1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How two-handed swords should be held like? [SUGGESTION]

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Texoru, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Texoru

Texoru Tentacle Wrangler

Hey I love the game so far been playing with my sibilings\friends for over 24 hours and we'd love the game!

This is not a serious issue though in the future implantation can we change the animations of hold\walk\run\attack to the two handed swords like this?

[​IMG]

Its a bit weird holding a two-handed sword on one hand, when it should be held with two hands. It will look really great from the image above! - Like I said lets worry more about the bugs\balancing and the new features comming ahead :)

Tex

2. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

You hold it in one hand but attack with two. I know it's silly, but they probably haven't put in the animations for holding it with both hands while just walking.

3. Monstermonkey8

Monstermonkey8 Astral Cartographer

Wow, it didn't even phase me that the 2-handed swords were being held in one hand! But yeah, that would be a great feature. It would make more sense as well.

4. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

I like how it's held with one hand.

5. Texoru

Texoru Tentacle Wrangler

Yeah it will make more sense with the stance (image above). Yeah they probably haven't finished the animations with the two handed weapons, hopefully they have that idea on their heads though :).

6. Syris

Syris Cosmic Narwhal

Nah, holding a two-handed sword in one hand seems fine to me. It's heavy, sure, but dragging it around like it is currently is probably less tiring than constantly being posed like what you've shown us there. Although it would certainly look cooler like that while actually in-combat.

7. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

maybe when a hostile monster is nearby, your character should hold the weapon like that.

8. ௵ಲ್ಲಾ৺᧯

௵ಲ್ಲಾ৺᧯ Cosmic Narwhal

Holding a weapon in two hands when it isn't in use is cumbersome. The reason it's two-handed is because you need two hands to properly use it, not carry it.
    Obviously if the character is strong enough to swing it than they're strong enough to hold it with one arm. The image you suggested looks awkward, running with both your arms out like that everywhere would make your character look mentally retarded, which in its own sake sounds hilarious.

9. Syris

Syris Cosmic Narwhal

That's not a bad idea.

10. Texoru

Texoru Tentacle Wrangler

Obviously I'm only talking about how should we "hold a two-handed sword", what they have now is more of holding an one-long handed sword. I have found another image with more in depth:

[​IMG]

As you can see on column 8th, row 3rd is how an two-handed should be held like when during combat. If you aren't on combat the sword can be rested above your shoulders as you can see on column 5th, row 2nd. This will be more likely holding a two-handed sword, they don't need to copy the image I'm just giving an idea of how two-handed swords are meant to be held.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    NovastarX likes this.
  11. Syris

Syris Cosmic Narwhal

Almost all of those positions seem like they wouldn't look great in-game, by the way the weapon and character pixels appear in Starbound.

12. Texoru

Texoru Tentacle Wrangler

They will have an "idea" that might work with those positions or find better positions and adjusted their scale of pixels.

13. NovastarX

NovastarX Big Damn Hero

Yeah, it did kind of bug me that the two-handed weapons are only swung and carried with one hand. It seems like it could be done sonce both arms can rotate, but it depends on how they rotate together since they're two dimensional and have separate 2-D joint positions. And more sprites would have to be drawn to accomodate the new animations and stances. But it is technically possible.