Ideas For Status Effects

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Red Space Monkey, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Red Space Monkey

Red Space Monkey Phantasmal Quasar

Status effects, or buffs and debuffs, are a nice way to add some more credibility and diversity to a gaming world or atleast to the combat system. In this thread I want to collect my and your ideas for status effects of all kind, especially some that are more or less uncommon.

- BABBLEBLOB -
    The Babbleblob is a parasitic lifeform that sticks to its victim with his gooey surface. But unlike normal parasites it won't hurt or weaken you, this little bugger annoys you by constantly babbling along about petty and irrelevant things, cluttering your screen with speech bubbles which simulates the distraction he causes. He will leave by himself after some time.
    - WORMHOLE SNIFFLES -
    The target is infected with a horrible disease, namely Wormhole Sniffles which can occur after travelling through a wormhole. For a certain time, the target will randomly teleport across the screen everytime it sneezes.
    - FROZEN -
    The target can't move nor attack. Damage dealt to it is increased drastically, especially fire damage, which will end the effect in return. Frozen enemies can be shattered into several pieces.
    - ETHEREAL -
    The target can pass through enemies and minor obstacles without collision, but the damage it deals is greatly decreased. Certain energetic weapons can hit targets in ethereal mode.
    - BRAINWASHED -
    The target loses his mind and fights for the one that cursed it with this effect for a certain duration.
    - CONFUSED -
    The target starts to wander around aimless, even ignoring things like fluids or dangerous cliffs. Hurting it will stop the effect.
    - TIMEBROKEN -
    The target breaks the rules of time and moves either in slow motion or high speed, while the surrounding world remains in a normal state.
    - GLOWSHROOM INFECTION -
    The target came in contact with a Glowshroom, which causes his whole skin to glow in an intense red light for a certain time. All enemies in a certain area will automatically attack the target. The glow can be helpful in dark places.
    - MOTIVATED -
    The target receives this effect for a certain time when it enters a new planet it hasn't discovered yet. All its stats are slightly increased.
    - SOGGY -
    The target gets this effect after swimming in water. Soggy targets are more prone to electric damage and can be more easily frozen. Also, you can't be set on fire and your overall fire resistance is increased.
    - RECOVERED -
    The target gets a small stat boost or regenerates some of its health after standing still for a few seconds.

2. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

Hahaha, gotta love some of those, especially the Sniffles! I'll add the link to this topic on my Creature properties list under the buffs and debuffs that a creature could cause if you give me permission!

3. Red Space Monkey

Of course, go ahead. =)

Drithyl likes this.
  4. pyrix

pyrix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

almost sounds like stuff from Earthbound... I like it!

5. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

I just re-read the OP, and noticed Soggy. It should also give a bit of fire resistance, just as it makes you more freezable/electrifyable, right? ^^

6. Red Space Monkey

I had this in mind at first too, but wasn't quite sure. I added it now, thanks. =D

7. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

Love some of the status ailments and good job on the creativity department. When I first read the title of this I was thinking, crap they are going to be the typical Poison and Haste remarks, but I was pleasantly surprised.

8. Red Space Monkey

At first I wanted to list something like this too, but as you said, it's too obvious and bland. ^^

9. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

Well I'm glad you took the time and came up with something creative. Wonderful job.

10. Dasaki

Dasaki Pangalactic Porcupine

Reminds me alot of Byond's Station 13. :rofl:

good times.

11. Red Space Monkey

What's that if I may ask? :-O

12. Dasaki

Dasaki Pangalactic Porcupine

it's a top down space station sim where you have to work with others in a multiplayer server to keep a station up and running while a spy tries to destroy it and basically make off with his life. The spy wins if he accomplishes the task given to him at game start and manages to escape alive.

http://www.byond.com/games/Exadv1/SpaceStation13

13. Red Space Monkey

Sounds interesting, pretty cool concept.

14. Nithilus

Nithilus Big Damn Hero

Radiation sickness, Health goes down fast if you are not wearing the correct (or have medicine) gear on high radiation worlds.

MADNESS!!: Sent Insane by Cthulhu's gaze, You will attack anyone surrounding you including friends, and injury to yourself is highly likely.

15. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

You forgot blinded, it's easier for Endermen to get you when your blind...

16. Red Space Monkey

But...do they get startled anyway by blind people? I mean, they're not really looking at something. ^^

17. Vierv

Vierv Pangalactic Porcupine

Sea sickness/Queasy: Happens after a bumpy ride in your spaceship, perhaps when going thru an asteroid belt. Deficit in fighting and movement speed.
    Panic: When health is low, maybe during boss fights or something. Increases speed and hit damage, reduces defense and other things that adrenaline would impair such as ... digestion. o_O
    Like a Boss: Happens after defeating a boss level creature, increase to most stats.

Dunno 'bout that last one, but I'll put it out there anyway.

Like that idea about radiation sickness. Go radioactive planets, they should glow at night.

18. Red Space Monkey

@Vierv: Very nice, especially the sea sickness. Fits very well with the whole setting and the more humouros take on the genre. =)

19. TopHatRaptor

TopHatRaptor Subatomic Cosmonaut

Leeched - Some disgusting parasite thingy is eating you alive. Why you haven't gotten rid of it is really a wonder. You lose health gradually while the enemy gains health gradually.

20. Red Space Monkey

Hehe, I have an even better idea: The parasite doesn't hurt you, it just babbles the whole time, cluttering your screen with speech bubbles and concealing your sight. =D