Freezing rain (New weather event)/Ice gun (The Ice Rod of Starbound)

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Kodee, Jun 17, 2012.

?

Is this a good idea?

1. HECK YEA!

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. Interesting....

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Meh.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. THIS SUCKS!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kodee

Kodee Subatomic Cosmonaut

I sortof have 2 ideas in here that go toghether, wasn't sure whether to put it in Planets and Enviroment or Gear and Items, I just put it in here because I think the cooler idea is the Ice Gun.

Ok, so I was watching some stupid TV show the other day where they had some scientists and junk, and there was this wierd rain stuff happening over the Pacific Ocean that was causing planes to go down (This was real too). There was a bunch of sciency stuff involved that I didn't understand, but basically the water was below freezing temperature, but for some reason the rain wouldn't freeze untill it hit metal, and it was screwing with the planes, making them crash, They collected a bottle of it and stuck it in a cooler of ice, and it wouldn't freeze untill they stuck a metal rod in it, then it froze INSTENTALLY. I'm all like, "Hey, that would be cool for starbound"

NEW WEATHER EVENT: Freezing Rain
    OK, so basically, when freezing rain occurs on a planet, giant drops of water fall from the sky that have a chance of freezing into block of ice when it touches the ground. It has an even greater chance of freezing if it hits metal, making it very likely that you'll have a hard time getting out of your house. If you get hit by a drop of freezing rain, it hurts you and possibly slows you down due to the ice cyrstals forming on you or something. It's best to stay indoors during freezing rain, unless you have some kind of suit to protect you against water or ice. Freezing rain is a very rare event, since if it happened frequently, it would get REALLY annoying.
    Now, the ice that's created from freezing rain isn't permenant, so you don't have to spend all your time breaking every piece of ice.
    On a Desert or Lava planet, it would melt at a pretty fast rate, mabey only a couple minutes after the rain is over. Of course, it's a lot rarer for freezing rain to occur on a hotter planet too.
    On an artic planet, it takes a longer while for the ice to melt, mabey a few in game days, mabey it doesn't even melt, since it's an artic planet anyways.
    On any other planet, it would only take 1 in game day to melt, mabey half an in game day.
    NEW WEAPON: ICE GUN
    OK, now heres where it gets cool. After expiereincing freezing rain, you're all like "Hey, I could make a weapon with this." Some quest starts, you have to colect a drop of freezing rain or some ice from it or something, I haven't completely thought out how you get the weapon, but basically, you've got a cooler verion of the ice rod from terraria. It's ammo is freezing water from freezing rain storms, and possibly you could somehow collect large ammounts during freezing rain, but since it's a rare event, there would probably also be a way to make freezing water in the lab.
    Of course, those of you who played terraria might be going, "Wait, but the ice rod could just make ice appear anywhere, even in midair." Well that wouldn't really work for a gun, so heres my idea: when you shoot the gun, the freezing water launches out in a blocksized blob. Before it goes far, the water curves down. After the ice hits the ground, it freezes for about, I donno, mabey 10 seconds? then melts. Sort of like this.
    (Pretend that gun is the ice gun, was too lazy to make an accual sprite for the gun.)
    [​IMG]
    The wierd blue blob represents the ice block, the white lines the path of the water. As you can see, it doesn't go very far, and if you aimed higer, it would go even less farther. This would be pretty usefull for making staircases and such.
    Ice gun upgrades.
    So far, I've thought of 2 possible upgrades for the Ice Gun.
    Upgrade #1: Ice Shotgun.
    This is for those people who would rather use the ice gun as a shield rather then for other purposes. In this form, the ice gun shoots out 3 or 5 different blobs of freezing water, (mabey 2 different upgrades, first you unlock 3 then 5???) and then, fairly close to the shooter, the water freezes IN MIDAIR (unless it hits something) for some scientific reason that someone can explain if this ever gets put in the game, which it probably won't. The ice blocks last about the same amount of time as the original ice gun, about 10 seconds. Mabey less. The bullets might do a tiny bit less then the bullets then the originals, because if you'd use it for fighting (and that's only if you have too, the gun isn't made for fighting) you would try nd hit them with all five bullets. It works sorta like this:
    [​IMG]
    Ok, that drawing was even worse then the first one, but if someone who accually want's to take the time to do a good one, be my guest. Now, on to upgrade number 2.
    Upgrade #2: Ice Sniper
    The ice sniper is for people who for some reason want to make ice farther away, or who just want it to go in a straighter line because the tremendous curve of the original ice gun can become a pain. The ice blocks from this gun last longer then the other 2 guns, mabey 2x longer, 1.5 time longer, I donno. The bullets also do a lot more damage then the ice gun and shotgun's. Works like this:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the line DOES eventually start to curve, but it takes a lot longer.
    If this ever gets put in the game, a lot more variations could be made, mabey ones that do a lot more damage for accual fighting, ones that shoot 4 "blocks" of freezing water at a time for bigger ice clumps, ect. (Rapid fire ice gun? X3) This is all I have for now, might add more variations in the future. Well, that's it folks, the ice rod of starbound. :) Have a nice day.

2. SuperWillieD

SuperWillieD Pangalactic Porcupine

great idea! maybe if you kept hitting someone they would start to be incased in a chunk of ice, and the more they got hit the bigger it would get. It would be fun to rapid fire on an ice planet and watch them slowly melt while typing rage

3. Kodee

:sparta: RAAAAGE!!!! :sparta: X3 :DD

SuperWillieD likes this.
  4. SuperWillieD

SuperWillieD Pangalactic Porcupine

Or MAYBE...
    A server admin could freeze someone for whatever time the liek!

...no :coffee: for them.

Kodee likes this.
  5. Run Juan Run

Run Juan Run Big Damn Hero

i like the frreezing rain. i can imagine my self running away from a boss in my car when suddenly freezing rain stops it dead in its tracks.:facepalm:

Kodee likes this.
  6. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Freezing rain has my support, and the ice gun but I care less about that. Awesome ideas. :p

Also, about freezing rain, it would be cool if it could freeze you completely when it hits you 3 times, so you would have ice all over you, making you into a ice cube. In that way the freezing rain would be more dangerous, forcing you to adventure carefully, maybe even force you to make a tunnel under ground just to be safe.

Edit:
    Also I would prefer if it wasnt a rare event, more like a weather on specific cold planets. That way it would be more interesting in my opinion. :p

7. Kodee

Hmm..... I was thinking make it happen a lot more often on cold planets, but very rare chance on other planets, with litlle no change on hot planets, but I suppose it would be sort of wierd to have freezing rain in the middle of a planet full of lava of a giant desert. It probably would work better on only cold planets as you suggested. The reason I added the freezing rain in the first place was sort of to give a little bit of a way to get the ice gun, but the feezing rain itself is a really good idea too, I suppose. The reason I like the Ice Gun so much is because the Ice Rod in terraria was so neat, I thought it would be cool to be able to implement it somehow into Starbound.

8. Phyrak

Phyrak Twenty-three is number one

Weaponised cold.
    who's up for a holiday on a lava planet with an ice shotgun to cool off with? :fireball: :eek: