1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Help building an airlock

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Squaky, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Squaky

Squaky Pangalactic Porcupine

Was wondering if anyone can help. Im trying to build an underwater city with working airlocks to get in. I can wire it so that the door on the right only opens when the door on the left is closed, and so the drains only work when there is liquid in the room. The problem I'm having is that I want a switch on the outside (left hand side) to open the first door, but this interferes with the mechanism for making sure only one door is ever open at one time. ie, if I switch the outside lever on, and then go inside, the wheel in the middle (which opens the right hand door and closes the left) won't work because the lever on the left is still open. Technically I can still operate the lever from inside the room with the door closed, but i'd rather have it work properly. Ive included a picture of the airlock room. 2015-02-16_00001.jpg

2. 1nfinitezer0

1nfinitezer0 Cosmic Narwhal

3. Platoonsgt1

Platoonsgt1 Big Damn Hero

I'd suggest looking the existing threads, but this is a logic challenge that I'll try myself and show you the results :D

Well.... This works:
    2015-02-17_00001.jpg 2015-02-17_00002.jpg

A lot of the logic there just turns the levers into buttons to make it work better, and I didn't worry about closing the outer hatch when you leave.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    Fleder likes this.
  4. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

This sounds like a job for AND and Latch logic gates.

If I could go there and see the wiring in person, I could probably figure it out in a hurry.

5. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

I am a very lazy person, so I would just use a button instead of a lever for the outside switch, such that it closes behind me automatically.

I'm not at home right now, but I'll mock up a nice "proper" solution when I am. :)

Eisengreifer likes this.
  6. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

Love the layout!
    Simple Doors.jpg
    The switch is a Not switch

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    Squaky and Fleder like this.
  7. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

I made a lazy solution to your problem. Not quite as lazy as buttons - it uses the levers just like you asked - but it doesn't enforce any rules about doors being open at the same time, so it's not a true airlock. I'll make a proper one soon.

Squaky and Fleder like this.
  8. Squaky

Thanks for the suggestions. Ive kind of got it to work how I want, although I feel its a bit more complicated than necessary. The way it works right now the lever on the left opens the first door, and closes the second one if its open. The wheel in the middle closes the first door and opens the second, and the third lever closes the second door behind you and opens the third door into the main base. The drains are set to switch on when either door is open, and I've stuck an alarm on each side which switches on when the corresponding door is open. It works in reverse too. My aim was to get it so an NPC could get into the base (not sure if they even can at the moment) without being able to flood it. Hopefully, because you can't progress into the base without closing both airlock doors and draining the room, it will be impossible for a single npc to screw it up although I imagine if their were multiple ones pressing buttons at different times it would still go wrong. Id also like to be able to set it so that the drains close a few seconds after the doors so they could drain the residual water once you leave the base, but I don't seem to be able to get the timers to work like that. 2015-02-19_00001.jpg 2015-02-19_00002.jpg 2015-02-19_00003.jpg [DOUBLEPOST=1424368572][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The fish will trigger the motion sensor!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    1nfinitezer0, TrueEdge and Jbeetle like this.
  9. Sirrobert

Sirrobert Big Damn Hero

Squaky likes this.
  10. Celd' The Magi

Celd' The Magi Pangalactic Porcupine

Nice looking base!

I am pretty stoked to try some of these ideas out. Never thought to build an underwater base.!

Cannot wait for the planet teleporters they hinted at!

11. Squaky

I like that, but you use four switches to open two doors whereas my version uses three to open three. I also wanted to use the hylotl switches as its a hylotl themed city I'm building, but using levers rather than buttons creates a whole load of other problems. I was going for a Rapture kind of look so I'd prefer it if it used more basic switches, and I HAD to have a wheel to drain the room and open the second door (because what kind of airlock opens without turning a big wheel?).