1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Gas Giants

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by daleksax, Dec 3, 2013.

1. daleksax

daleksax Title Not Found

As seen in both videos and screenshots of starbound, planets have a chance to be orbiting around a gas giant. As far as I am aware players are unable to land on them, but has it been discussed if gas giants will serve any porpoise or if they are only there as content to fill the map screen?

2. carcrasher65

carcrasher65 Pangalactic Porcupine

Use it as a dumping planet for toxic waste when we hit the Industrial Mods.

3. Kaeso

Kaeso Industrial Terraformer

[​IMG]

4. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

win

Serenity likes this.
  5. Sherl0ck

Sherl0ck Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love it :D

6. Alluvian_Est-Endrati

Alluvian_Est-Endrati Existential Complex

It would be nice if we could skim fuel off the atmosphere of gas giants; or perhaps if the space/asteroid-level biome were accessible (or the rings).

krylo likes this.
  7. Pizzarugi

Pizzarugi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd like to be able to explore gas giants after researching tech necessary to allow survival there. I'd go the way of Endless Space, where I build facilities on gas giants for research purposes. Or, you know, a nice base. Since the gas giant has no real solid surface, this allows you to create massive bases with little to no obstacles.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    Hatsya Souji likes this.
  8. Felonious

Felonious Existential Complex

I'd like to see them add something to Gas giants. Maybe allow us to build floating stations and stuff. in the atmosphere. But, anything like that is probably going to come after the release.

9. Having a research station floating above and testing the gases for any useful compositions would be pretty awesome actually.

I'm sure if we show enough interest the devs will take notice, but I doubt we will see anything anytime soon.

10. SamuelXproductions

SamuelXproductions Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That would be awesome. Like in star wars there is a huge gas giant known as Bespin and in that planet there is cloud city. It is a floating city in the atmosphere. If they added that your able to make bases in the gas giants that would be cool. And they could put floating Avian cities there with new Avian tech. That would be very nice to add.

11. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

Gas Giants will probably have an expanded role most likely after 1.0. We have some ideas though I'm not sure we'll let people land on them. Right now they're basically decorations (which can only be one color at the moment and can't have rings yet).

12. Nutric

Nutric Pangalactic Porcupine

I really don't see a lot of things you could do with the Gas Giants...
    You can't do a lot on them, just dump stuff and watch it get pulled by it's immense gravity.

13. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Takes me back to my suggestion of floating cities atop a gad giant's atmosphere.

I should look at the numbers for that.

14. Nutric

Nutric Pangalactic Porcupine

Having a freaking space station is enough for me.

15. Demos_Tex

Demos_Tex Orbital Explorer

If any of the dev's are fans of space operas (outside of Star Wars), there is a book series by Kevin J Anderson that includes a race called hydrogues that live in the center of gas giants. Lore implications for the eighth race?:laugh:

16. Rings confirmed!!!

Perhaps Gas Giants could be a little more "platform"esque in their terrain -- and can house rare crops, weapons, or items to raid.

Serenity likes this.
  17. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

If you liked it, shoulda put a ring on it.

18. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

I hope you will be able to build space stations in gas giants. If so, i hope stations will have airlocks and i also hope you will have the ability to drag players or npcs with you so you can THROW THEM OUT THE AIRLOCK! Aha... ahaha... hahahahahahah

Serenity, Akado and MysticMalevolence like this.
  19. Untrustedlife

Untrustedlife Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ancient floating cities... nuff said.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  20. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Synthesizing the gasses from the giants would be swell.
    Also I believe space stations will be a thing, but above planets in another cell not so much. (Cell as in a COMPLETE different area orbiting the planet)
    Atm you can put space stations miles above the planets surface.