1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Madness in Chuckleland

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SexualRhinoceros, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorvi

Gorvi Subatomic Cosmonaut

Its this type of attitude which is poison to early access games.

Serenity, Xronim and Darklight like this.
  2. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

I'm a bit confused to be honest.
    The only actual reasoning I've seen for not releasing stable updates ever is that people get pissy about losing characters, which is sort of understandable I guess.
    But why do the characters get automatically deleted? I know that in minecraft your save files are in separate folders from your game file, so when you update, you might not be able to use a character because it's incompatible, but you can download an older version of the game and play on that.
    But then again I know nothing about coding.

[edit]
    wow what a well thought out and rounded reply. You've really made me reconsider.

Oh wait.

3. Gorvi

And crap like this which keeps the devs very far away from the general community.

Darklight likes this.
  4. rhomboid

What, actually wanting proper discussion instead of self-righteous suck ups making snide comments on the sidelines?

For clarification, I do like Starbound. I do support Starbound. I do play Starbound. I mainly replied at all because I like this particular OP for using cites and sources.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  5. SexualRhinoceros

SexualRhinoceros Existential Complex

Its more to make sure that theres nothing in the inventory / ship that could break the game. I couldn't exactly say either tho.
    I'm glad you decided to come forward and contribute post 5 and 6 of this year towards my thread. I'm sure you're 100% aware of everything thats happened since the game went into early access in December including but not limited to: The 4chan /v/ thread being one of the only ones fully dedicated to hating the game, the steam community hating this game so much that a majority of recent reviews are bad, the reddit turning into AutoMod and help posts, and much much more. If not, then please don't flame random people in this thread when theres a mostly civil discussion going on :rolleyes:

6. Gorvi

• User was warned for this post. Reason: Losing their cool. Penalty: None.
    This is not a discussion. Its a baited slander thread. Nothing within this thread lists creditable evidence to support your claims other than insecurity, ignorance, and impatience. You can list all those websites without even checking the Starbound homepage for all amazing progress they are making on a near nightly basis.

Enjoy your hate thread while the mods are asleep.

SteamCloud and Darklight like this.
  7. rhomboid

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the lack of credible evidence. In case you didn't actually click on his links, [​IMG]
    These are the stats themselves.

And the only one of the Store Page reviews is good. It's also at the very bottom. The rest are all negative, and civil, with thousands of 'likes'. It's clearly the popular opinion.

Both of these sources have data, i.e. credible evidence.

SexualRhinoceros and Beatrice like this.
  8. Nimeni

Nimeni Big Damn Hero

I kind of see it this way: people critisising are actually helping the devs make this a better game; on the other hand, people defending and waiting forever for an update do exactly nothing. Critisising is actually a good thing.
    I'm impatient because I want to play a stable update and report the bugs and other things that could use improvement. I can't do this in the nightly.

This is not hating as your stating. We actually want this game to succeed, that's why we are complaining.

9. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Oh lookie a 68.8 GAIN in the last 30 days. For a game that hasn't been updated in months.

Seriously charts like that don't prove shit when updates take long to come out. There are tons of games to play and once the new update hits there will be spikes again.

Comparing this game to Dota or other multiplayer based games is also horrendously disingenuous

DOTA is a MOBA that has years of history behind it! It has a fanbase that is old and very loyal. The fact that it outranks Starbound is natural. They are from different worlds and using DOTA or any other MOBA or multiplayer focused game to argue that SB is dying is ridiculous.

You are putting up the grandson of the grandfather of an entire GENRE, against a completely new indie game.

SteamCloud and Serenity like this.
  10. EchoesOfRain

EchoesOfRain Big Damn Hero

You know, I tried making a thread quite a while ago, as just a suggestion as to how updates could be done, comparing it to the DLC/Overall improvement of the game Awesomenauts. Basically, just have a planned packaged update every one or two months. Leave teasers throughout the time period to increase hype while you continue to work on this package. At some point, release a "beta package" on the nightly for people to test for bugs and such. Once everything's been teased and thoroughly tested and fixed, release that to the public and begin planning the next set of updates.

Yes, I know it's probably a tad different since Awesomenauts is a completed game, but it's not like the game isn't being updated and improved all the time. There's no reason why that method couldn't be altered for CF's use. Maybe not for EVERY LITTLE THING that they add, but the big stuff that can really make a big difference in the game.

11. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I see things are getting a little heated. Might be an idea to cool off a little, guys.

SexualRhinoceros and Serenity like this.
  12. rhomboid

I wasn't comparing it to any other games. You don't need to compare it to any other games to see that Starbound was massively popular for several months at first and has utterly dwindled recently. Wow a gain of approximately 200 people. That's not even enough to count as data. Look at the all-time dip and you'll see what I'm talking about. Of course an older, larger, officially-released game is going to have more people. It doesn't even need to be mentioned.

You also haven't even acknowledged the negative reviews with thousands of 'likes'.

Beatrice and Pingeh like this.
  13. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

The negative reviews of which the majority sound copy pasted from the same template? The negative reviews that talk more about CF the company than the game itself? No I don't acknowledge those. I acknowledge This though

[​IMG]
    Source: Steam Store Page for Starbound

Serenity likes this.
  14. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Darklight has a point, most of the negative complaints are indeed from people whom hate not the game, but the company.

Some Mods have screwed up before, and mistakes were made, and people have a right to complain and dislike it but many of the negative reviews ya do see are indeed of people whom care more about the company than the game, they let the bad actions made afect things like the gameplay or storyilene and such.Many more are also uninformed about the development and unfairly call the Devs scammers, saying that indeed, tey left us all with just vaporware.

I say "care", but ya know what I mean.

And I was sure that the most acepted reviews were indeed mostly positve( last time I checked, in the all time most helpfull section, there were like, +-20% negatives and 80 positives%, still not bad), though I wont in any way atempt to dispute the obvious dwindling of the population of players, it is quite troubling to see such a great game with so much potential have nobody playing it.

In fact, im curious, any reason why the suden burst of people?
    Seems odd, nothign major has been done lately that justifies it, or did I miss anything?

Serenity and Darklight like this.
  15. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

The burst is rather puzzling. I didn't hear of a sale SB was on or anything. Maybe some streamer offered out some keys he had hanging around?

Serenity likes this.
  16. 40880472

40880472 Subatomic Cosmonaut

To be fair they did make quite a few changes to the game through nightly builds, why don't they just bundle up what they have to far and make that into a main update?

Pingeh likes this.
  17. yclatious

yclatious Guest

I got no idea why they havent done that yet, and I still wonder why.

They have already ade so much dammed content its like Terrarias 1.2 update, and its quite significant, having even changed the entire progression of the game, id be quite a solid update, andthey could easily just implement the rest of the features they work on over a month.

I mean, it would do us only good, bring back ol buds here, preety much slap around those who say that its abandoned and that its a scam, and overall, I see absolutely nothing bad about it.

Icarus wenta bit too far, lets hoep the same wont haen here, huh?

40880472 likes this.
  18. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

They have but from what I see in nightly a lot of it is still disconnected and theres wiring sticking out in parts. Not to mention there's no update for the FTL yet outside of admin commanding that expansion in. They can't really roll out an updated without the new ships or without completing the basic progression and making sure it is all linked up and working as it should.

19. Hello thread, in many threads like this i have shitposted in it until it got closed, but i will try just this one post.
    I honestly have no clue if starbound will even be finished within the year and will be very dissapointed if it turns into another cube world. I wish all sides of this whole thing the best of luck, and hopefully starbounds success.

20. 40880472

40880472 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh yeah how's Cube World doing now? I haven't heard of it for a while.

Serenity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.