1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

It would be fun to have a Terraria like planet in sector X

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Arkitech, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Arkitech

Arkitech Pangalactic Porcupine

I would love to see at least one colossal sized planet with dozens of biomes, multiple bosses and enough content to play through for a few weeks at a time. I know that's asking for a lot, the devs have done so much already with the game. But I loved the experience in Terraria of building multiple houses and bases, sometimes I would even connect them with long bridges and underground tunnels. Has there been any mention of something like that in works?

artbot345 likes this.
  2. Jack_Kéther

Jack_Kéther Scruffy Nerf-Herder

this called "earth" otherwize it's take -+2hours for the minimum size planet to be fully explored (surface/underground)
    on a maximum size planet u can do 3 base it's take 2-3 IG days to visit all the surface,
    skyrail :) http://starbounder.org/Skyrail
    mmmh i' haven't read all the tread but it mention a giant dungeon ship (as large of a big planet)

3. Arkitech

True there's some big planets in SB but I haven't seen any one world with the scope of Terraria. I don't expect CF to do a replica of Terraria, but it would be cool to have a planet that it would takes 30-40 hours of gaming to play through. And by gaming I don't just walking or digging, but a progression of biomes and enemies to work through. Kinda like the progression it took to defeat the wall of flesh and then the subsequent bosses in hardmode.

4. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

so essentially the content of an entire game put into one planet?

Lazogna and Boshed like this.
  5. Jack_Kéther

terraria 1 planet=1 universe
    starbound =every planet has unique coordinates in the navigation console. These coordinates act as seeds to the game's internal random number generator, and as such, will always produce an identical planet when used. There are 12.667 quadrillion planets able to be generated within the game currently, with 422.22 quadrillion plannet."source : http://starbounder.org/Planets"
    so 12 657 quadrallion planets =1universe
    result : even terraria have a giant planet, terraria exploration can't match starbound.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrillion
    count 15 min for exploring the surface of a planet (approximately)
    now calculate how mutch life you need to explore all the universe in starbound (count 80years for a life)

u have one hour after reading this message
    further information : http://community.playstarbound.com/...-on-the-size-of-starbound.27178/#post-1063769

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  6. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Mods
    I can understand wanting to see larger planets with more content and that's exactly what they are doing. But it seems pointless to combine all of that content in to a single planet when it already encompasses a universe of planets. (Not to mention invalidating much of the planned content)

7. Flagdread

Flagdread Big Damn Hero

In reference to the op, yes that would be very fun. :DD

8. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

Right now the 'biome' generation of planets is beyond flawed. I've went to planets claiming to be magma and 90% of the planet was snow, for example. I've went to snow planets that had lava all over the place and I still was somehow freezing. I've found forest planets that were covered in magmarock and sand and had almost no trees. I'd prefer they have consistent biomes first, then work on unique planets myself. But, I actually consider this suggestion to be a good idea. It would actually make a more realistic-ish planet. Look at earth for example. You have jungle, arctic, tundra, forest, desert all on the same planet. Might be cool to have one pop up occasionally.

DrakeWymulf likes this.
  9. teilnehmer

teilnehmer Existential Complex

I agree with other posters stating that this would change quite thoroughly a concept that makes Starbound a different game than Terraria. In Terraria, exploration was done on one planet.
    In Starbound, you explore the universe (needing fuel, building gear to access new areas, finding bosses in some far away galaxy).

Asking for one Terraria planet makes the rest of the universe obsolete, but the point of Starbound is space exploration.

I believe Starbound should be played for its own sake. It's like asking for a Mario Karts track in a Need for Speed.

10. Conmaan

Conmaan Master Chief

Not to be that guy, but a lot of requirements for weapons and armors and items and such requires players to creat multiple worlds in Terraria.

The average amount of worlds a player goes to should instead be one "universe" for SB, not how many combinations there are. There are just as many seeds in Terraria, and players can take their same players to those worlds.

11. Jack_Kéther

do not take my tread too seriously,I just want to show him, while jokingly, that we can have many more than 40 hours without just walk and jump on Starbound
    but starbound is based on building/exploring not like terraria (much more like a tower defence/arcade game)

12. Arkitech

I wasn't saying just 40 hours for the entire game of Starbound, I was referring to having 1 planet with that much content. Outside of that planet there would still be more to explore and do.

13. Jack_Kéther

terraria is terraria , starbound is starbound, wait a bit more and may be the next update you will see the giant dungeon of the death (yeah i'm winting this one too :3 )
    otherwise i'm agree some planet is desert ...

14. Arkitech

Why would having a Terraria planet make the rest of the universe obsolete? As long as there's more to explore and do the rest of the universe isn't complete. I like the idea of a massive planet that would take a couple of weeks or more to completely conquer, it gives the game a bit more sense of challenge. I realize the game is incomplete by right now a planet can be explored (at least the surface) in about 10-20 minutes. It kind of takes away some of the fun of building lots of houses and bases. What's the point of going all out to build a base on a planet that you'll be bored with in a small amount of time. Whereas with something on a Terraria scale there's a sense of purpose in spending hours on end building up your base/fortress.

15. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

...But there is no more sector X...

16. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

I'm personally hoping the sector removal is a temporary thing for nightly, because removing the sectors and stuffing everything into just one big galaxy/universe with no division between the levels is just ASKING for trouble. Not to mention it will find making specific levels ridiculously annoying.

DrakeWymulf likes this.