1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial Hamachi Servers

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Goldeagle3492, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Goldeagle3492

Goldeagle3492 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

First off, I want to say I am not an expert on Hamachi but I see that there are a lot of people who are having problems setting up servers so I thought I would throw together some notes from my experience of debugging mine to work. For everyone's reference I am running a 64-bit Windows 8.1. I know most of you know how to set up the networks initially but I'm going to make as thorough of a tutorial as possible. I apologize for the organization as well, that will improve as the guide becomes more complete.

As I get feedback from you or find out more information myself, I will be updating this to try and help everyone possible. I understand you all just want to play and it's frustrating not being able to do so for unknown reasons.

Setting up a Hamachi network:

1. Go to https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/download.aspx and download the Hamachi client. It does not matter which option you choose because in the end you can create a free account which allows you to have 5-person networks without paying for anything.

2. After installing it and setting up your account, run the client.

3. Click Network -> Create a new network and fill in the ID and password you want. Note: If you created an account then you will have an easier time managing the network since you can just log in on the internet and mess with all the settings.

4. For someone to join the network give them the ID and password and they just go to Network -> Join an existing network and enter the details. Depending on the joining settings you have set up you will need to accept this person before they can connect.

5. To accept a member (and mess around with settings) go to https://secure.logmein.com/ and log in with your account details. Alternatively you can get there from the Hamachi client by going to Manage -> Manage Networks. You should see a screen similar to this:
    [​IMG]

6. To do anything with your network click on Edit which is outlined in red in the above screenshot. When you get to the settings page click on Join Requests to accept or deny people who have sent requests. Pictured below:
    [​IMG]

7. The computer running the server must be added to this Hamachi network that you just created or joined. When you go to multiplayer to play enter the Hamachi IP next to the client (computer) running the server and leave both the Account ID and the password blank even if your Hamachi network has a password.

Getting Errors Connecting?

Solution #1:

Check for the following things:
    - You are entering the proper IP, you should be using the Hamachi IP for the server computer
    - "Hamachi" shows up as a network adapter (and is enabled)
    - You are not seeing a tunneling error next to anyone else on the network and you can ping them

If these aren't fine then your problem may be very simple to fix.

Solution #2:

You can also try going into the starbound config file found in your Starbound folder (
    ProgramFiles(x86) -> Steam -> SteamApps -> common -> Starbound) and changing the "upnpPortForwarding" option to false.

Solution #3:

If everyone trying to join is getting an error then go to the computer which is running the server. Open Hamachi and look at the others on the network. If you see a yellow triangle with an ! in it next to their names then right click and look at the details. Chances are the error is a VPN error saying you are not properly connecting. If this is true then look at your network connections: Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings (on the left panel).

You should see a "Hamachi" network adapter so if you do, good. (Keep reading anyway) If not, you are possibly like me where when you installed Hamachi, there was a conflicting tunneling device so it never properly installed the Hamachi tunneler. I can't guarantee it will work for you but to fix this here is what I did. I went to device manager: Start -> Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Device Manager (found under the Devices and Printers section).

Make sure you show hidden devices by going to View -> Show hidden devices. Expand the Network adapters and see if you have any tunneling devices. I have one called "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-interface". I disabled this (right click) since it is useless anyway with how networking is set up for a majority of users then uninstalled Hamachi from my computer.

When I reinstalled Hamachi (without launching it) I went back to network adapter settings and saw "Hamachi" as an option. If you already had the option this is where you want to pay attention again. Go to advanced settings: Alt (this shows the hidden menu bar) -> Advanced -> Advanced settings... and look at the priority of your Hamachi adapter in the first box. It is not required for it to be top priority but some people have reported that moving it up can solve some problems so go ahead and do so by clicking Hamachi and then the up arrow until it is first on the list. Now that you changed that go ahead and launch Hamachi again and you should no longer see that yellow triangle next to your computer. I did not need to reset for any of this to work but resets never hurt.

Solution #4:

It has been reported that even something as simple as changing your network type that you are connecting with to be "Home" instead of "Public". I'm not entirely sure why this works but it may be because your computer trusts the network more than a public one so it allows more data through. You may also be able to solve this issue just by changing your Hamachi settings for all network members to be "Allow All" for traffic. To change the network type go to: Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center. Here you will see the network you are connected to and under that you will see which type it is. Just click the type to change it.

Note: Solution #4 does not work for Windows 8 since you can not change the type of network once it is set up. If someone finds a work-around for this please let me know.

Solution #5:

Not really a solution but I have read that windows 8 in general is breaking Hamachi for a lot of people. Not just for starbound but for all purposes. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Still Getting Errors?

If this did not solve your problem then feel free to message me (or post here) with the specific problem you are seeing (screenshots are extremely helpful in some cases) and I will to do my best to resolve your issue and update this guide to have every possible fix it can.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  2. Goldeagle3492

This post doesn't seem to show up in searches anymore so... bump.

3. GarethTemki

GarethTemki Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi, my friend and I have been trying to play together and to no luck have we achieved this. The server lets only me join. I try all the solutions I can find. Please help. We really appreciate it.

4. Goldeagle3492

You have given me no details to work with. What is the error you are getting? Have you tried everything listed above? Have you tried anything not listed above?

5. GarethTemki

GarethTemki Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OK, so I'm trying to run a Starbound server for me and my friend to play on. I can join perfectly fine, however if tries to join he gets an error saying that the connection failed. I've tried everything listed about at well as changing the gameport and serverport. Here's a picture of the exact error 2013-12-28_00001.jpg

6. Dream Scarlet

Dream Scarlet Space Hobo

I am having the same issue