Modding Help Making Guns(gun mod)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Xeric, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Xeric

Xeric Yeah, You!

hello can someone show me how to make a gun but not ghoul159's gun mod tut

I am going to make the icons and stuff i just want to know how to make it if u can pm me a download link for a very basic gun mod that i can copy and change parts so i can learn off it and make my own

2. Can you link the tutorial you used? Theres plenty of guns in the vanilla assets that you can already look at as well rather than downloading different things.

3. Olxinos

Olxinos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

severedskullz likes this.
  4. Xeric

Xeric Yeah, You!

yes thats it Olxinos

5. So why do you not like that tutorial? Everything is pretty much up to date aside from the __Merge as the Nightlies will have a different system in place for that feature.
    Also, were you able to find the guns in the default assets?

6. Xeric

Xeric Yeah, You!

i used the tutorial made gun mod and changed some parts to it and then tryed it but it came up with an error and quit game
    help

7. Olxinos

Could you please post your log file (i mean starbound.log) then? We could help you locate the problem, maybe you just mistyped something (rather than the tutorial being wrong).
    If you deleted your mod and played afterwards, remember to put your mod back in, launch the game and make the problem happen (a crash if i understand well) before sending us your log file.

8. Well then clearly you have done something wrong mate! Doesnt mean you should just give up! Thats part of learning... Make mistakes, learn how to correct them, and learn from the experience. As Olxinos stated, open up your log file and see whats up. Theres loads of information on these forums that will help you resolve the issues. There is a nice little post here that shows you what most of the errors mean, how to fix them, and how to prevent them from happening. If you can learn how to fix it by yourself first, I can promise you that you will have a much better understanding on how everything works rather than just following a set of instructions.

AstralGhost and Peelz like this.
  9. Xeric

Xeric Yeah, You!

my log file contents

Info: Preparing Star::Root...
    Info: Loading Star::Configuration from '..\starbound.config'
    Info: Done preparing Star::Root.
    Info: Client version 'Beta v. Enraged Koala - Update 8' Protocol: 643
    Info: Running from : C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\starbound\win32\starbound.exe
    Info: Starting from the title screen
    Info: Initialized SDL
    Info: Initialized SDL Video
    Info: Initialized SDL Joystick
    Info: Initialized SDL Sound
    Info: Opened default audio device with 44khz / 16 bit stereo audio, 2048 sample size buffer
    Info: Loading Star::Root...
    Info: Initializing SDL Window
    Info: Loading Star::Configuration from '..\starbound.config'
    Info: Created initial window 1366x768
    Info: Initializing SDL Window
    Info: Re-created window 1366x768
    Error: Exception raised during Root finishInitialization: VariantException: Improper conversion to double from string in get("power")
    float Variant::tget<float>(String, float)
    Variant::getFloat(String, float)
    ProjectileDatabase::readConfig(String)
    ProjectileDatabase::load()
    Root::reload()
    _Function_handler<void (), _Bind<ClientApplication::preSplashInitialization()::{lambda()#1} ()> >::(_Any_data)
    ThreadImpl::runThread(void*)
    BaseThreadInitThunk
    RtlInitializeExceptionChain

Info: Shutting down Star::Root
    Error: StarException: An error occurred during loading: VariantException: Improper conversion to double from string in get("power")
    float Variant::tget<float>(String, float)
    Variant::getFloat(String, float)
    ProjectileDatabase::readConfig(String)
    ProjectileDatabase::load()
    Root::reload()
    _Function_handler<void (), _Bind<ClientApplication::preSplashInitialization()::{lambda()#1} ()> >::(_Any_data)
    ThreadImpl::runThread(void*)
    BaseThreadInitThunk

ClientApplication::postSplashInitialization()
    ClientApplication::update()
    StarApplicationBase::run()
    _SDL_main
    _console_main
    Can u tell me what i have to do

10. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The tutorial for making guns you are following is ancient.
    Read the orange text in the guide provided by severed skullz and you will find out the mistake you made.
    The guide is there for a reason
    Code:
    Error: StarException: An error occurred during loading: VariantException: Improper conversion to double from string in get("power")
    The error states a number was inside quotes

11. Xeric

Xeric Yeah, You!

it says i cant have numbers after the power part

12. Olxinos

What do you mean by "it"? The error quoted by xxswatelitexx says precisely the opposite: the program expected a double (precision floating point number) but got a string (i.e. text, between quotes) instead (and can't convert the string to a double).
    Did you have another error message after changing that part, or are you referring to something else?

13. Xeric

Xeric Yeah, You!

{
    "itemName" : "Gun",
    "inventoryIcon" : "GunIconImage.png",
    "shortdescription" : "Gun",
    "description" : "I like gun!",
    "dropCollision" : [-8.0, -3.0, 8.0, 3.0],
    "maxStack" : "1",
    "level" : "1",
    "rarity" : "Rare",
    "inspectionKind" : "gun",
    "spread" : "1",
    "weaponType" : "Shotgun",
    "multiplier" : "0.50",
    "accuracy" : "100",
    "image" : "GunImage.png",
    "recoilTime" : "0.0",
    "classMultiplier" : "0.4",
    "handPosition" : [-5.5, -3],
    "firePosition" : [12, 3],
    "fireTime" : "0.1",
    "twoHanded" : "false",
    "projectileType" : "GunProjectile",
    "projectile" : {
    "power" : 16,
    "speed" : 80,
    "color" : [10, 255, 10]
    "muzzleEffect" : {"animation" : "/animations/muzzleflash/gunmuzzleflash/GunMuzzleFlashImage.animation","fireSound" : [ { "file" : "/sfx/GunFireSound.wav" } ]}
    }​

Can you try and help me like i dont know what to do and if you help it will help me fix other ones.

14. Dunto

Dunto Guest

All of these need to lose the quotes on the values (need to be "name" : value not "name" : "value"). There might be more that you need to change as well, the others in this thread can probably say for sure.

Derpiebird likes this.
  15. Xeric

Xeric Yeah, You!

thanks for the help, but stupidly i didnt back all my stuff up and my laptops hdd broke down or something like that and i dont have the files now so ill have to do it again. which it was a made one and i can get it again. well anyway thanks for the helpâ˜ș