Intelligent background tile display behind doors

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by Gene, Oct 6, 2013.

?

Have you ever thought existing background tiles behind door look strange?

1. Yes

53.8%
  2. No

46.2%
  1. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

This is a minor design topic, but I was bugged by it in Terraria, and from screenshots it looks like it's still an issue in Starbound:

door1.png

In above screenshot, you can see that the stone background behind the door is fully visible on both sides of the door. This makes sense technically in terms of block placement, but doesn't make sense visually or logically (if you build a house, your wall will not extend beyond the door).

I wonder if Starbound can have some intelligent algorithm that can tell whether the neighboring tile on each side of the door tile is walled in, or not. If it is not walled in, then hide the background tile behind that side of the door only, and show the far-away planet background instead:

door2.png

I think this straightforward change would help with building houses which feel more wholesome and less clunky.

MrZero, VonGod and Sarzael like this.
  2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

jintoya likes this.
  3. Nimja

Nimja Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm not sure about this...

Since we can see the back-wall, we should see at least the door-post it is connected to... Now if we change this suggestion to make doors include door-posts?

4. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

It's called a door frame. Doors are generally never flush with the outside wall, and the only time they are is when they have a special/ non-standard design and are specifically made to be flush with the outside wall.

Aey and Tairuse like this.
  5. Tairuse

Tairuse Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm going to have to agree with Active Link , I understand what you mean however I took Architectural course and i does make sense. Then again if someone wants their door flush with backdrop then it could be an option but i would change layout of backdrops only change the positioning of doors.