1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I not freeze to death when on asteroid fields?..

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Maneripi, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Starboundcommunity566

Starboundcommunity566 Pangalactic Porcupine

I sort of wish it was more realistic scifi, minecraft and terra already got the magicy fiction covered. But you can't really expect game makers to also be a varied group of scientists.

2. Moon Star

Moon Star Cosmic Narwhal

*facepalm* You made me giggle m8.

3. CrowScape

CrowScape Void-Bound Voyager

So wait... the Sun shouldn't output heat?
    Why wouldn't they be?

4. teilnehmer

teilnehmer Existential Complex

The sun emits heat, only there is very little atoms around that can store the energy.
    Interestingly, that also means that space isn't cold, actually, so in hard sci-fi, fires indeed wouldn't work (no oxygen), but neither would we freeze to death.
    See here for a fun science read:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceIsCold

Explosions would make no sound (because there's no matter that can carry the sound wave) - afaik, they can happen, though, but they're silent.

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. HexZyle

HexZyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was referring to player-placable heat sources. The sun affecting the temperature is assumed to be part of the environment, and therefore is set in the ambient temperature.
    AKA Asteroid Fields should be roasting hot during the daytime and freezing cold during the night, and no fires or nanostoves can do anything about the latter.

I'm not a whole deal knowledgeable about chemical reactions: I did kinda sleep through all my classes in high school. But I do know that for an explosion, specifically an explosion involving combustion, requires oxygen. If the only oxygen around is inside your ship, and as long as you don't have tonnes of solidified oxygen, (or tonnes of gaseous oxygen, but that'd be much larger and more difficult to transport) any explosion that does happen would not be very large.
    It would however, suffocate you, if you didn't die to the blast itself, or die from being in space without a ship around you to protect you from electromagnetic radiation.

Anyway, here's an interesting image on the temperature of the layers of the atmosphere:
    [​IMG]

The only place you'll freeze is in the Stratosphere, Starbound actually gets this correct.
    Outside the atmosphere your body absorbs the electromagnetic radiation from nearby stars at a far faster rate due to there being no ozone to shield you. Your risk of cancer will go way up, if you're not roasted first.

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. CrowScape

CrowScape Void-Bound Voyager

But the statement is that heat sources shouldn't work without oxygen. I fail to see how infrared radiation requires oxygen to transmit. But hey, I didn't get my degree from some place as prestigious as TVTropes, so maybe I missed that.

You would freeze to death because the moisture on your skin would instantly evaporate. Rapidly expanding gas needs to take energy from somewhere, and with no other source that's going to be you. Ever use a fire extinguisher and see the ice build up on the nozzle? Same principle.
    Again, the statement was that explosions in space were questionable, not that hearing explosions in space was questionable. I believe Firefly was even cited, even though Firefly had quiet space. So sound can't be the issue.

So, I want to know what's wrong with these things?

Also, space isn't a perfect vacuum. There is matter to carry sound waves. The waves are just going to move incredibly slowly and be almost impossible to detect.
    Torches and campfires, sure. But tell me how a nanostove works to say that it cannot work in space? Or the space heater?

Axe Garian likes this.
  7. penguinhammer

penguinhammer Space Spelunker

Tier 10 racial armor; set match, win, no more freezing in the vacuum.

It's like nobody actually plays Starbound here.

8. HexZyle

Clearly you've never visited a planet's Stratosphere.

9. penguinhammer

penguinhammer Space Spelunker

Well, like I said - the linear progression of the armor tiers means that, at a certain level and combined with the oxygen survival system, one should not even be worrying about basic survival in space. Of course, I'm willing to admit That since I only use racial armor sets, I could be missing something; but bleh, I've seen little reason to use anything other than the racial sets.

10. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Racial armors are the only armors that exist once you reach Sector X (Aegisalt+ ores). Also, we're not talking about Asteroid Fields (where Impervium armor is good enough to keep you warm), here. We're talking about "On any planet except Asteroid Fields, travel way, way, way far up above the surface until you find little meteors. Then, before you freeze, place a nanostove or five, build a house, and make yourself comfortable."

The coldness is a little bit more troublesome in the Stratosphere of a planet than it is on an Asteroid Field.

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. xSadoro

xSadoro Void-Bound Voyager

How can I freeze when standing NEXT TO LAVA

12. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Is "LAVA" the name of your stratospheric cooling device?

Also, I think it's very possible to freeze when standing next to lava in rare instances, when you're really high up on a volcano (near the peak), watching lava pouring out while it's 30 below or some terribly un-warm temperature.

In Starbound, lava or water do not have auras of warmth or cooling, so the only gauge of temperature is the planet's atmosphere or the stratosphere.

13. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

While Terraforming an Asteroid Field in Tier 4 Armor, i've discovered something amusing... ya can slowly get colder there, get hit by Monster Fire Attacks, then while your on fire & burning, ya STILL keep getting closer to freezing to death! :rofl:

14. xSadoro

xSadoro Void-Bound Voyager

And dont you think it should have an aura of warmth? ... Like I was in a snow planet with lava, was freezing and stood next to it, and no it wasnt a volcano, cause there are no volcanos in starbound I think, none that I see at least. It was a cave...

15. HexZyle

I've also seen lava pools bordered with snow. A bit odd, don'tcha think?