Landing on suns?

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Asbass, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Asbass

Asbass Master Chief

I'd like to know what other people think of being able to land on a sun, maybe swim a bit, or mine special, rare ores to make a certain kind of weapon. I think that it would be awesome.

Hueman likes this.
  2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. blackbolta

blackbolta Space Penguin Leader

you would die instantly from the EXTREME heat. stars are to dangerous and bright to do ANY of those. :V

ZobmieRules likes this.
  4. Squigles

Squigles Title Not Found

the sun "at least ours" is not solid. cant really swim or mine in gas and fire...

5. It's very NOT realistic, even in a futuristic game. It can break immersion, a lot.

What should be possible is exist Dead Stars that are already cold that we can land on. ;)

DaJoe85, TheDumbBagel, Jonesy and 2 others like this.
  6. An Incognito Tuxedo

An Incognito Tuxedo Subatomic Cosmonaut

The surface of our sun is more than 10,000 degree F and isn't even solid. Try landing on that.

Also, you already posted the exact same thing earlier.

7. lego98761

lego98761 Master Chief

In modern day space shuttles, your ship would literally melt. You would probably melt as well. Even if Starbound is set in the future, and you have spaceships that could handle the heat, there isn't really anything valuable on stars. Although, a fun way to suicide would be to fly straight into a star...

SLOW_oranges likes this.
  8. Baku Vicen

Baku Vicen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Your ship will instantly burn into a giant fireball several hundreds of miles from any star. You and your mates will become a BBQ party. Even with a super futuristic device that lets you survive in such extreme conditions: Why? I mean, it's a huge mass of electromagnetic radiation with no touristic views.

SnakeX likes this.
  9. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

I have to say, it would be cool if we'd be able to make a space station orbiting next to sun and land on it... :D

10. Baku Vicen

I know your point, cuz it could be nice to walk in a sun surface for a while. But beyond that, no more interest at all

Thinking it better... The Novakids should be able to walk in such surface. After all, they're gas based creatures or something. But beside this line, I can't see the utility of implementing this feature

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  11. blackbolta

blackbolta Space Penguin Leader

They can't walk on such a hot surface, there face icon thing would melt.

12. Rhayn

Rhayn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Guys dont worry. I figured out a way we can do it.. we will just go at night when its not on.... :up:

13. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

I'd really like to watch someone try and land a ship on superheated gasses.

14. SnakeX

SnakeX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was pretty much going to say the same thing; why do we need to land on a sun? Why would that be awesome? What "ore" are we going to find on a giant ball of plasma, gas, and extreme heat?

Given the wide variety of planets, moons, and other places we can explore, I don't see the purpose of forcing an extra thing like this that offers no real purpose.

15. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

Really this seems like one of those suggestions made out of ignorance, unfortunately not everyone has stars explained to them and its understandable that without the adequate education you might think it possible to land on stars as though they were solid.

edit: I'll just add, since he said suns, I'm assuming he means stars similar to ours. Thus the above statement that they wouldn't be solid.

Baku Vicen likes this.
  16. Baku Vicen

It's truly amazing and I can't even imagine some people could think in a star with solid terrain. I assumed they told it for what Smash mouth sang in their famous song: Walking in the sun

But you got a point in there, which education determines a lot in human future.

17. Rhayn

Rhayn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It is a sad fact that a greay many people today dont realise that our Sun is actually a star. Which is a shame really.

18. Baku Vicen

LMFAO x5

Serix likes this.
  19. Serix

Serix Void-Bound Voyager

Personally, that would break immersion for me and even in a futuristic game wouldn't make sense.

Baku Vicen likes this.
  20. XZile

XZile Scruffy Nerf-Herder

landing on a star, would kind of break immersion..
    Maybe the Novakid class should be able to land and survive on "cooler"/dead stars

...but then again... that would unbalance the class system...