1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Just wanted to drop in and voice some thoughts

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bombzero, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paco495

Paco495 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am afraid you have VASTLY underestimated this effort.

Izzabelle likes this.
  2. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

I, for one, am content to let the Steam community fester in its own hatred and weird, obsessive need to keep complaining about that thing they all don't like.

Maybe, someday, someone will care.

Maybe.

Paco495 likes this.
  3. Starbug

Starbug Guest

4. QuadX

QuadX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The opinions in the threads are fairly civil. Izzabelle banned me for a week for spamming when I was in fact not spamming.Nothing I posted was hostile, I feel Izzabelle has been abusing her moderation privileges and I addressed that on behalf of many members upset about this moderation. I asked others in the Steam community (which Izzbelle seems to think Chucklefish "owns") to lodge complaints to Steam about it. Feeling she has abused her privilege is not "hostility", it's simply a cry for help from others who feel the same way. Steam forums will never be a Chucklefish forum, the Steam community is in fact a separate gamer group whom has allowed your early access sales on the premise that what was promised was delivered. Complaints and opinions does not equate to a hostility. People are upset and expressing themselves, simple as that. I love the game as is and have never complained about it's development. I have only complained about the tactics of the moderator and it has clearly been censorship and not damage control, in my humble opinion it has caused more damage with that community than controlled the damage.

Pingeh likes this.
  5. Starbug

Starbug Guest

6. DukeOfRiven

It's odd that you should begin with civility and then show no trace of it yourself.

Heartstrings, Izzabelle and Zuvaii like this.
  7. Starbug

Starbug Guest

He's speaking for many of the downtrodden and banned posters. He's is kind of right. You can ...

....If you want, but banning people just strengthens their impotent rage.

Heartstrings likes this.
  8. QuadX

Please explain how I have not been civil?

9. Starbug

Starbug Guest

You admitted you were on Steam forums. That's a guilty plea and admittance you are a troll right away.

10. DukeOfRiven

Over the years, as both a commentator and moderator, I've learned something: saying a moderator 'abused their powers' is synonymous with saying a moderator 'used their powers.' No one likes having their posts deleted, or being told they're being rude, or uncivil, or acting in a manner contrary to the express will of fora oversight. Many people - especially Americans - tend to react to a moderator's intervention with complaint about freedom of speech (even though it is only a prohibition of government, rather than private, censorship.)

No one may like these things, but it doesn't their complaints valid. A moderator has been empowered to moderate forums according to the will of those who appointed. If you don't like that will, there's really nothing requiring the moderator or their superiors to care. 'Abuse' applies some moderator rule of law that is being violated. None exists. Forums are free; talk is cheap; and moderators are free to use their power as they please.

THAT BEING SAID, you're not wrong. I might disagree with what you said, but in terms of civility you said nothing overly objectionable, at least in terms of language. I retract my claim of incivility, and offer apology.

11. no7H

no7H Void-Bound Voyager

@DukeOfRiven

Who defines the "will of those who appointed"? That's what the forum rules exist for. Beyond that there is no legitimate "power" for moderators (hence abuse). Albeit banning the discussion of moderation might be legitimate, banning opinions is not.

12. DukeOfRiven

The forum is not public property; it is not a free space, a commons for citizens to gather and express opinions. Itis an owned space, and if the owners dislike you or the way you're speaking, they not required to accommodate you.

... AHHHHHH LISTEN TO ME I SOUND LIKE I'M ENDORSING A CORPORATIST POLICE STATE! That's a uncomfortable feeling, let me tell you.

I do think, though, that a privately-owned video game forum has no obligation to let you say or post anything. You're not paying to be here, after all, you have no consumer rights. At its most extreme, of course, you're talking about some bad PR fallout - but they still don't have listen to you, or let you say things to anyone.

Heartstrings likes this.
  13. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Chucklefish forum rules and Steam forum rules are different.

There are no rules relating to being jerks or space hobos on Steam forums. So we can be both of those on Steam with impunity.

14. Morsus98

Morsus98 Industrial Terraformer

Wasn't there some big controversy about how the mods locked a bunch of posts and threads already?

15. no7H

no7H Void-Bound Voyager

@DukeOfRiven

You are supporting my claim. Moderators are NOT owners. Moderators must not decide on their own what is appropriate and what not (unless specifically stated by the owner).
    I'm not claiming that everyone can say what they want, I'm claiming that - unless breaking forum rules - moderators have no power (except granted universally, which shouldn't be the case on any company/product-related official forum with external moderators).

16. I think the controversy was over 4 or so locked threads -- a few of which were duplicates or not relevant to Starbound. But to be fair, they were locked within a day. Maybe the root of the issue lies within the haste of the locked threads.
    Probs referring to either the condescending manner in which you presented yourself, or the Nazi comment I made everyone aware of. :confused:
    The opinions are of no consequence. The manner in which you express them are.
    Something doesn't actually have to be hostile to be considered spam. Also, I don't think Chucklefish owns the Steam community -- but I do know that Chucklefish is allowed to handle their allotted community in a manner that they see fit. Which is why I have also been posting that if you really want me removed -- it's not actually Steam you have to convince -- it would be Molly, the Community Manager who allowed me to moderate the Steam forums. I would have been happy to adjust your ban, lessening it based on your reasoning, had only you come to me in a polite and objective manner. From your behavior here, however, I now feel that my decision was not made in error.
    I would only ban an opinion if that opinion also broke the rules -- regardless of what that opinion might be. And sometimes, I might not even ban if I were feeling lenient about the severity in which the rules were broken.
    In my experience over just the last couple of days -- even the thought of moderation seems to be an affront -- whether by me or anyone else.
    Don't antagonize please

Hounskull likes this.
  17. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

It's annoying and dismissive to call all negative comments hating. That's basically saying you don't think it's rational to dislike something. I'm not talking about the goons foaming at the mouth making outrageous statements about being lied to or being scammed, those comments are dumb. But negative criticism should be at least considered and not dismissed entirely. I know this thread is sort of turning into a back-patting party but it needs to continually be said that negative criticism can be a good thing. Can't just look at things from one perspective.

Pingeh, Izzabelle and Starbug like this.
  18. From a moderation standpoint -- we kind of grit our teeth when having to warn, delete, or lock an infraction that additionally has criticism or feedback. Feedback and criticism is welcome -- but it needs to be presented in a way that doesn't tread upon the rules of the community in which the criticism or feedback is presented. The number one reason moderation is accused of censoring criticism is because the critic was not calm enough to present their concerns appropriately. The number two reason is because once upon a time, Finn edited out bad words out of a few user's posts over in Steam.

Heartstrings likes this.
  19. QuadX

Who decides calmness and condescending tones in and textual forum and format? As far as "to be presented in a way that does not tread upon the rules of the community" I really hope you're not falling on back on the bogus rule steam supposedly has about questioning or disagreeing with a moderator since a rule like that does not endorse communication and resolution of issues. Other than that most of the posts that I noticed were blocked did not violate any forum rules, I cannot, however, speak for others that were banned in the forum than myself, though seeing so many banned so quickly does make one raise an eyebrow and question it. You see, I feel the way things are being handled on Steam forums speaks volumes about how Chucklefish operates and treats paying customers of your game. I may not pay to use the forum as someone suggested earlier, but I did buy the game which entitles me to forum use and should entitle me to voice my opinion, whether someone "feels" it was condescending or not, without the threat of being banned or the post being locked. Keep in mind, every member of the Steam community is a paying customer of yours and this is not how you treat customers, regardless of the opinions

Pingeh likes this.
  20. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Il not comment on the rest, but this is just silly. Why would buying the game entitle you forum access? The two has nothing to do with each other, thats just silly.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Boshed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.