1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Hylotls.. are NOT fish people, am I really the only one who knows this ? lol ;p

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by XIII, Dec 13, 2013.

1. XIII

XIII Void-Bound Voyager

Hylotls are AMPHIBIANS lol based on the Axlotl (hence the almost exact same spelling of their names =.= lol) that is a type of water dragon/ Salamander (see google link- https://www.google.com/search?q=Axo...a=X&ei=2CKrUrPSM-mz2QWY74C4CQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ )

And is even further proven as their respawn is starting as an egg, then a tadpole esq creature then rapidly grown into their adult forms, adult AMPHIBIAN forms lol, why the hell is everyone so oblivious to them being amphibians ? and NOT fish :rofl:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

Too bad, they are fish to me and will always be fish because that's cooler.

3. moontaker

moontaker Void-Bound Voyager

fish people rolls off the tongue waaaay better than axolotl people or amphibian people. your horse has gotten too tall for you, buddy, get off of it.

4. Reon

Reon Phantasmal Quasar

If you want to get technical, the death animation is contrary to Axlotl life-cycles. Since they don't metamorphose. But, yeah, they are amphibians based on Axlotls. I've tried to tell people this, but people see gill structures and immediately think "fish."

krylo, Sephlington and XIII like this.
  5. Guswut

Guswut Ketchup Robot

It is pretty obvious that they're amphibians, considering that they're in a non-water environment on their ship. If they were "fish people", their ships would be flooded with water, and they'd need spacesuits filled with water to explore the land.

Now that said, the reason people consider them fish people is because they look enough like fish that the distinction is not clear. They also fly around in a giant fish, and other races tend to use fish-based slurs against them.

KeesDeNeger, coldReactive and XIII like this.
  6. NFossil

NFossil Phantasmal Quasar

I always choose the axolotl gill fin.

7. XIII

XIII Void-Bound Voyager

Right, not their normal life cycle but remember what we are seeing during respawn is each of the individual races cloning technology so it would be a different process than their natural cycles =p

Percy Lillywinkle likes this.
  8. XIII

XIII Void-Bound Voyager

I think the fish based slurs are to be even more insulting since they aren't fish, kind of like comparing them to a creature that isn't as intelligent as they actually are, but I do see your point, and absolutely you are correct about all of those things they would need to explore land =p

9. Affero

Affero Contributor

But they're humanoids so they're more like fishmen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Serenity likes this.
  10. budsygus

budsygus Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG]

Villhelm, Kabu, Yzzey and 6 others like this.
  11. Guswut

Guswut Ketchup Robot

Yes, it'd be like calling human beings tree monkeys, or calling a floran an upstanding member of a modern civilized society.

Yzzey, Kree, Nerva and 5 others like this.
  12. gameaddictwn

gameaddictwn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They are obviously crab people

13. XIII

XIII Void-Bound Voyager

LMFAO :rofl: "Calling a Floran an upstanding member of a modern civilized society"

14. XIII

XIII Void-Bound Voyager

you mean lobsters, because.. why not zoidburg ?

15. Reon

Reon Phantasmal Quasar

Well, I have no problem with the death animation. It's a game and an alien race only loosely based on the real-life creature. However... Your argument that cloning is responsible doesn't make a lot of sense. Axolotl effectively don't leave their tadpole stage. You can artificially induce the development to a 2nd stage in them, but it doesn't occur in nature and leaves them in a non-normal form. If that's what's going on in the death animation than you should come back without gill fins. But, once again, they're aliens, maybe they have 2 tiers of life cycle despite being left with gills.

I don't intend to be mean, it's just biology junk... Can't let it go...

16. Zagorsek

Zagorsek Poptop Tamer

So is "frog people" too hard to say?

Xyvecius likes this.
  17. XIII

XIII Void-Bound Voyager

OHHHH wait, I read that wrong, I thought you had said "It's not in the normal Hylotl life cycle" as in lore based life cycle, that's why I brought up the cloning statement lol

18. Tonguetyd

Tonguetyd Sandwich Man

News Flash: Not every amphibian is a frog. And Hylotl look nothing like frogs.

XIII likes this.
  19. Guswut

Guswut Ketchup Robot

They don't look anything like frogs. A frog person would be the frog merchant:

[​IMG]

Farathil and XIII like this.
  20. zairs

zairs Aquatic Astronaut

Tastes the same to me....

[​IMG]