1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping Minions in One Place

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Nalano, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Nalano

Nalano Big Damn Hero

Half of this post is just so I can show off what I took two days to make. The other half of this post is to kvetch about why my minions are baddies who get eaten by birds. The third half of my post (that's three halves) is to explain why it's so annoying to save my minions in the first place.

Ahem.

NalanoCo Enterprises has located, claimed and started construction of a home base on a jungle planet in the X sector conveniently located way too close to a tentacle world. Ostensibly this is to study said xenobiology from a safe distance, but mostly it's so that NalanoCo Heavy Industries can bore a hole to the center of the planet and mine it for all it's worth. The borehole, however, is yet to be undertaken due to the issue of finding good employees nowadays. So, defenses had to be put in place to save this odious bunch of reprobates from themselves.

[​IMG]

NalanoCo Defense Systems provide the safest in off-world installations, complete with automatic lockdown procedures at the merest hint of danger.

[​IMG]

Please do not attempt to leave the facility, as NalanoCo Insurance considers stupidity to be a pre-existing condition and does not compensate loved ones for work-related dismemberment. Please, think of your loved ones before doing something stupid.

[​IMG]

NalanoCo Enterprises provides the finest in housing and office facilities, with that home-away-from-home feel...

[​IMG]

...please do not attempt to exit onto the roof.

[​IMG]

NalanoCo XenoAgriCorp provides the safest, environmentally-friendly hydrocultural farming facilities that use recycled water supplemented by captured rainwater.

[​IMG]

These installations are, however, off-limits.

[​IMG]

NalanoCo Enterprises boasts a fully-functional underground transit system to minimize travel times within the facility and to neighboring facilities. Soon, this system will extend to NalanoCo Heavy Industries Borehole One just as soon as each employee signs a release and gives contact information for their next of kin.

Four underlings were harmed at the filming of this PSA statement (three to wandering off, one to friendly fire from the trigger-happy guards on account of a killer pigeon. I should do away with the Avians and just hire the birds) because wiring is still broken upon exit from the planet. After a great deal of experimentation and reconstruction following an extensive review of where the chunk boundaries are, most of the major issues are solved, though some are a bit more jury-rigged than others. I know that the most complicated wires I have are saved only because they exist in the chunk I beam down on.

All subway stations are locked, but the complexity of the locks get more and more limited the further away from beam-down due to the unpredictability of the chunk boundaries. I'm a bit loath to create some complex masterpiece in the next stage of the development if, six hours later, I realize I have to start all over again and move the whole thing twelve blocks to the right. Jaws will be clenched. Minions will be sacrificed and more will be hired to replace them. Please, think of the minions.

OobleckTheGreen, Terwin94 and Ryumaru like this.
  2. Ryumaru

Ryumaru Big Damn Hero

I applaud your dedication, sir.

3. Terwin94

Terwin94 Pangalactic Porcupine

Sometimes I think I want to build something like this. Then I remember I have adhd and building isn't on the "A" part of it

4. OobleckTheGreen

OobleckTheGreen Space Kumquat

That's one hell of a good job! :up::up::up::up::up:

Another plus one for the clever line about odious reprobates :D