down, left, right) and a last one as the destination. It's not linked to the one in the ship.

When the player uses one of the first 4, the game checks for a destination pad in the direction set.
    It has to match perfectly, you can't just place the pads and hope it will work. Would be easier if there was a way to know your exact coordinates on the planet, but it's doable just fine without.

What for?

• Underground complex. You can now beam down from your ship to the surface and use a teleport down pad from there. To go back up, you can setup a similar pattern.
    • Fast travelling on your industrialized planet, home or not.
    Limitations and possible abuses:
    Because the coordinates have to match, it's hard to abuse the pads. To escape an underground battle for explample you would not only need to place your pad mid-fight but also hope there's a matching destination pad somewhere above.

Also not very easy to use it while mining, at least until you reach bottom. At that point it's probably worthwhile to setup up and down teleporters to make the trips easier. Note that you need to have it in mind when you start mining, you kind of have to go straight down no matter what to make placement possible.

And to travel arounnd on a planet you just arrived, without having a way to know your current coordinates you probably can't use them either as "checkpoint".

To sum it up, all it adds to the game is planetary fast travel in an area you pretty much own already.

Variation:

The same could be achieved with only one teleporter tab, that asks for a direction upon activating and act like a destination pad as well. However I like the idea of asking the player for a bit more work to make those functional.

Thank you for reading this. I'm not a native English speaker so hope it wasn't too hard. I also hope it wasn't suggested already, I did a search, browsed the last few suggestion pages, but I can still have missed it.

Lulero

TL;DR: The colored parts are probably enough to understand what it is about.

Sariaz likes this.
  2. Gazz

Gazz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This looks like a nifty thing to have on your ship.
    If it's on the large side and multi-level...

Can you have multiple pairs of teleporters?
    Like 3 pairs that go east-west on 3 different height levels?

Lulero likes this.
  3. SqualidMisnomer

SqualidMisnomer Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't think I'm quite understanding the entire complexity of your suggestion; but I'm guessing that the soon-to-be implemented feature coming wihtin the next couple of updates will definitely wet your whistle on teleporting around everywhere ;)

I'm just going to assume that you can teleport around the planet too, because I don't see why not.
    Source

4. Lulero

Lulero Space Hobo

Thank for answers.

Yes, because the coordinates have to match perfectly you can setup quite a complex network of teleporters on your planet.

Stargates are, as far as I understand, a space thing. In the case of this awesome Tiy's addition to the game, the thing to telelport is the ship, not the player. So, unfortunatly I believe it's not the same thing at all. All the teleporting around I suggest is local to the planet.

Lulero

5. Gazz

Gazz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

But you can use those teleporters on your ship, too?

6. Lulero

Lulero Space Hobo

Yes, I don't see why not as long as you stay on the same "map". The start and the destination pads have to be same one for it to work.

7. Sariaz

Sariaz Subatomic Cosmonaut

If the stargates that have been mentioned can't work across the planets surface (I'm guessing they wont be able to) then I really like the idea of teleporters, my only idea is that instead of having it be directional you could make it work of off the wiring system.

Lulero likes this.
  8. mala

mala Void-Bound Voyager

imho we just need a way to set the spawn point, make it with a restriction based on the number of solid tiles over it, no more than 20 should be enough to build it inside an house and make it useless to underground exploration

9. Sariaz

Sariaz Subatomic Cosmonaut

What if people want to have a giant castle? That would make the 20 block limit restrictive. I've noticed that even if you break out the back wall at some depths you cant beam up so i would just make it be that the moved spawn had to be above that depth.

10. mala

mala Void-Bound Voyager

you still can, just make sure the teleporter room isn't in the basement :D

or use depth restriction