Lights Line of Sight

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by FenixR, Dec 30, 2012.

?

What do you think of this?

1. Good idea

28 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. Missing something (Post what you think)

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. Bad idea

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

Relevant only plox. And i like the idea of the cameras more since realistically talking, you can't see whats happening in your living room when you are in your bedroom. But thats just me.

ProjectRay12 likes this.
  2. ProjectRay12

ProjectRay12 Phantasmal Quasar

True, but then again, sense when is seeing behind you realistic either. Meh, I guess it's just a matter of preference, still think line of sight would be a neat option to have!

3. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

I should clarify that glass would really allow you to see nearby rooms, as long as you are near that glass window.

4. ProjectRay12

Yes I know, but I meant being able to see all rooms even if say, there was a room in between with no windows, here's a bit of a model: # = room with window, 0 = room without window, @ = room with you inside with window % = room with you inside, no windows(all windows are in background layer)
    0#@
    all rooms with # would be visible, however if this was the case:
    0#%
    only the room with you inside would be visible.

5. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

Maybe something like this would work better if it was only underground, or in certain areas rather than every building?

ProjectRay12 likes this.
  6. ProjectRay12

I earlier said something like this, working only under a certain depth, but then there would be problems with valleys and mountains unless it was much lower, though I suppose it would work.

7. Crazyon

Crazyon Master Astronaut

I love this idea :D

8. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

Wish i had something more to say to bump this while tiy is online...

9. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

I love this idea, however you did not specify if players behind the wall would be visible or not, NPC, Creature, or Player.

I think that if the devs decide that this would be too annoying or that they just don't want it in the game, for some reason... I think the devs should at least consider cloaking devices, since this is a sci-fi game after all. With cloaking devices you could basically make anything invisible within given reasons.

10. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

Of course they would not be visible, the joke of this idea is to reduce the visibility of the game to increase realism to some degree.

11. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, I would like to see that in the game... As a client and server side option would be best for everyone.

Other guy mentioned fog of war being confirmed as not in the game... That's too bad, it would be awesome if it was optional or if there was thick fog on some planets which make it almost impossible to see what's infront of you without a flashlight...

12. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

I think a simple toggle for single player and for multiplayer the server owner can decide if it wants it or not, forcing the other players to have the option on at all times, it would lose the joke if half the players have it and the other players didn't

13. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, exactly... That's why in single player you would choose by yourself to have LoS on or off. While then it should also be a server side toggle, LoS on or off (forced for everyone in the server).

It would be interesting. :)

14. This is a very good idea. I had actually thought of it a while ago when seeing a Starbound clip. It would indeed be nice if the line of sight would work this way, with players only being able to see what their characters can directly see.

15. Chronolegionnaire

Chronolegionnaire Big Damn Hero

This is kind of what I was getting at with the lines of sight idea I posted couple weeks back. I like this idea better though as it is much less intrusive than mine. A cool idea would be to have "Difficulties" to it, easiest being off. In the hardest difficulty you would have to have direct sight on the light source to be able to see things get lit up. So say a 10 block high wall is standing in front of you, you couldn't see behind it. Medium difficulty would be that indirect sight on it still gives light. So you would be able to still see behind the previously mentioned wall, but the inside of a house or cave that is completely sealed will not allow you to see inside.

EDIT: To clarify you don't have to be directly looking at the light to see it in high difficulty, just have the ability to have direct line to sight to it. As in were you to draw a line from your character to the light, if the line hit an object vision would be blocked.

16. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

High difficulty seems too annoying to be honest.

17. wataru

wataru Phantasmal Quasar

I think it is not a good idea to overcomplicate physics. It will damage the gameplay.
    This feature will result only in larger amount of light sources installed by player in every corner.
    And amount of sudden monster attack, which will just annoy players.

IMO,
    It is the same with a pixel graphics. Why not make super-hi-definition textures, round corners and so on? It will look prettier!
    But it will distract from the main features of the game.

Keeper likes this.
  18. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

Hi definition textures don't add anything to the game other than make it prettier. And yes to some it may seem like an annoying feature, but thats why its suggested as a toggle for singleplayer and an option for multiplayer.

19. Eccentric

Eccentric Pangalactic Porcupine

This reminds me of "Monaco".
    You know that game?

20. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

Never heard of it.

Edit: Sad Day when the idea got branded with a "Probably Not" in the IRC chat :( . Mods will be the only hope for this idea to come forth then.