1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Have a family?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ZTGabe, May 21, 2013.

1. ZTGabe

ZTGabe Void-Bound Voyager

This may be going a little overbored but don't you think it would be cool if you can marry an NPC or another character and then have children?

2. Lawls

Lawls Space Kumquat

I think I would be indifferent about this.

3. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

I don't think that would really fit, since Starbound is all about exploring the universe. A family mechanic just seems counter-intuitive to that theme. But, it could probably make a good mod.
    In any case, if you're interested in a game where you can raise a family, check out Stardew Valley.

4. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Only if cross-breeding is allowed.

Derpghost56, SivCorp and FluffyRabbit like this.
  5. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

POST-GAME CONTENT BROS.
    POST.
    GAME.
    CONTENT.

6. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Probably not necessary in the base game, but I wouldn't mind. It would probably be quite interesting, though it's probably best left to mods.

7. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

I think it'd be interesting...
    Dat Floran/Hylotl...
    Or Human/Glitch...

8. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

I don't see how it wouldn't fit. Seeing as exploration is only the main theme if starbound if thats the reason you play the game. If you're like me, CONQUEST is the main theme of the game, rather than exploration.

Aside from that, I for one would love to see a feature like this. There would be nothing forcing you to marry NPCs and it could potentially be implemented to allow marriages between players, which is always a fun mechanic in any game.

9. Master_Discord

Master_Discord Big Damn Hero

Inb4floranbuttrubbingreference

Bonuses for working with friends instead of solo would be nice. Even if only a tiny buff for cooperation.

FluffyRabbit likes this.
  10. Opfierce

Opfierce Aquatic Astronaut

That would be cool, but I see something like that getting updated in game down the line.

11. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

If there was Cross Breeding, I want there to be a technology you HAVE TO USE if you want to produce offspring with a member of another species. Otherwise the game would be ruined for me.

12. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

It could work like breeding Pokemon? :p

13. IllusiveEnergy

IllusiveEnergy Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd do every chick in the NPC towns, get then all pregnant, and start an army of my own beautiful spawn.

14. Sadron

Sadron Ketchup Robot

15. Captain Malcolm

Captain Malcolm Big Damn Hero

I like this idea.
    I think it would be fun to have a family on your planet, waiting for you to return or come with you on your adventures and help you carry items.

16. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

i've seen this suggestion before, and i still like it very much :D

17. Zacharyne

Zacharyne Void-Bound Voyager

Have children with someone else's character; then you have to raise it together.

Choose to abandon it and you may find interstellar war/revenge in your distant future!

Pingeh likes this.
  18. Miss Andry

Miss Andry Cosmic Narwhal

eh, its ok I guess

I don't think it would be that interesting since almost everything is this game is randomly generated. I'm sure the "wives and children" would end up barely being any different from one another at all and most likely would not feel special at all.

Where as in a game like Harvest Moon, there are set characters with set personalities that are worked on throughout the game.

Don't think it'd work well in Starbound, but if people want it, sure I guess. Boy, it'd also suck to have your wife and kids killed by random npcs or players.

19. Iveryke

Iveryke Orbital Explorer

Make a family and then murder them all with lava.