Gun Swords

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Shade215, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Shade215

Shade215 Big Damn Hero

///////////////-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    Gun swords

Imagine you got this big gun you stick your hand in to shoot, shoots something like plasma or bullets, but the enemy is running closer and you don't time to switch to a melee weapon, you right click and your gun turns into this sword, kinda like the way army knives work, and bam! you have a sword ready to use on the spot, and no inventory managing required.

These could have different shapes, looks, projectiles, blades... but here's a sketch i made to illustrate the idea:
    [​IMG]

What are your thoughts?

CalamityQuote and Active Link like this.
  2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Not a bad idea. Maybe even just a gun with a bayonet would be enough.

But if we have a gun that shoots swords...:mwahaha:

4. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

I'm not sure your example situation is very good, since it's possible to just have a melee weapon in your hotbar to switch to (which is literally as easy as pressing a button).
    But, the idea still sounds really cool.
    Although, I could imagine this being a two-handed weapon with a secondary attack that activates the sword attack.

5. Shade215

Shade215 Big Damn Hero

i know but theirs not really any situation where the hotbar is not really useable, unless its something like your fighting a boss where you need different weapon types available on the go.
    but i think that would have been a bit outside of what we know is in game to be an example.
    and that is exactly what i meant, formulated in a better way,
    i imagine it more like megaman/metroid style where when you hold it, it goes to your elbow and you hold on the underside,
    thought that mighta been cool.
    though the different shapes, sizes and looks thing changes the entire way it could look or work.

6. Bastard Man

Bastard Man Big Damn Hero

On Cortex Command you can get a gun that shoots chainsaws and I can tell you now the gibbing is delicious.

7. Deadlyapples

Deadlyapples Zero Gravity Genie

Would be sort of cool but does it make sense in the universe of this game? Once you have a gun what is the point in a melee weapon?

Its like why bring a sword or a gun-sword to a gun fight when you already have a gun?

8. Shade215

Shade215 Big Damn Hero

why use a sword when you have a bow, shotgun, laser?
    because some people cant use certain guns in close quaters, like using a sniper 2 meters from an enemy can be really hectic and require a lot of skill with it.
    and even knowadays when we have things like guns, if you look at a lot of movies their are some badasses who use swords over guns and whoop arse.
    also their are people who mix up swords and guns midst of fight.

so if say, in a very futureistic game, you were in a small, hard to manouver in cave and several melee men where around the corner, holding shields that would resist all of your bullets enough to put you in severe danger,
    would it not be wise to have a melee weapon like a sword or knife to duel them with?
    plus some people would be more skilled with swords and could manadge up close and personal easier with a sword.
    and swinging a sword gives a larger area of effect up close, whitch would be essential if you were fighting a MASSIVE SWARM OF CARNIVOUROUS MANGOOS RAPTORS!!!!!!
    point being even in the future their are uses for melee weapons, and having both a sword and a gun in one contraption could be essential.
    plus it means you wont have too carry one of each, imagine lugging both a really heavy sword and a rifle.
    or it could be a custom weapon made by the player, because they wanted to avoid that,
    or maybe its from a race of super melee warriors that dabbled in range?
    could be anythin i guess~

that and melee weapons are already in game i think?
    besides we have guns nowadays, why do we need knives and swords still?
    in star wars they had guns , yet the jedi used lightsabers and there are vibroblades, which are essentially futureistic swords.
    melee weapons are always an essential as a weapon.
    so ask not why you need a sword when you have guns.
    but why you need a gunsword?
    to avoid having to carry two things at once of course!

Deadlyapples likes this.
  9. Deadlyapples

Deadlyapples Zero Gravity Genie

In that case.

+1 :D

10. Shade215

Shade215 Big Damn Hero

[​IMG]

Jonesy and Deadlyapples like this.
  11. SLOW_oranges

SLOW_oranges Pangalactic Porcupine

What about swords that shoots guns...
    Nevermind, I just realised how stupid it would look.

12. egb96

egb96 Void-Bound Voyager

Because guns are rather expensive.
    There should be a benefit to using melee weapons. Sorry, but I'd rather not have guns that transform into swords or whatever in Starbound.

13. Shade215

Shade215 Big Damn Hero

well i imagined left click to swtich modes and right to attack?
    and if it was an element it would save you of having to bring one of each, so you'd have both an ice sword and gun in one.
    or it could also, as a gun, have a rapid bullet attack, but it's melee mode could have a major knockback, thus the two working hand in hand.
    the gun could also be a shockwave cannon that throws the enemy back, giving you time to run or regenerate.
    or maybe the gun part could serve as a mine launcher.

not even if the gun sword, SHOT PENGUINS?!!?!?!?

14. Supreme Suprise

Supreme Suprise Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Lets take that to the next level. What if...there were a sword that shot guns? :lod:

On topic though, an interesting idea, if slightly OP in my opinion.

Jonesy likes this.
  15. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Then it wouldn't be a sword, then.

SLOW_oranges likes this.
  16. Shade215

Shade215 Big Damn Hero

but what if you put a gun, on the sword, that shot guns?

17. Steam Pirate

Steam Pirate Space Kumquat

Yes. I agree.

18. cypher27

cypher27 Tentacle Wrangler

Just submitting a more... appropriate pic for the gunblade:
    [​IMG]

I can totally see this as a somewhat weak but versatile mid-game unique weapon. If it was included in Final Fantasy, why not Starbound? :)