Goals for a stable build?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by blazeti, Aug 29, 2014.

1. blazeti

blazeti Tentacle Wrangler

I suppose this is directed towards the devs, but if anyone has the answer feel free to chime in and let me know:

Is there a set of goals that you are working towards before you create the next stable build? I understand that you are all working on various aspects (missions, biomes, balancing armor, etc), but have you set forward a specific list of features that, once complete, will turn focus on packaging all of that into a stable build?

I understand that if I want to play with the new stuff, there's the nightly builds. I also understand that the nightly builds are not -meant- for playing, they're more of a display of the work in progress. I was one of those who bought in to the early access when the release was slated for 2013, saw it come and go, got frustrated and left Starbound for dead, and have come back to see what happened.

Seeing the work in progress is heartening and has made me eager to play again, though I'm hesitant to bother with the latest "tech demo". I am just fearful that the situation is simply going to run into a constant stream of new features that results in the game never -quite- being done enough for you to feel confident in releasing.

2. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

They want the next stable update to effectively be 1.0

3. blazeti

blazeti Tentacle Wrangler

Right, I know that. My question is if they have a set of goals for when the code will BE version 1.0. I'm curious if they're all constantly building and coding without an end in sight and hoping that they'll just "know" when they've done enough, or if they have a goal line that they're consciously measuring against.

4. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Please say it isn't so!

:ssssssssss::ssssssssss::ssssssssss:

5. They have stated that this is indeed the case. Chucklefish has internal deadlines that the follow and goals to accomplish that they are working toward. But those deadlines and goals are no longer shared with us.

6. khalismur

khalismur Big Damn Hero

So I guess we might have to wait at least one more semester for the stable bluid, right?
    They said 1.0 should have all progression complete and they also said they were currently in the tiers 1~2 of it, which means many, many months of "development" ahead (and some more of "internal testing"?)....

But It's nonetheless good to know they have deadlines at all. Thanks!

7. I heard rumor that one of the devs said that they were hoping to release a new stable when a couple of tiers were done (more than tier 2, less than tier 10). But I can't find the quote (might have been on reddit?????)

But realistically it looks like it will still be quite some time before we see a stable.

8. khalismur

khalismur Big Damn Hero

Yeah. I might move on and forget Starbound and CF for two or three semesters...

9. Sworm

Sworm Aquatic Astronaut

So will we ever see this game? I mean i gave cash for this never ending beta game??

10. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Yes to the first question. Don't know how to answer the second.