1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How to properly disable combat music?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FDru, Dec 22, 2013.

1. FDru

FDru Scruffy Nerf-Herder

(edited out original post)

To disable combat music, change these lines in the client.config to the following:

Code:
      },
      "combatTrackMixSettings" : {
        "grace" : 0,
        "mixCombatIn" : [0, 0, 0],
        "mixMusicOut" : [1, 0, 0],
        "mixCombatOut" : [0, 0, 0],
        "mixMusicIn" : [1, 0, 0]
      },
    Thanks samrux and Levethian for helping to narrow this one down.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    Archer and Levethian like this.
  2. Graham

Graham Subatomic Cosmonaut

This always really bugged me cause 80% of the fights are over in 3 seconds and its jarring for the music just to cut out, cheers

3. samrux

samrux Void-Bound Voyager

I really want an answeer too.

4. FDru

FDru Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is it possible to get a yes/no on if this is possible?

5. oOort

oOort Industrial Terraformer

Been asking for this since day 1. It's so disruptive that it is worth disabling music altogether, for me. Personally, I don't think they did the music right, either. It is beautiful, yes -- but too constant. Need breaks in between songs. I don't understand why this is so hard to understand, and the excuse that "there are more important things to address" fails because this is not a difficult concept to implement. Imo, this is one of those things that shouldn't have been overlooked in the first place as it seems rather obvious. You don't have to be a psychologist to understand why a human brain gets irritated by musical repetition. Just like you don't need an entire community nagging you to become aware of glaringly obvious bugs and balance issues. They help with fine-tuning the balance, but it shouldn't be 2 minutes in and you're like. "Yup, broken. Bye."

Archer likes this.
  6. Levethian

Levethian Void-Bound Voyager

Combat music barges in whenever creatures are getting burned or poisoned off-screen, too.

Thanks for that find. The above setting seems to work for me. No pause, interruption or combat music.

Aviakio, StarWeaver and oOort like this.
  7. samrux

Seems perfect to try and start over with a third character today, thanks. But what to put in mixCombatOut, and mixMusicIn? And grace?

8. samrux

So i've been trying for a while and decided that this is the definitive way of stopping battle music completely (Gonna try later if it's also positive for bosses:

Code:
      "combatTrackMixSettings" : {
        "grace" : 0,
        "mixCombatOut" : [0, 0, 0],
        "mixMusicIn" : [1, 0, 0]
      },

Ink Panther and Archer like this.
  9. Levethian

That will work too. Grace, mixCombatOut and mixMusicIn only come into use when combat music is started in the first instance, so don't really need to be changed.

10. samrux

It seems to, but without changing mixMusicIn a cut will still ocurr after the battle has finished.

I was so excited we managed to do it I made a thread in the mods/mechanics: CLICK HERE

Next challenge: Try and fix the beam down bug/glitch.

11. Levethian

I haven't been able to observe that, but no harm in changing all values.
    Bosses are now 32% more relaxing encounters. I think I perform better without threatening music...

12. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Cheers mate, finally got rid of the horribly interrupting battle music... They really need to fix that at some point, it was driving me crazy.

13. Skip

Skip Void-Bound Voyager

thanks for this find!
    i really hope they change this. I dont mind it during boss fights, but every little bird or beast.....

14. rawalanche

rawalanche Aquatic Astronaut

Thank you very much for this. The combat music is extremely frustrating... i miss nice rythmic music that Terraria had. While idle music in starbound is quite nice too, the combat music is just absolutely awful and breaks the immersion and atmosphere of the game every time it starts playing.

15. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

ReverendBonobo likes this.
  16. rawalanche

rawalanche Aquatic Astronaut

17. Diodon

Diodon Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't so much mind the combat music... for fights I'm actually participating in lol. It's really bad on planets with lots of lava and poison because then you have to hear it enter battle-mode every time some monster decides to have a personal struggle with it's desire to spawn-in / jump-into lava / poison.

What I'd really like is a mute check-box in the settings menu AND a key binding for doing a quick mute on the fly. It would also be nice to have a settings checkbox to decide if the game should mute itself when the window does not have focus. Sometimes I just don't want to hear some monster squealing when I'm alt-tabbed out watching some video but I still want my crops growing in the background. Lastly, make the darn volume sliders drag-able rather than just click-able. Btw, does anyone else hate the tentacle planet music? lol.