Karma Diaries

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by macodelo, May 29, 2014.

?

Permadeath: an awesome way to play?

1. HELL YEAH!

25.0%
  2. HELL NAH!

18.8%
  3. Why would you ever do that?

34.4%
  4. Whatever...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Well, might as well start some time.

18.8%
  6. I care so much for my characters thank you.

34.4%
  1. macodelo

macodelo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Time to organize this thread a little more. For a recent turn of events, my thread of my ongoing fan fic will have many stories, but most importantly, based on in game play, will be a mix of diary entries as well as first person narration. To organize my stories I will be using spoilers quite often, although if it comes out awry, then somewhere I screwed up on the code, so please forgive and notify me if you find anything. Enjoy.

Arcs:
    • This arc is my attempt at my first fanfic, and please I am open to many suggestions, critiques, whatever on how to improve new and past posts. As you can see, these posts are to be read as like a diary or captain's log. Of course, I may have digressed from the brevity that log entries are supposed to be as my character, an actual in game Apex I play, goes into a more dark place and reminisces at times. Nevertheless, these logs help also keep track of my gameplay as well. And as the story unfolds you will learn more of my character as you go, regardless that you barely know anything of him in the first few entries.

Alpha Malkut 3583 III
      x -27131105 y -63749716
      Ships Cockpit
      After so much settling Alpha Malkut 3583 III, I am ready to venture forth to another world. So far I have gathered more than enough ingots of every kind to produce a new house. Of course, no other material can replace my love in woodwork, so I will find greater use with my stash for my newly crafted refinery. Besides, pixels may come in handy down the road.

Checking my coordinates, I have my sights on the Beta 78 VIr Minoris III, a planet rich with forests. No doubt there must be Floran villagers there--friendly people if you overlook that some of their furniture has fur akin to my own (*gulp*).

I was wise to befriend them: they taught me that it is polite to hold a bandage rather than a weapon (I am always used to holding a weapons though). Must be a culture of respect kind of thing? Funny, this is coming from a culture that prefers doing the shooting and stabbing first than anything, which by the way I have learned comes in handy when you have mean bow skills--sad news for deadly wildlife. I can only hope that the wildlife in this new planet are not that much harder to kill than the ones here. Who knows, perhaps I can find sentient creatures that can speak rather than splurge out acid? Ugh! The mere thought makes me cringe.

I have yet to find any fellow Apex. Sadly, no luck. But the drive to finally rid of the Miniknog and their tyranny pushes me forward. Who knows, maybe I can invite my new found leafy friends for an awesome hunt? When that happens, everyone wins in my opinion.

But enough joking...

Ship's tank is full, boosters are ready, the final preparations are finished. It's time to put this journal back into my chest pocket close to my heart, for I have a long road ahead of me. My ship cannot wait to launch. Wish me luck.

--Beardleon

Beta 78 Vir Minoris III
      x 63006165 y -17392947
      Teleportation Point: Hilltop

Just as I thought. Forests everywhere with steep hills and the occasional desert. The trees though are interesting, with what I first thought of as cherry blossoms were actually brains... Well at least they are not staring straight at me; I have heard of weirder looking plant life that you find in nightmares. Alas, these are specimens worth keeping--I will collect some seeds. In the meantime, I will explore the place for hopefully a friendly village. The wildlife for the most part are friendly, but ape like birds and skull-faced reptiles prowl the land. I must be extra careful. Wish me luck. I'll make another entry in the next few hours.

--Beardleon

Beta 78 Vir Minoris III
      x 63006165 y -17392947
      Burrow At the Hillside

As night falls, the air grows thick; and everywhere flashes of lightning here are sporadic. I should be careful as I venture out because on this planet lightning can strike twice; how much biological damage it can do I dare not find out.

I was quick to take shelter in a makeshift bunker bellow a steep hillside, and in good timing too. Just before the last flash of lightning had me scurrying to the farthest end of my burrowing hole, I suddenly heard a loud whining sound. It was coming from the cave wall farthest from the entrance--I must have dug too far that I have reached the other side of the hill. Gently and carefully, I used my golden ax to carefully dig a small peep hole, big enough to stick my head out, small enough for just a clear shot to go through.

As I finally broke down the last bit of dirt, there it was--the most goofiest looking creature I have seen. It was huge bipedal creature, that sits on reptilian hind legs, a long tail for support, along with a large belly, small arms, big head with large antlers, and a stubby black nose to boot. As it again made its "lonesome" cry, from earlier, I could not help but think how helpless this creature is. Although a person taller than I am, it seems oddly slow, confused, and subjected. I will study it closer first thing in the morning. What is the worst that can happen?

--Beardleon

Beta 78 Vir Minoris III
      x 63006165 y -17392947
      Cave Pond

I was terribly mistaken. That creature from a few nights before can jump high, run swiftly, and can take massive damage. The reason why I have not been able to make any recent entries is because it was hunting me. Needless to say, I survived, and joyous that I can reap the benefits from its remains.

The creature upon its timely (and epic) demise, dropped a heavy weapon the likes I have never seen before. It is an ax with a huge head, but the shape of the head is intriguing. The butt and eye of the head angles back from the shoulder of the haft, no doubt probably to counter balance the weight of the blade. But incredibly the cheek before the blade thins out before the oddly long bladed edge. You can tell from the two ends of the blade, the toe (top) and heel (bottom), that the blade is almost half the length of the haft. This is due to its long beard the ax curves down like a hook, probably for the purpose of covering more "hacking" area. But what interests me more is the serrated edge, this ax wasn't meant for chopping down trees, it was meant to deliver horrendous pain to its victims. At first glance it looks like a giant heavy beak with contoured teeth. Such a weapon made me hesitant to even hold it, but with my current situation any form of self defense would do.

Of course I regret my hastiness because upon touching it I immediately withdrew my hand due to a sudden burning sensation.

Apparently the item was bathed in some concentrated acid, and from the pungent odor that arose I can strongly say that the creature must have swallowed it and since then remained in its stomach (perhaps from an unfortunate traveler). I caked dirt all over the item as to absorb some of the acidity, and took further precautions by wrapping it in plant vines--cannot take any chances burning these important hands of mine. I was lucky to find a cave pond at some reasonable distance away to wash it. And to my amazement, upon throwing the demonic blade into the pond, the pond suddenly started to boil. At the time I thought, "What on this planet is could be happening?"

I immediately retreated behind a mound as steam began to rise from the cave's mouth as the pond hissed with life, then emanating a reddish glow. It was like staring into the mouth of a fiery beast. I was scared for what I may have possibly summoned, and the memories of using my first distress beacon began flashing in my mind. In the end, the pond was completely evaporated, the vines burnt and dry, but the ax itself gleaming with a red glow. My heart raced as my mind tried to rationalize what I just witnessed. But I as night draws near, I slowly took up the handle--it was warm to the touch. This will definitely do. I have a good hunch that I will survive this night.

--Beardleon

Beta 78 Vir Minoris III
      x 63006165 y -17392947
      Field Testing

I am greatly thankful for my discovery. Apparently, the ax not only delivers heavy damage, but it also burns them! This ax generates so much heat upon contact with its blade. Most of wildlife takes only one hit, and the flames will do the rest. Such power, but of course due to its weight causes my attacks to become sluggish. I was close to being rammed through a mountain because I swung too soon before one adversary even came 7 feet near me. Thus, the major drawback to this is that it requires accurate timing between swings. And the nerve required to be so close to an enemy before a swing is like staring down death.

It will take some time getting used to my new found toy, but for now it would be safe use my bow first at long distances, and the ax for close quarters as a last resort. Besides, my hunting bow brings in so much meat, and sustenance is what I need if I am going to wield such responsibility over my shoulders. Speaking of weight, I can't shake it off that I failed to find something back on my previous moon Alpha Malkut 3583 III. Having been tired of the Beta Sector already, it would be wise to go rest in a more established and familiar zone. Also, I forgot to bring something... Sigh... I have enough fuel for two full tanks thankfully.

--Beardleon

Alpha Malkut 3583 III
      x -27131105 y -63749716
      Edge of the Village

Instead making it to the forested planet, I decided to the make a stop to the arid planet next to it. It has been bugging me this whole journey back. "There is more to that planet," I thought to myself. After landing, having to traverse the arid planet was unforgiving. I can recall a few times I had to tunnel underneath to avoid the dust storms. But eventually, I was able to come across my first Apex village. The sight of familiar faces brought tears to my eyes, but that soon subsided when I gazed upon a huge campaign poster saying "BIG APE IS WATCHING".

When strong cold wind brushed through me, like a memory long forgotten that caught up to me like an over-looming specter, I clenched my firsts as my tears of joy became tears of hate. I remember what I was originally meant to do. Walking through the village I couldn't help but notice that the inhabitants were eyeing me. The guards watched my every move, and inquiring with the locals was out of the question. I was still an outcast, even in with my own race, and I know that doffing the rebel garments wasn't going to do much good.

How long has it been since the rebellion?

My mind has been hazy since my travels that I lost touch with the mission. As I walked from building to building, the old conservative style interiors and clothing bothered me. Then I realized I was being stalked. I had to leave because I began to feel disgusted and emotional, but most importantly afraid. There was nothing for me there. But I did bring this grand father clock with me for my travels. I will have to camp out soon. It is getting dark, and the howling winds were unsettling.

--Beardleon

Alpha Malkut 3583 III
      x -27131105 y -63749716
      Alpha Sweet Home

Having made back to the forested planet I was happy to see that everything was in tack. The underground base wasn't that dusty, and the wood is still in shape and hasn't even shown the slightest of molds despite the acid rain. Plus the farm has grown quite a lot since my departure. And just a few flights of stairs below, there sitting in its pride and glow is my metal work station--what I came back for. Even though I have just enough materials with me to produce another one, I cannot afford to leave any valuables behind.

My ship may get used to being a little cramp for space, but at least I can store things on makeshift shelves and chests. And indeed, I have traveled so far and wide and deep within this planet that I found multitudes of chests. Of course, my findings have only left me a collection of rusty and used tools, but I can't help my pack-ape mentality. Now a serious question I have is how am I going to lift this darn thing up to the stairs to the surface?

--Beardleon

Alpha Malkut 3583 III
      x -27131105 y -63749716
      To the Depths

After an arduous task, I made checks around the vicinity to see if I need to bring anything else. The bed I can leave, the kitchen and yarn spinner I can just make another, and chests... I have too many than I need. I probably will have to gather as much crop as possible, but I will leave some there if any weary traveler wishes to take refuge here. As I walked deeper by each flight of steps I came to my first built mine shaft. As I stopped at its entrance, my mind and body were overtaken with thrills and chills. To me, this is where it all started. My first adventure into the bottom of the planet, countless times I had to bunker every time an unidentified creature tries to tear me apart, to the countless of ores and riches I have accumulated, to the depths my mind I went. And from that, a daring notion arose, "I have to go deeper."

Looking at my already worn-out platinum pickax, I just couldn't help that there is still much more to do in this planet before I can leave it. And there it was settled, I packed a few dozen torches, some stacks of wood, and packs of cooked meat before venturing forth for one last dissent into the darkness. This time I am going to the planet's molten core.

--Beardleon

Alpha Malkut 3583 III
      x -27131105 y -63749716
      Molten Mouth of the Core

The could never have guess how creatures below would have evolved without sunlight. But every torch I placed I seem to have scared most of the threats away. To me, these tiny little flames are my suns, my warmth, my hope. And deeper I went, placing platforms meticulously as I ventured down each hollow chasm, hoping to find some sort of solid ground. If I were to fall at any given point, it would be either be death by fall, or death by whatever lurks beyond my field of vision. Thankfully, my greed had me take every chance I get wherever coal and ores are found, so torches are never scarce.

And the diamonds I found!

It would make sense that in lava rock, diamonds are more abundant in groups. I have accumulated so much that I could probably upgrade my pickax. Just looking at how chipped and dented my pickax there is no doubt. But as I gaze upon this old piece I realized that I have been using the same pickax since my first landing. When my ship first ran out of fuel I needed some efficient way to gather coal and ore, and that was when I made this stone pickax. I recalled the many times I used it beyond its durability.

Staring at the loyal tool for a moment, I immediately was struck with nostalgia. I have came such a long way by myself, that I realized where my pack ape mentality was derived. All my friends and family are either imprisoned, brainwashed, or dead. To me my tools, my weapons, my ship, and my countless of homes are my only true friends.

As I write this, recalling these memories makes it difficult to see a scribble on my page as tears flowed down my furry cheeks. The loneliness is growing heavy. But I must continue. I must save whatever bit of water that's left in my body. For now, I have finally made it. I am at the scorching center of the planet. And just close to me is my first sight of lava. I am just happy that my noble matter manipulator allows me to place stone brick from afar.

--Bearldeon

Alpha Malkut 3583 III
      x -27131105 y -63749716
      Ship's Cockpit and Bandages

Everything in and outside of my body is blistered; I do hope my fur does not fall out. I am currently in the cockpit covered in bandages as I write this, because I wish to just lay it out: it is possible with matter manipulating technology to survive in the planet's core. But I must warn you, without any cooling, no matter how thick the walls, floors, and ceiling are when you make them will not protect you from the harsh temperatures.

Thermal heat conduction anyone?

Also, ventilation is key for survival, otherwise the very air around you becomes a pressure cooker. I was smart to have made an East shaft and a West shaft to let air circulate in one and out the other, with platforms to prevent myself from falling of course At the bottom of the shafts a horizontal tunnel supported by stone beams connects them, which helps me traverse below the lava rock for potential mining opportunities.

How I built the tunnel was simple. I built it in partitions going from East shaft to West. This was how I was able to extend the tunnel while using the matter manipulator to build from afar (away from lava), thus not compromising safety. Eventually, upon finishing the fully placed partition I sealed off the majority of the lava with a wall, which will become a doorway to the next partition when once it was ready. I then removed the lava remaining in the newly built partition--filling it with gravel or dirt sufficed. I repeated this process until I was ready to build the West shaft--I was lucky to guess correctly that it would lead up to the entrance of another cavern, otherwise I would have have to dig through lava rock again (sigh).

Due note, while I was building the partitions, I made sure to lessen the effects of the core's harsh environment by making the structure as thick as a hill or mountain from all sides to insulate myself from the surrounding heat, or at least temporarily. It made the trip bearable, but it was still hot. But no matter how good the design was it only bought me time. As I was heading back to the East shaft, I heard thunderous explosions of matter frying outside the walls. I soon realized the immediate danger that I was in. It was not long before a few yards away at the East shaft I saw a breach in my tunnel design. Apparently a hot spot that was forming there melted through the walls.

As lava began to spill into the tunnel, it wasn't long until molten death filled the major partitions of the tunnel. I had to make a dash for it. With my matter manipulator in hand, I made a temporary wall of dirt behind me. Then with god speed I formed an elevated trail of dirt in front of me as I made my way to the opposite shaft. It was like surfing in the air, but with compounded dirt; I am forever grateful that my intuition kicked in time. It wasn't long until the only barrier from the hellish flood melted away.

As the magma surrounded me and below my platform of dirt, I managed to hop onto the wooden platform as I climbed my way up the shaft to safety, just barely escaping the death as the dirt behind me liquefied. I did not even bothered to look back. As I transcended the shaft, the yellow glow that was chasing me up the mine shaft was enough for me to conclude what was happening. When I finally made it to the cavern's entrance, I looked back in horror and awe as the shaft gave way to the tectonic forces of the planet; the last of the stone brick foundations began to flow like butter. It was an eerie yet beautiful sight. Sadly, I did not find anything interesting at the planet's core, and if there was I am not going to bother for some time.

But I did manage to gather enough supplies for the trip ahead. With these diamonds I have gathered I will upgrade my pickax soon.

This has been my proudest entry yet. But now, I sleep.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144
      Ship's Cockpit

I gazed upon the planet cluster from atop my celestial perch. The cockpit was cozy, primarily due to the heat from the furnace as it smelts the remaining ores I have gathered. Perhaps I should wait until I land first than to smelt on an air oxygen limited spacecraft? Nah, I have confidence that my oxygen filtration system is efficient in removing airborne contaminants. Plus, I am too tired to care.

But really, I wasn't sure what was holding me back. I am usually eager to set foot on a new planet, but now I feel like I am just buying time. Monotony must be taking its toll on me? Maybe it might be from the last few adventures I had,? It would make sense to kick back and just do nothing after all that I have been through. Besides, my body still aches from my last endeavor.

Hmm...

Or it could be now that I have a choice in the matter on where to establish my new home? Let's see: savannah, forest, jungle, snow, moon, arid, and yes an interesting asteroid field for a treat. I am itching to set foot on my first asteroid and moon, but oxygen considerations would be a bit lacking; those are definitely out of the question.

Snow would be too cold for my tastes, but I could get used to eating banana sundae every meal. What am I saying? My health is at stake here. I examined closely with my scans on the other choices. Ugh, I have seen too much forest and jungle to know how treachery awaits behind every bush. This only leads me to my last option: savannah. It may be dry, and water would be scarce, but I think it is possible. Besides, I require glass for an upcoming project.

I guess it is settled. And just in time for my occasionally moody breakfast: the nanostove just finished burning my steaks.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144
      Sandy Landing

Setting foot on the open wasteland; the sand giving way to my weight as I trekked to a more sturdy location. It is barren but plant life can survive here with just a little love and care. Of course, the only trees here that I see are thorny skeletons. They look very withered, yet the stalk was sturdy as I saw several here and there. Just like me barely surviving in this empty void of planets... I guess wood is out of the question. Regardless, I did not want to build just yet, so I pulled out my finally crafted diamond pickax and began testing it. Just as I suspected, strong, fast, and efficient; however, there is no time. I set it aside on my waste to save it for later as I began journeying this planet in hopes that I find sentient life here.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144
      Few Stretches from Floran Camp

As light from the nearby gas giant begins to set in the horizon, I was worried that I may be subjected to the beasts here soon. As darkness fell along my I journey, I saw a faint light flickering far ahead. I could make out a wooden wagon, a few lamps, and a green silhouette of a person. As I moved closer, to my joy it is a lone Floran merchant. How strange.

He was definitely happy to see me and began offering me deals on clothing. But of course I declined, I had no need for such things since I barely find myself in a casual situation. He continually insisted though, and with a Floran ambition placed some of his clothing in my face and demanded that I pay.

As I thanked him for the offer, I left. However, I felt sad though just leaving him there, but since he managed to survive this whole time, I would believe he can survive on his own. Besides, I have much worst things to worry about, and being harassed by an impatient merchant wasn't going to help. As I hastily marched onward and away, something compelled me to look back.

From afar, I can see his faint silhouette again as his his campfire flickered in the wind. But something was different about him from the first time I saw him. And right there, as characteristic like all his kin, I saw glistening in the night were his huge alien eyes staring right at me from that distance. But why were they so defined now than before, and this far away? I admit, felt a tad uneasy, so I turned forward and marched, never to look back. But I just couldn't help that something bothered him.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144
      Cold Floor: USMC Bunker

As I write this log entry, I have so much to confess. Today, I saw my first human settlement. A military base. At first I thought it would be nice to finally shake hands with a human. I never so much in my life have met one. They are usually friendly from what I hear. But soon curiosity and hospitality was soon masked by my primal makeup in an instant--I was immediately suppressed with heavy laser fire.

I took cover by the nearest sand mound I could find. Several droids are being sent to my location to deal with me. Perhaps they were following basic security protocol? At this point, I could have commanded my ship to teleport me back, but I run the risk of them finding my ship's coordinates. Plus, if I were to take laser fire while my matter is being mixed around at light speed, who knows what complications my body could undergo? I could be losing an arm or half a brain once I made it back to my ship. At this point, I am grounded and have nowhere to run.

Why were they firing?

Why was I suddenly a threat!?

But enough questions. I never thought I would have to succumb to force, but I did. I immediately took out my trusted matter manipulator and with quick wit, created a temporary bunker made of cobblestone to shield myself from their raining death. But I had to think fast. I crouched down against my temporary barrier in fear. The droids were continuously advancing as their treads rolled in; soon they will surround me and I will have nowhere else to run.

Was this going to be the end of me [no...]?

Is this how I go [No...]?

Am I never going to fulfill her promise [NO!]?

Then, like a infection, something deep inside me kicked in. Like ghosts from a thousand battles, I was immediately taken over. My heart racing, my fangs clenched, my grip tightens, and then with sudden clarity my eyes widened with eureka!

That's it!

I soon made a dash for it, flanking the mechanized group from their left as they blazed their lasers at me, I raised my left hand holding the matter manipulator as I pointed it straight out in front of me, tightly grasping the trigger. And there, with no doubt, it was like instinct and poetry in motion. As soon as any shot could even hit me, there I was dragging along beside my escape route a compounded stone wall, being constantly created by my matter manipulator as long as I have materials at my disposal.

Just like my survival tactic from venturing the planet's core, this became my shield, my invention, my SKILL! Once I finally made it around the menacing mechs, I have already entrapped them in their own small circle. And like a pledge to the sky, I raised my manipulator and laid down the ceiling placing them in their own dome, their own tomb. With my right hand, I grabbed my demonic ax and gave the final blow at the top of the dome, and as expected the ceiling collapsed and as the heat from my weapon rained hell onto them.

As the dust subsided, all that remains were scorched sand and stone, scrap metal, and salvageable parts. But it wasn't long until human soldiers entered the fray and brought heavy fire themselves...

I dare not even speak the horrors that I have committed, but granted it was a necessary evil I wished I never knew I could do. But all that remains is the question: why was an USMC base containing Big Ape propaganda? And what was that I saw on their projector screens? It looked like a huge planetary sphere, but knowing the Humans, and especially Big Ape, there is more significance to this than am currently aware of. But for now, as I lay on the bloodied floor of their now abandoned underground bunker, I listen to the silence of the facility.

Nothing.

I grabbed a nearest USMC riot shield from a nearby carcass and used it as a blanket. The eyes grow heavy; rest is all I can do to atone for what shattered peace I have. I am sorry Rose for what fate has made me become. Hope nothing ambushes me while I sleep.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144

The loneliness, the hate, and the aggression. It was a matter of time that all these thoughts, thoughts that I wish I could just stow away forever, would eventually come haunting me. My cape is a bit tattered from all the lasers, my armor scratched, my muscles heavily bruised, but worst of all, the dryness in my eyes for forgetting to blink. The rebellion has done a number on me, but past all the battles I have fought, the countless enemies I have destroyed, and comrades lost, I can recall happier days. I wasn't all this ferocious gorilla that writes before you now. I was a carpenter, and a good one at that.

At the age of 5, Apex children would begin an educational process known as categorization, in which Miniknog counselors would determine our roles in Apex society. First tier of the process, called immersion, is a series of courses from ages 5 to 10 teaching us the basics of each societal role. This could be from basic farming, crafting, and yes even combat.

Following that was promotion to second tier called placement, in which we were placed into our "life's calling" based on our performances in each of the first tier courses. Most of us would be placed into roles that our parents were already good in, teaching them the craft of their trade. However, results can be construed, and you have no say in the matter of where the Miniknog places you. Ultimately, you are placed in jobs that were undermanned. But if you excelled in something you wanted to do, you actually had a choice in the matter.

So I became good in crafting furniture at an early age, and as a first tier student you were required to do community hours as a practical factor. So I took it upon myself to help construction work; this appealed to the counselors. Surely I did not neglect my other studies, and quite frankly they were fun and enriching: combat school helped loosen some tension when finals came along, and growing your own food was fun as I was hungry. But the enjoyment of creating good hings with these hands always made me smile. This passion I have all to thank my parents for, because for them nothing seemed impossible.

My mother was an agricultural administrator. My father was a Miniknog squadron commander. Perfect role models in a totalitarian society, yet despite their rank they never forced their values on me. Instead I would find myself drawn to their examples. They knew what was best for me, but they preferred me to choose it instead; something like that was counter intuitive in Miniknog society.

My father was a courageous figure--teaching me that strength was not just from mere brawn, but resourcefulness accompanied with the muscle of practice. He would always say, "When your enemy is bigger than you and all you had was a rock, be a good pitcher. If only a banana, feed his eyes, and then make him slip." We would laugh hysterically every time he goes on his crazy tales, granted this was coming from an officer who never took no for an answer. His attitude though angered many higher ups.

And then there was my mother, who was the complete opposite. An amorous figure in my life, she had a caring heart and helped fund the nearby homeless shelter. To her no one should starve. But she hated her job. She was good at it though, so good that she helped raise crop yields through scientific advancements, making it easy to grow bananas on any planet, no matter how desolate. But most of the food went to the aristocracy and government while famine spread; my mother didn't like that. My mother would always tell me, "If you put your mind to it you can be whatever you wish to be, but you must be good at it..." She would pause hesitantly before completing her sentence, "Otherwise, fate will decide for you."

Of course, fate eventually did decide. The homeless shelter had to be torn down, and the homeless reintegrated into society. My father, forced to be in charge of the necessary force control, and with his brazen attitude tried to refuse. In the end, he had to comply. In the end, he ordered Miniknog forces to remove the homeless and... My father never said what had happened to them, but whatever happened he never forgave Big Ape that day. He never forgave himself. But my mother did, and since then he retired from his role.

Eventually, it would be him and my mother that would lead the rebellion that was to come years later, in which already becoming a full-fledged adult by then, I would follow in their footsteps [a tale for another time]. To this day I can see remnants of my beloved folks in the actions I do everyday. I cannot forget their ghosts.

I will refrain from making entries for a while. The savannah grows dark. The base is no longer guarded, and all I have is this USMC riot shield to protect me.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144
      USMC Scavenger Hunt

Materials can be of significant importance, especially when hard to come by. I had to move on. Getting up was difficult, especially after brooding on the floor of the facility for a while, but once I was on my feet I looked around the facility for things I can take back to the ship. Lights are always a must. Chairs, tables, and desks are good too. A soda machine! I always wanted one, but I may not be able to make any soda, but it can dispense whatever I can cook for easy storage.

I can use these.

OH nice some awesome holograms and tech. My 3-D printer is going to be full after this. But of course I needed some building materials. Aside from the stains that decorate pretty much the entire facility, most of these tiles, walls, and beam supports I can still use. Plus, you can never have enough steel. A modern look just speaks of organization and easy cleaning. After some gathering, I was ready to leave. The odor was becoming too strong to bare; only decay is left here. I just hope none finds what has happened here, because I regret ever coming here.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144
      Going Back

I needed somewhere to wash up. Perhaps I can ask that merchant Floran from earlier if he knows of any watering holes on this planet? For life to survive on this planet, there has to be water. Besides, a lone Floran on a desert planet--what was he thinking? It sounds crazy, but perhaps being carnivorous he probably derives water mostly from his prey?

Whatever the case, I needed to get out of these blood drenched garments of mine, and I don't intend on beaming up to the ship with evidence trailing behind me. Perhaps the Floran could have some nice garments to spare? I never bothered to look at his selection from our first encounter, but now that I think about it, maybe he would have just offered me a loin cloth?

That sounded racist.

I have always had fond memories with Florans, and I am forever grateful to have met them. Never thought I would be engaged in their culture that most of my life I was taught to fear and hate. But instead of fear I was jealous: they were always free, always strong, and never corrupted. All I can do is thank them. If it weren't' for them, I would not have coped with my problems. I owe it all to them.

Now I regret just leaving him alone like that. He must have been very cold. During nightfall on this planet the air becomes chilly due to lack of moisture, and I am uncertain about the wildlife here. So far as long as you avoid them you are okay. But then again, I haven't been out much to now what goes on at night. There is usually howling when the alphas come out to play, but this time I don't hear anything. It's quiet, silent, and void. That's scary. I suddenly I feel compelled to know if he is alright. Why did I leave him?

And then it hit me: I knew why his eyes were as clear as the moonlight that night.

His eyes, drenched by an essence I have known for so long: the defeat of our rebel forces, since the lost of my beloved, since my father's regret. The Florans were known for a lot of things, but personally through my interactions with them their eyes are not as cold and savage as people thought they were. With his eyes glaring that night, my heart sank from the realization--he was portraying sadness.

He was tearing.

Why did I not see it before? Why was I so eager to leave him when I too am alone and afraid? I left him alone to uncertain danger that night, all because I was annoyed. And like looking to the eyes of your reflection, I knew that we was desperate, but most importantly he was lonely! I must find him quickly. The sunset draws near.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144
      Floran Camp

I could not find the Floran. I examined the campsite: his campfire still burns, his wagon and belongings untouched, oil lamps still flickering. No sign of struggle, and no footprints. But I see laid down on the floor were scattered pixels. Could he have made a few exchanges with the USMC? Was he picked up by travelers? No scans reveal any signs of intelligent life nearby. I checked around about a few hundred yards around the camp to find any traces.

NONE.

I will have to stay the night in hopes he returns. I will camp out tonight. I would need to rest these scars of mine, and of course my body needs to heal too. The sand is oddly patted down.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144
      Floran Camp

I am tired. But I must remember this story.

It started when I awoke to the sound of staggering footsteps. I grabbed my ax from my bedside and gave an all around swing. I spun around and posed a low fighter stance with both hands on the handle, swinging over my head, and then landing the neck on my shoulder ready to swing again when needed be while facing the night like an animal ready to defend its territory.

As the flames from my swing briefly illuminated the air and subsided, that's when I saw him. Battered and bruised, his green blood oozed down his like a mangled flower. It was a gruesome sight. His head and arms having multiple deep cuts, like he was slashed multiple times with a knife. But the cuts were perfectly spaced in threes. His left thigh having this huge abrasion with punctures like he had been bitten. Some of his skin was hanging out, and his leaves torn and plucked.

But his eyes, oh his eyes, were tearing from the pain.

I dropped my guard and rushed to his aid. I laid him down by the campfire very slowly, keeping his head and feet elevated. I assured him that everything is going to be okay, but all he could do was stare at me. What was going through his mind I could not tell, but what looked like confused eyes turned into a smile.

Our brief exchange of words were this:

"Floran [cough] feel bad for forcing monkey to buy. Floran get too excited when customers come [cough]..." I took my cape and covered him as he coughed. I placed my hand on his throat. His temperature is dropping.

"There is nothing to feel bad brother! You are not alone anymore" I exclaimed, "You need to rest."

He continues, "Floran feels need to sell, but most importantly Floran wanted to make business partner. [cough] Floran sor... ry..." His voice grows weak.

"Do not apologize to me Floran," I whimpered, "We can be partners. No one needs to be alone. Why are you alone? Where is your village? I thought Florans never leave their family?!"

"[cough cough cough] Floran..." He paused. Looking at his eyes widen a thought occurred to me. Florans typically never leave their tribe unless...

"What are were you about to say Floran? Stay with me. I lost so much already, I cannot afford to lose more!"

"[cough...] Floran," he whispered, "Has no family..." He fainted.

I cannot begin to explain the depression that has befallen me that moment as he closed his eyes. I grasped his hand with my strong right while gently resting his head with my left arm, trying to recover him, but as his muscles grew limp so started my will.

I unpacked all of my bandages. I didn't care if I wasted them all! I was ready to do whatever I can to save his fleeting life, but to no avail. I immediately knew from his collapsing airway that it was too late. My cries could be heard across that forsaken landscape that night as I cried to the heavens. My heart raged as if I could have split the cosmos. As I collapsed beside my fallen brother, my voice cracked and all I could hear was the silent night--cold and desolate.

Luckily, I was able to hear other things.

The night prowlers heard me, and as they reared their menacing grimaces of a face, I saw the evidence: green ooze blotched their mouths and claws. All I could do was stare blankly at them. When they surrounded me, with eyes fierce from the light of the fireplace, I knew it was too late for me. There was no saving me that night. I patted my fallen comrade on the forehead and whispered gently. The animals launched into the air, about to the pounce, but I whispered, "Rest my friend, I will see you someday." Then I blacked out.

It is hard to sleep sometimes when everything hurts. But writing helps...

I'm out of ink, I guess I'll just use 'theirs' instead.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144
      Teleportation Point: Sandstone Mound

I made great use of that wagon that day. In a ceremonial sign of respect, I held my head high as I pulled the wagon behind me. In it was my fallen friend, draped from head to toe with my cape, wrapped in bandages, and positioned with arms crossed on his chest. A person I never knew, a name I did not get, but to me he became a reminder of what we all seek in this empty galaxy.

It has been a few days since I slept, but eventually I made it back to my rendezvous point. This is where I originally beamed down from my ship: a nearby sandstone mound, a few of those skeletal trees, and of course a wide expanse of sand. There has to be somewhere I can bury him? I looked up to the sky, and a deep sigh looked down. Then I looked up. All I could do was blankly stare. And then it occurred to me: I cannot forgive myself for what I have done, but I can atone for what I have done. I can build. Building is what I am good at, and it is about time I build something great. Building...

"I will build high and reach out," I proclaimed that moment.

And there, not too far from the sandstone mound, like forgiveness has been bestowed upon me, I was saved. At the base of the mound a dark vein of moist sand trickled down. Could it be? Why have I not noticed it before? I rushed to the sight and climbed it with shaking hands. Once at the top, I found it. A watering HOLE! I made no delay. I doffed all my clothes and armor and jumped in...

The water was cool and soothing.

I could not believe it.

I must be dreaming.

Like being cleansed of evil, I was suddenly rejuvenated. My aches and pains disappearing from the fresh touch of life, and my bandages washing away. Although revealing scars from the past, I all I could was close my eyes. I did not want to leave that hole, but I had to pay my respects.

Beside the watering hole I made a burial. I gently laid my friend down into it, still draped with my cape. But somehow, nostalgia came hold of me again. Gently, I took the tattered and bloodied cape and placed it on my back on my shoulder, revealing my mummified friend, wrapped in the bandages of that fateful night.

"I will not forget you," I said as I held his bandaged face. At the base of the burial I said my final farewells, and with my eyes flooding like cool water, I entombed him with my matter manipulator and carefully compounded the dirt, thus creating a final resting seal. Once done, I began work on my new project, draped behind me a cloak of a memory I wish never to forget.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144
      Ziggarut

Work has been busy. It has been only two days, but I managed to make progress with little sleep here and there. So far I laid down the stone brick foundations and framework. Building up can be daunting, so I made good use with the scaffolding. They help quite well. I can say that I have built maybe 12 stories or more so far , but that is not enough. I have not even finished getting to the top part, and if I do, will it be high enough? Looking down every time though never ceases to amaze me, that if I slip even once, it will be a miracle if I survive.

I see the watering hole from here. Quite beautiful indeed, despite this barren wasteland of a planet. But enough, as long I can bathe every night I am happy. I will start laying out the walls pretty soon, but what design for the exterior should I use? I still have all this lava rock for good use, and sandstone brick would looks inviting.

Pondering on the matter, I looked up at my towering canvas. I do hope someday someone out there, somewhere, would find this and find me. This was going to be my new home, and I wish it to be for everyone.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144
      At The Burial

I thought of a good design. Something that speaks of tribal influences, and yet to me, speaks of unity and the beauty of the galaxy. In the middle of each wall partition, built in by using lava rock, I made an elliptical design emanating six lines to represent the six races, filled in with dirt brick and framed in sandstone brick. The lava rock represents the deep bonds that burns passionately like a planet's core, and yet adamant and resolved from the harshest elements. The dirt brick and sandstone brick help with filling in the design's negative space. But most part that I liked is the ellipse itself, which represents the bonds that unite us across the expanses of space--no one should ever be alone. We may be different, but I know at the heart of things we are the same.

I admired the finished product. As I turned away to look at the watering hole again, I smiled--you my friend are my muse. As I turned back to return to work, I caught something from the corner of my eye. I turned again to see what it was: a mirage at the watering hole... But something was oddly about it, and I may have been hallucinating, but I thought I saw a faint glimpse of a figure waving at me from afar before disappearing into the horizon. I had to blink a couple of times; maybe my eyes are dry from not blinking again (damn it)?

At the end of the day I went back to the watering hole to wash up before beaming back. But not far from the watering hole I saw it. At the top of the burial sight, what I saw brought me to tears. From the dirt sprouted a flower, but has not blossomed.

Imagine that, in this treacherous desert an flower decided to sprout.

I was overwhelmed with emotion. And then a flashback: I remember back with my interactions with Florans they would have flower pots in their households and flower fields outside their village. One day, I decided to lounge in those fields, of course oblivious of what they meant. It wasn't long until I was immediately confronted by one enraged caretaker. He asked me:

"What are you doing beard monkey?" He shouted my nickname.
      "What's wrong?" I asked.
      "Ugh, Floran knows you know nothing," and facepalms his leafy forehead in disbelief of my ignorance.

He informed me that I was stepping on their burial ground. When Florans die, they give off nutrients back to the Earth just like any organism. But they are unique, upon death, they sprout a seedling, in which sprouts a plant characteristic of theirs on their heads. In reverence to their loved one, they choose to take the plant with them in a flower pot into their households. To them, they connect and communicate to nature, and back to nature they return. It is a lovely bond and responsibility to nature.

I'll be sure to make that flower bloom.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144
      Sandy Quarry

Cleared out the sand for glass wares. Sandstone chipped for brick lay down. Planted a few trees here an there. Finally, my frame is complete. Shouldn't be long until I can cover the ziggarut to keep the damn birds away.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144
      Gardening Woes

Needed fresh and moist dirt. The area is too dry to even grow any sort of crops. I don't intend on using up the oasis by the mound. Would need to travel to the nearby forest planet to gather some fresh dirt. Who knew that even dirt can be precious in this cracked and empty planet? I hope the creatures are not as hostile there as opposed to here. Will need to make quick preparations first. But first, I must finish the last wall designs before beaming back.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144
      Cotton "Pink" Feathers Abode

It is nice know that I will not consume too much fuel traveling between planets. When I beamed down, I was fortunate to find next me a forest cabin. I knocked at the door. At first no one answered for a while, so I waited there. I turned around to scout my surroundings to see what I am up against. The forest is as beautiful as always. The rustling of the leaves as the trees swayed with the gentle breeze is breathtaking. Lakes and rivers are everywhere as they ebbed and flowed. I was able to take in much of the scenic view before I was greeted at the door.

As I turned around to face my host, I noticed that I forgot to remove my hood. And just like reptilian rodent that has seen a predator, my greeter was immediately frightened and yelled out the most insignificant scream I have ever heard. The fear must have made him lose his voice or something? Eventually, he knelled to the floor: head down, buried under his arms, and tail feathers up.

How could I have forgotten? To forget how frightening my hood is.

A rebel's hood covers most of the wearers face in a black veil with only red dots to resemble eyes. This gives the illusion to our enemies as if they were staring down at death, I just happen to wear it all the time that I usually forget that I even have it on.

I was so embarrassed.

I removed it to show my humble face while trying to calm this fellow. It was obvious my now frightened acquaintance is an Avian. He had pink feathers and was wearing the typical modernized orange vest with Avian designs lining the gig line, and a similar designed pair of shorts to boot. Barefoot, or bare-talon, as they usually are. Our slightly comical exchange was amusing if I recall:

"OH please don't hurt me, sir," quivered the Avian.

"Oh, no no no. Don't worry I'm not here to hurt anyone." I smiled and offered him a hand to get up.

He paused, looked up, and like a child shy of meeting people took my hand and stood up. He definitely had worry on his face, but also initial confusion.

"An Apex! So you are not here to probe me again?" Asked the bird.

"Wait... Why would I do that? I just met you and the last thing on my mind I ever want to do is probe someone. I am just here to gather supplies. I was glad to find a residence here so I thought I knocked," I comforted him as I placed my hands on his shoulders.

At this point I don't know what I was getting myself into. But this Avian, who I happen to learn to be a merchant by the name of Cotton Feather, was happy to know that I am a friendly soul. He offered me a place to stay for the night. As we chatted over some alien beef stew, he inquired where I was from and what brought me here. I told him of my travels, where I came from, my adventures, and goals. As my my storytelling progressed, I noticed his eyes shimmered in delight as he listened intently. I was happy to have shared with someone good company after such a long time. It brings me joy to see people entertained and laughing at my rambling; something I used to so much with my old comrades...

It has been a while indeed...

"How did the Florans treat you?" He asked. "I have only heard bad things about them, but how you described them made me second that thought. Never met one myself."

"They are a nice bunch. Of course, first acquaintances are always nerve racking." I chuckled. "At the time, I was hunting when I bumped into them. They pointed spears at me, so I had to think quickly." I took a sip of stew before continuing.

"As sign of friendship, I gave them what I happen to be lugging at the time. They really enjoy company who can also bring slabs of alien tenderloin to a campfire."

"I will be sure to do that hopefully, but it might be a while if I ever do travel again." Cotton Feather looked down disappointed in himself.

A midst the story telling, I never inquired much of him. I was hesitant to ask him, but as I finished the last drops of stew I inquired what he was doing alone here. Instantly, there his face went from disappointment to tearing eyes that showed dread and fear again. Alarmed, I assured him that he didn't have to talk if he didn't want to. But he was eager to tell me everything.

"This afternoon, when I was at your doorstep, why did you think I wanted to probe you?" I inquired.

"Oh... Well, you see I confused you for someone else." He said.

"Wait, are there other Apex like me nearby?"

"Sometimes, they come back on occasion. You see..." He pointed out to his window to show me something.

I went to the window to see what he was talking about. And there it was, some distance behind the house, slightly hidden in the trees, the night was illuminated with industrial lighting--a research facility. I can tell from afar the type of facility it was. It was certainly Apex alright. I turned around to look at my feathery friend, my face already showing grief and anguish.

"Who are they, and what are they doing here?" I sternly demanded answers, but I did not want to scare my friend.

Already tearing at this point, he swallowed before speaking, "Scientists. Usually Apex. I was first to arrive here, but when they landed nearby they began to build the facility that you see before you."

He sniffed a bit. "When they discovered me, they knocked at my door. At first I thought I was going to have potential customers, but..."

He paused. His feathery hands clenching his sides as if he was about to tear apart. "Starting in a few days following that, I was on occasion summoned to their facility. I never had a choice in the matter, they were always 'persuasive'. And if I tried to escape, well, they already took my ship! For that, I am stuck here having to endure..."

He stopped. He then began to slowly take off his vest. He felt ashamed from the look on his eyes, but turned around to reveal his back; I had to cover my mouth for what I saw made me want to vomit. His back had no sign of feathers or anything, but along his spine showed scars and stitches. "THEY did things to me! Horrible things!"

I immediately had to hold him and reassure that he is good hands now. I have never seen a person cry like that, more so from an Avian, but his scars reminded me of war crimes of old. This has been done before.

I grow tired of this Miniknog menace.

I offered to help him that night. I offered him to escape. As we cleaned up the dining room, I thanked him for the meal and went to the room he offered me. He thanked me for the good company and stories before heading off to his room. The bed is comfy. I always preferred to write in my log book in a relaxed state, which is a rare thing in my life.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
      x 87699355 y 33060144
      At the Table

Me and Cotton Feather made preparations the next morning. As always, my trusted bow at my hand, matter manipulator holstered to my hip, and fastened to my upper portion of my back my diamond pickax and demonic ax. Cotton feather didn't have any weapons nor tools, so I had him borrow my riot shield and a weapon of his choice--I had plenty onboard but he happen to just choose a poker. As I finished strapping on my shin guards, I looked up to see "Pink" having a little difficulty with the shield--he had nervousness in his eyes.

"You think you can handle that thing? I got that from defeating some humans a while back after they attacked me." I remorsefully stated. "It may be a little heavy, but it helped block a lot of bullets."

"I think I can, but what makes you think they will have guns?" He asked.

"I don't, but if they don't have any guns that is fantastic. Otherwise, I don't assume they don't. I never assume they don't."

He felt a little uneasy. I could see it. Then just like that, he dropped on the table and said, "I can't do this."

"Wait, what? We can't back off now, especially what they can do to you. I would not want anyone going through what you went through, especially since I know what worst things they can do. And trust me, it is only gonna get worst unless we stop it."

"But I know what happens to those who revolt, from those who rage against Kluex. This taught me to always listen and obey. I never took up arms because of what can happen to people who revolt."

"Kluex? I should have known." I knew where this was coming from. "Well, consider this your first lesson. I am a nice person too, don't get me wrong, but if I have to severe a life to save my own and those I care for, I would not hesitate."

"Wait, are we gonna kill people?"

"Are you kidding me?"

"Well..."

I let out a big sigh. I had to stop what I was doing. I walked up to him, took my ax, and with determination I swung down on him, but just enough to miss him. He screamed and dropped his shield. Luckily, he actually had the instincts to hold onto his weapon over his head in defense. But what you have now is an awkward moment in which a weak and slightly effeminate stature for a guy is guarding with a wooden stick over his head, with his eyes closed, to block an apparently heavier weapon. As he opened one eye to peep to see if he was still alive, I was still standing there looking at him, amused and smiling. Sometimes, being a jerk is necessary to prove a point. I call this "shock therapy".

"What was that for?!" He clamored.

"That was to see if you have what it takes to survive." I smirked, then I got sincere, "I'll admit that I may have been brash, but you must come to the conclusion that unless you love being tortured for the rest of your life, or the end of it, you must learn to take up arms and fight. Otherwise, people will step all over you."

I cocked my ax sideways at his face, the blade emanating a small heat wave that brushed his beak; his eyes flared in confusion yet awe of what happened. "I had to learn that certain people in this galaxy deserved to burn, and that is my sense of justice." I placed my weapon away. I held his shoulder and asked, "Are you still okay in going along with this?"

He whimpered for a bit, then sniffled his runny nostrils before responding. "I guess I have no other choice them?"

"We always have a choice, it is whether we are brave enough to accept the consequences. Don't worry, I got your back."

"Thank you," he cried. He took up his shield and held the handle tightly.

Armor, avoidance, apathy can only do so much, but eventually such things will come back to haunt you. Only courage is what is gonna get you out of a horrible situation. This I know for sure.

--Beardleon

Heading to the base wasn't hard, but to be unseen was difficult. The sky grows darker as we move into the evening. Cotton Feather is trailing behind me. He looks nervous: holding his stick tightly like a sword. I am concerned for his well being.

"Relax," I said, "It makes it harder for you to think and rationalize if you are that nervous."

"Sorry, I just never did something like this before," replied Cotton Feather.

"Here, I will have you stand here if you are not ready for what's ahead. I'll come back for you when I am done. Not to offend you or anything, but stealth requires cunning and patience, and I feel like you'll create a ruckus at the slightest indication of danger."

"I can still help!" He shouted. Eyes showing desire, but I can still feel fear in him. "I mean, I thought about what we discussed earlier. Having to quiver in fear for most of your life, you can't help but be tired of it. I really want to change that."

"I agree, the galaxy is cruel, and if we don't make a stand then it can have its way with us," I proudly stated, "I am glad you finally came into terms with that. But if you are going to follow, you have to stay calm, no matter what."

"Understood," he gulped as he finished.

I still feel uneasy to have him tag along, but it is too late now. We found a clearing above the facility that spans out in a ledge. There is no cover; we need to stay low. We crawled to the ledge to get a good vantage point. So far so good. No guards, no gates, but plenty of lighting. No cameras to be seen--oddly. At this point. I am debating whether we go in for a very short visit, or make it worthwhile to find a way in without the possibility of being detected. I asked my feathery friend a few questions.

"Do they just leave their base unguarded like that?" I asked.

"I don't know, usually they don't expect any guests," he replied. "Only a few times did I encounter them that all I saw were people in lab coats. Some of them holding weapons, but nothing far from the basic firearm."

"It must be another one of those secret bases. Usually Miniknog soldiers would not leave well established facilities like this unattended, but I guess having heavy security would cause some suspicion. Sometimes they would disguise their facilities to act like health centers, but of course that was never the case."

"Now that you mentioned it, they were only scientists, but they had a lot of equipment the likes I have never seen before. Green tanks containing live specimens, and computers to monitor them. I barely recall seeing any high tech weapons."

"Green tanks? How big were these tanks?

"Um, they were big. Big enough to hold a person I think. Some of the specimens made me feel uneasy." Cotton began to cringe again. "The scientists would lead me into a room. There, they had a few of the tanks lining the walls, and at the center was a table with harnesses." He started to shake again.

"You don't have to continue if you don't want to," I assured.

"But I want too!" He paused, then continued. "When they forcefully strapped me down to that table where they could... Work on me... I recall before passing out that I was looking into one of those tanks nearby. I can vividly remember seeing things twitch and turn in them. I would stare into them long enough to make out any details, but the green liquid was murky that I can only see a general outline of the figure in them. I can tell they were shaped like that of a person."

"Just as I thought."

It was no use holding back. The thought of the place made my heart race and blood boil. This place deserves what it was going to get. I looked to my Avian friend, who was looking back at me. He showed concern in his eye had a feeling what I was going to do next.

"Are you okay?" Worried Cotton Feather. The irony in his statement made me smirk.

"Actually, yes, because I am going to teach you the fun side of justice. Do you know what I speak off?" I asked with an already mischievous grin.

"Um..."

"Follow my lead, but stay close," I cautioned, "and ready your shield."

"Um... Okay."

We need to make this quick. I stood proudly on top of the ledge. Looking down, I noticed the ledge sloped downward leading to one of the entrances.

Just like the good times. I put my hood over my head. I used both hands to reach over my back: left had with my trusted pickax, right hand having demonic weapon. It began to blaze as I clenched it with my enraged fingers. "Pink" feathers at this point looking at it, the reflection on his eyes blazing with that of the fire. I guess he understood when he smiled in admiration and said, "I think I know what you mean."

With no moment to waste, as my adrenaline was quick to flood my body, it was also just as contagious. Pink stood up too, holding his stick and shield; there was no hint of fear in his banter. I stepped off the ledge to land sliding down the slope. Pink followed suit too. My cape trailing behind me as it waved in the night, for that moment I felt again to be like a creature ready to deliver death's blow. The gravel and dirt picked up as dust as our feet guided us to the entrance.

Getting close to the glass doors I cocked my ax sideways. The flames in emitted trailed behind like a flare. And like judgement delivering its final verdict, I swung the ax at the glass door. The heat generated from the swing was enough to create a shock wave as we crashed through, leaving shards of hot glass and twisted metal flying into the facility.

It is nice to relieve stress this way.

"Let's make this quick," I said hastily.

"Aye," Pink agreed.

Pink and I entered into the main floor of the laboratory. It was spacious as expected. A few reinforced hydraulic doors that possibly lead to some test chambers were at our left. A stairwell leading down to who knows where, and a staircase leading up the next floor. A few desks and chairs suitable for the modern look of a home, with rotating egg chairs to suit anyone's fancy. Of course, most of the lab suffered from the burning shrapnel that spewed from our dramatic entrance, but me and Pink are not complaining. The lower walls were impinged with charred glass shards, and metal frames have pierced through several hanging monitors. Of course, It didn't matter to us though. I always hated looking at those monitors anyways.

Several shelves were tipped over dropping their contents of beakers and test tubes; everywhere is dangerous to step on.

"Watch your step; glass everywhere," I warned Pink, who unfortunately is going bare talon for this.

"Already ahead of you," he replied briefly while smirking back. Meticulous bugger.

Progressing first to the base of the stairwell leading up, we saw wires lining the walls up the stairs. Probably the control room. I am concerned that we may encounter someone. I look back at Pink

"If you see anyone, do not hesitate to attack. Understood?" I ordered Pink.

"Ah, yes of course," he replied promptly, raising his shield.

"Let's go!"

"Oh, indeed!"

We climbed the stairs, my back to the wall while preparing my bow. I had to make this quick. As we got to the top of the stairs, I turned around the corner and immediately aimed my weapon. Pink just trailing behind with the shield. There was no one at the control panels. There was a big window that spanned towards the ceiling. At the foot of it lined controls from one side of the room to the other. Still aiming my bow at shoulder height at this point, I sneaked around, scouting the area. Chairs properly pushed in the desks and tables. Monitors and computer equipment turned off. Only things of interest here are several safes, an automatic door leading to another room, a few glass cases filled with some organs (ugh), some metal shelving, and air tanks. Seems like no one is here.

"I'll go check the room over there, go check the safes. When were done here, smash everything to your hearts content," I told Pink, smiling at him.

He returned the smile, "Oh, I intend to." Holding his poker tightly.

He's going to have fun. I left him to it while making my way towards the door. I readied my bow. At the entrance I placed my back to the wall to avoid any line of fire. As the door shot up, I slowly titled my head into the mouth of the doorway, just getting a few glimpses to see any movement. None whatsoever. Heart is pounding, I rushed with bow at head level, but as I walked in to the greenish glow of the room, my eyes were drawn to the glass tanks that lined the room.

Oh the horror.

Inside the glass chambers, mounted and housed on what seemed like filtration and cycling units lined with vents, filled and bubbled with the greenish goop, were the lab specimens that Pink was talking about. They are Apex no doubt. Their mouths and noses covered and strapped with their own breathing apparatus, and several wires connected to several parts of their body--possibly connected to their nervous system. They twitched and sometimes bubbled in this disgusting mass of someone's sick science experiment. In the middle was a another control panel with several monitors showing heart rate, blood count, and oxygen levels. There is a keyboard at the table with a card slot.

I look up one of the tanks and pressed my hand gently on it. Looking at their current stasis haunted me. They look healthy, but how could I get them out of there? I might kill them if I smash the glass, knowing the Miniknog, if they were ever found out about their experiments, they made damn sure to exterminate all evidence. I fear there might be a program that would do that if I attempted to do anything. I am okay with computers, but this is out of my hands. I cried a little in my masked hood, the fabric drenching from my own helplessness. Damn it. Damn it all!

I left the room to see Pink already smashing a few bits of jars and computer consoles. I can see he even overturned a few tables and chairs.

"You are right, this is fun!" The astonished bird said. "Hopefully you didn't need any of these, right?" He chucked a few glass jars and threw it at some of the consoles, the fluid contents smearing across the panels.

"So far no," I tried to keep my composure, "did you find anything in those safes?"

"Not much, just a few pixels, some viles, and bananas."

"Bananas?"

"Bananas."

"..."

"Did you want any?"

I grabbed all the bananas he found and threw them on the table. I propped up an overturned chair, and placed my feet on the table top. I grabbed one of the bananas and started munching furiously. I looked to my friend and made a hand gesture to the pile of delicious yellowness at the table's center. Confused at my sudden change in mindset, he took a banana and started eating.

"Um, are you okay?" He kindly asked me, still confused but at least enjoying the bananas.

"No, not really, seldom am I alright. The question is whether I am coping, and that does not happen all the time with me." I finished my banana and grabbed another.

Pink looked across from me to look into the room that I came from. The green glow radiated from the doorway. He obviously understood, "I see. Is there anything we could do for them?"

"Maybe, maybe not. I intend however on getting them out of there, but I am afraid that I might cause harm to them at their current state."

Pink finished his banana, "Wait, so if we were to unplug them, they could possibly die?"

Before the next banana could enter my mouth, I stopped and raised an eyebrow at him as I slowly placed the banana down. I sighed, "The Miniknog are ruthless at keeping their secrets."

"I see."

We both ate a banana at the same time. I wonder what I could possibly do at this point. Stress after stress just builds up after each experience on every planet. Looking back at the room I saw them floating helplessly in their watery prison. I can also sense Pink's concerns of me in my sad state. This was definitely a downer. A downer...

A downer...

"Hey we should explore the rooms below us," I prompted Pink.

"Certainly. Do you think we could find something useful there?" He asked.

"Possibly, I noticed a card slot at the desk. It is a key required to access the computer. There might an access card somewhere in the facility."

"Which means we can..."

"Free them... I intend to."

I got up and gyrated my shoulders a bit. The tenseness in my neck was bothering me, but I managed a good stretch before grabbing one last banana before heading down. The Avian following closely behind me.

"By the way," I pondered, "How long ago did you see them last time?"

"Oh, uh... Possibly a few weeks ago I think,' Pink answered.

"Weeks? So they don't come here often? Then how do they run this plant without any personnel?"

"Actually, I never really thought about that. But the way they look I take them as weird."

"Why is that?"

"Well for starters, some of them wore weird hats over their head."

"Hats?"

"Yes, round bulbous hats covering most of their head, as if to hide something. And they always walked in a straight line, as if they were some robots; spoke like them too. They did not hesitate to follow orders."

I paused for a second. Something came up that reminded me of something long past. As I looked to my comrade I grasped his shoulders and looked sternly in this eyes. My hunches were kicking in again.

"Those hats, could you recall if they had lights and wires coming out from them?" I asked.

"Um..." Already a little fearful from my tone, "Yes actually. Why do you ask?"

Before I could answer him, I heard a few of the hydraulic doors downstairs opening, one by one. The sounds of marching footsteps with incredible unison could be heard. We didn't have much time.

"Remember when I said to ready to ready your shield?" I asked.

"Uh... Yes...?" He spoke softly.

"Good, because we are gonna need some cover!"

The sounds of marching up the steps grew louder. They were coming. The perfect servant of society. The perfect soldier. The mindless. And they are coming to us to fulfill their duty.

I did not need to wait for a visual confirmation. I knew what our hosts were about, and they are about to greet us pretty soon; I can hear the cocking of rifles and energized gear. I grabbed a table to barricade off the stairwell. I propped it up quickly. Pink quickly followed with another while placing the shield on his back. I grabbed my matter manipulator and begun welding the tables into place.

Then immediately, shots began firing.

A few plasma shots managed to pass through gaps in the makeshift wall, and some managed to pierce through the table's metal. My armor blocked most of them, but one managed to just scratch my left thigh.

"UGH!" I grunted. I caught myself with hands extended forward as I lessened my fall and retreated away.

Pink managed to avoid the shots. Lucky coward, all he did was turn his back from the shots and crouched, having his shield take the beating. Hands over his head like before. He managed to regain some sanity when he saw me on the ground. He rushed towards me while giving me cover.

"OH MY KLUEX!" He cried. Some blood trickled down from my wound--a minor abrasion. "Can you get up?!"

"Grr... Yes I can... Ugh..." I cringed and teethed at the pain. Pink managed to get me up as I limped trying to gain balance.

Shots continue to fire as parts of the barricade began to fall off. As more fell off, I can begin to see the faces of our undertakers through the openings. Apex at first glance. But from the cold reddish glow of their eyes showing no emotion, no regret, you can tell that they are now just empty shows of their former glory. Probably once civilians, former rebels, or even Miniknog volunteers? To Big Ape, it didn't matter who; to him all should abide. I managed to quickly fire an arrow at one right between the eyes. As that one fell, another took its place. Persistent devils.

"WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO?" Pink began to panic.

"Do not panic now!" I yelled at him, "You have a shield damn it! DEFEND!"

And just like that, I grabbed his shield and turned him around, holding him at the shoulders while taking cover behind him. He responded immediately by retaking the shield just before a few ricochets bounced off of it. Close call. The shots began to become more accurate as more ricochets began pinging the only thing guarding us--the barrier must be giving way pretty soon. The shield was beginning to push us back as we felt each recoil from the shots. Pink's arms began to grow tense and weak, but the adrenaline kicking in must be helping as we persisted to the barricade. I trailed behind while propping him up with my left shoulder still pushing him forward. I am his motivator, he is my crutch--damn limp. Bow ready in hand as I pulled the string to prep a shot.

"Why are we moving towards the fight?!" Pink question in a hoarse tone, "ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL US?!"

"Just stand fast! I have a plan..." I assured while managing to quickly make a shot over Pink's shoulder. Right in the skull of another.

I took cover again as the sparks and shrapnel still were bouncing off from our shield. In that moment, everything began to slow down. My eyes dilating were wide open at the colorful spectra that I saw. It was like our shield was heaven's doorway that we were about to open, and all around it fire, shrapnel, and plasma shots passed all around it. I was taken away by it as if were were going light speed through time and space... But I knew better than to get distracted at this time. I placed my bow away and grabbed my ax. Eyes refocused, brow line scrunched and angry like usual.

As we pushed closer to the fire fight, I tighten my grip as the ax began charging. The ax knew what it wanted as it heated up and flames began to ignite from the blade. Still pushing Pink forward with my left shoulder while prepping my swing behind me, blade cocked sideways and at knee level. I tried to compensate the weight despite the limp.

"When I yell switch! You are going to let me fall forward!" I ORDERED.

"Are you NUTS!? You'll get shot, plus you can barely walk!" He exclaimed.

"Trust me damn it!" My anger fueled the fire that rested in my hands. He saw the flames grow.

"Oh my Kluex! Make this count!" A corner of the shield chipped off.

"Ready?!" Another crack.

"Yeah!" Were at the entrance!

"SWIIIIIIITCH!" Time slowed down as heartbeats counted the seconds away.

As the shield was about to break, Pink fell forward while ducking just avoiding a shot that ruffled some of his tail feathers. When I can feel the pressure of his back no longer pressing up on my left shoulder, I took an agonizing step with my left leg to keep some balance. As I am going through the motions, all I can feel were every muscle from the wound, up from the waist, the heaving breathing of my diaphragm, to my bulging chest, and to my raising arms as the ax is gaining momentum overhead. A shot just barely whizzing my left side and burned through my cape. Another one maiming my right cheek; I squinted my right eye from the burn. Every ounce of pain making this swing even more memorable. As the demon inside me began to emerge, so did the inferno from my battle ax. My ax already blazing hot, it made contact with the barricade. I lost my grip.

"CROOSH!" The sound of the explosion.

A plume of smoke, fire, and scorching shrapnel filled the first floor and out from where we came in. I fell forward several feet as the stairwell collapsed with me. Once I crashed down chest flat on to the first floor, the compression of my chest was unbearable as the wind got knocked out of me. I gasped for air as I tried to regain my breath and assess the situation; however, dust from concrete, ash, wiring insulation, and roofing filled the air like thick clouds. I wheezed a bit until I was able to breath normally. But now I can't tell where I was. All I could see barely with squinted eyes were just thick dust as it filled my nostrils. I coughed a few more times, but I managed to make out some lights from nearby flames and flickering lights, but the rest was just darkness. My ears were ringing from the explosion.

I wonder if Pink is alright?

My muscles were aching and my head grows dizzy from the battle. I am exhausted, but alive. I sit myself up to look at my wound. Bleeding still, and I can make out a few drops and smudges of blood on the floor. I might have lost a lot.

I yelled out, "HELLO?!" No answer.

Then, from the dust I can make out a tiny red LED light flickering on the floor. Looks like something is coming back online. Might be some back up system or something... But no wait, another red LED light began to flicker close to it. When the lights stopped flickering, like taking on a life of their own, they began to rise from the floor. I can hear a little crackling of debris being crushed under pressure. I can hear hydraulic fluid being spewed, as if a damaged machine tried desperately to work.

Still a little dizzy from what happened, I am confused as to what is going on. As the lights stopped rising, they turned to face me; two little red lights spaced evenly like they were... Eyes... And like the face of death emerging from the dust of some abyss, there, in the face of those once free, came the cold stare of my executioner.

The new line of Miniknog soldiers staring me down a few yards away. As I sat there, I slowly reached for my ax, only to find that I have lost it. My scratched hand slowly trying to rummage for my bow, to only find it out of my reach. I had nothing but my matter manipulator. I raised it slowly with my right arm, I pointed it at the cyborg and pulled the trigger. The matter manipulator lighted up as its beam managed to reach my opponent on its chest. But all it could was merely tingle it as the robotic being proceeded towards me.

It was limping, with every robotic step it took spewing hydraulic fluid from its mechanized knees, but slowly creeping towards me, never diverting its gaze. They show no signs of agony in their expression, even with the damages to their faces. His face, a male Apex, had his entire right face blown off. All I could see was a few hints of a skull, burnt flesh, wiring, and clenched teeth that are visible where a left cheek should be. It was hideous. On the ground, I started to move back as I kicked my legs in front of me to propel me. Still helplessly pointing my toy at the menace.

It took another step as I writhe on the floor. I managed to move three feet back. It took another step forward.

I squirmed for another three, it stepped forward.

My back then bumped into something. I looked back to see a wall. I was cornered. The mechanized zombie took another step, it was about 20 feet feet. I grabbed with my left hand a piece of rubble and tossed it at its head. Direct hit, but it barely flinched.

Another step.

I looked around for materials: concrete, metal platforms, dirt... I used my matter manipulator and cuickly began creating a barrier surrounding my body. Darkness grew around me as I blocked every hint of lighting from the horrific scene that drew closer. The last bit of light from a small opening showed only the red eyes of death approaching. My eyes widened in fear for a brief second before sealing that last opening, hopefully to sealing my fate from the horror that creeps beyond my gaze. I was engulfed in complete darkness. The only sound I can hear was my own breathing and its footsteps.

I pulled my legs towards me and readied my matter manipulator. I am trapped, wounded, and for all that I know I am alone. I listen carefully as to what is going on outside. I can hear the mechanized footsteps getting louder... And louder... Every stomp I can feel shake the floor beneath me. I tried to steady my breathing. If this is going to be the end of me, I rather be brave and fighting, just like what father taught me. The steps can now be heard through my seal. THUD. Another one, THUD! My finger tight on the trigger. THUD THUD.

The enemy is at my door.

I clenched my teeth, if that thing is going to break through, it is gonna have another thing coming. But as I waited, all I could hear was silence. What is taking you so long? Finish me off damn it! What are you waiting for?

I steadied my aim, now both hands on my weapon. Heavy breathing. Nothing. Just nothing. Seems like a damn eternity.

THUD.

My heart jumped at the sound. Then another thud came, each consecutive one being more quieter than the last. It was moving away. I lowered my arms fell on my lap as the matter manipulator fell from my grasp, hitting the floor. Stupid sunnava... It probably couldn't sense me anymore now that I enclosed myself. I chuckled a bit at the fact, of course...

thud thud thud thud THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD!

Holy SH... An arm busted through the wall without warning! It grabbed my face and pulled me out through the barricade.

"GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" I screamed in pain as I can feel my neck muscles being yanked, and the rest of my body hitting some of the barricade on the way out.

My chest must have met some of the metal as my breastplate tore off, introducing it to something sharp. I can feel a cut coming down my chest. My screams becoming more painful, but already tired I can only managed a hoarse cry. The beast still holding me by my face.

My body already limp, my armor torn to pieces, my blood dripping across everywhere. All I could do was hang there.

It then threw me behind it. As I flew, my vision no longer blocked from its grasp, managed to take a glimpse where I was going to land. My guarded my head as I crashed into a nearby medicine locker. I fell to the floor. My vision blurry. My ears ringing. My heart pumping rapidly. I was losing. As I lay there, I turned over to face my foe. It is looking dead at me as it stood next to me. Its red eyes never flinching, always open. All I could do was stare and laugh as it began to raise it foot over my head. It was going to squash me like a banana.

As it was about to severe my ties to this world, I said to it, "Even if you kill me, think this: as long as more others like me are out there, still breathing [cough], still defending [cough]..." I paused to catch my breath. Every word spoken were darts of pains from my already collapsing airway. "Because one day, people like you will know justice from the faces that suffered under you."

The cyborg tilted its head sideways, probably a sign of acknowledgment or confusion.

I then responded, "Yes, I am talking to you Big Ape... You will lose one day..."

Out of my surprise, the cyborg gave off a sound that sounded like a prerecorded chuckle. I manage to return it with a grin. I closed my eyes and imagined better days. Rose... I am coming home...

CRASH!

Oh dear, what's happened? I sat up to look around to find my furry friend. The lights were dark and flickering. I looked to the stairwell. Where it once attached to the entrance ledge has completely collapsed. The entire facility was blinded by thick dust. The air was heavy and I can barely breath. My heart is beating rapidly. OH DEAR, I am panicking again!

"CALM DOWN!" I said to myself.

I pressed a hand on my chest to calm my nerves. Get a hold of yourself. This is not what he wants you to do.

As my heart paced itself, I start to stand up. My legs are a bit wobbly from all the commotion, but so far my body hasn't been hurt. Although why do I smell burnt feathers? I looked at my arms, then my chest, and then my rump...

Oh that's why... Darn it. But no time to worry about looks. For all I know my friend is probably hurt.

I scanned the floor for my shield and poker. The shield is beaten down and chipped, but it can still manage to block a few more shots. My poker is burnt to a crisp. Oh dear... I looked around to find some sort of weapon. And there, right at the foot of the entrance, embedded head first into the floor is that dreaded ax of his. It burns brightly from the surrounding small flames that it no doubt created. As I stared intently into it, I can see my reflection in its blade. For a second I lost track of where I was, and just like that, on the blade I can see myself being engulfed in the surrounding fires that reflected along with my image. I blinked and shook my head. This is not the time to daydream. My hero is nowhere to be seen.

I placed my palm to my beak, thinking what I should do now. Oh dear. He is probably hurt, or worst! Then suddenly I hear...

THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD thud thud thud thud thud...

"GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" Then a crash followed. I can hear several things falling to the floor. It is coming from below the stairs.

I dashed to the stairwell entrance see what is going on. And there, placing my hands to my beak as I gasp at the horror that I saw. There he is beaten down, bleeding heavily, and writhing in pain on the floor as one of my perpetrators began marching towards him. Those robotic beings! The things of what they did to me came back as the harsh memories flooded my mind. I placed my hands on my head feathers as I panicked.

All I am ever good at is panicking and running away. From childhood bullying, the Kluex, the tortures, and then this. I am always worried of being hurt, so I always ran away thinking that my problems would never catch up to me. But of course running away can only do so much. Now I have another problem, and the one who is actually helping me escape that problem is going to die right in front of me. All because I am too afraid to stand up for myself. OH WHY!? I can't stop shaking! OH KLUEX WHAT CAN I DO!?

The menace stands before my fallen friend. Oh Kluex! I crouched in cowardice at the ledge with my hands ruffling my head. But all I could was watch. As tears began to flood my eyes and beak, a flame brushed my face from my right! I flinch, and immediately jumping to the side to catch myself and find out where it came from. And there, right beside me at entrance that damn ax. As I stared even more intently into its blade, I saw myself again. My eyes widened as I stare down my own reflection. But something is different. My reflection is different. The eyes... My eyes... They look stern, they look angry... They're on fire. It might be the tears from my eyes obscuring my vision. But as I lowered my hands from my head, so did my reflection, but it appears to be pointing. It is pointing towards the scene.

I then came back to reality. I turn to watch my friend, who is at this point speaking to his adversary. I listened intently. The cyborg began to lift its foot.

"Even if you kill me, think this: as long as more others like me are out there, still breathing [cough], still defending [cough]... Because one day, people like you will know justice from the faces that suffered under you."

My eyes widened. Those people. I have suffered so much under those people. All because those people who have never in their lives know what suffering is. Those people who carry their authority like we are just part of their grand agenda. I hate those people! I looked to the ax, my reflection smiling back at me. I slowly reach to grab it.

The cyborg tilted its head sideways.

As I lift the ax, its warmth I can feel from its handle, I lifted the ax blade to my face. I must not be hallucinating anymore as I can see my own regular reflection, with eyes of worry and dread. But as I stare myself down, something inside me began to change. I hated being cowardly, I no longer want to run... I stare myself down, my eyes growing more furiously as I can see my brow line scrunch, my eyes intensifying, but above all my hatred grew! And just like that, the blade began to go aflame.

I look back to the scene unfolding before me. "Yes, I am talking to you Big Ape... You will lose one day..."

They will lose. The cyborg, out of nowhere, began to what appears to chuckling. If anything that can tick me off more than suffering is the chuckling of those who think it is funny. My grip tightens. I step forward from the ledge. I lunge at the source of my anger! My friend closes his eyes. The cyborg stopped chuckling. My eyes widened with anger as my heart began to pump. The blade coming overhead ready for the swing. As I rain down, the cyborg looks up and notices me. And in that instant, the last thing it could see was a fiery bird and an ax moving to meet between its eyes.

CRASH!

CRASH!

This must what death feels like. I can hear my own death as the cyborg crush my skull. It feels oddly painless. Just like what I expect from death. I can only imagine what is going on right now...

Wait... My body still hurts. To my surprise, I open my eyes to find that I am still lying on that very floor. But I can feel the air grow suddenly hotter than before. I stare up to find that the cyborg no longer towers me. My death was not delivered, but how?

I try to turn my head to my left, already my aching neck stiff from all the action, made each inch more painful as the last. My eyes desperately trying aid my peripheral vision as to compensate for the lack of mobility. And there smoldering in a pile of what looks like the cyborg in arms reach of me. I can only see its lifeless legs from where I lay. I can see blood splatter from it and the walls next to it, along with some burning chunks of what looks like cyborg parts and flesh. But what intrigued me more was my oddly pinkish fellow perched on top of its chest, back hunch, facing away, and breathing heavily. What is going on?

When my friend came, he turned to face me. Our eyes met and I can tell something is so much different. His eyes radiate with what I am all too familiar with. I can see he is holding my ax. Yes, he has definitely been overtaken.

"Can you get up?" Pink asked sternly... Still breathing heavily

"Ugh... No..." I replied. "Are 'you' okay?"

"Never been better..." He departed the ax from what used to be the cyborg; a slight squelch was heard when the blade lifted. I guess Pink underwent a great personality makeover; as for the cyborg I dare not bother to see how his looked. I think we have prolonged our stay.

"We should leave pretty soon..." I recommended.

With everything in a mess: my scattered and damaged gear, my armor in pieces, and with my dwindling health I have almost no will to even want to move. I cannot move. But the best thing I can be grateful for is that I actually helped someone. I guess you can say I am paying my dues. I remember back to me and that Floran, and just from reminiscing like that tears of happiness began running my down cheeks like rivers.

My feathery friend came to examine my wounds. His facial expression showing no signs of fear or panic, but eyes still show worry.

"This might be painful, but I am going to have to drag you out." He told me.

"Better than staying here. Don't worry though, I should be fine... Trust me, I think I am used to this by now," I winked back with a sarcastic smile. He smiled back.

Pink was smart to use my cape and he dragged me on top of it, pulling at where the cape nears the brooches--acting as handles. It seemed like some time but it was a surreal trip as I look back, being dragged out from a building where so much was done in only a few short hours. The cold night nipping at my blood soaked body. The cold seemed a bit unbearable, but I did not care. I am tired, and a bit unsure if I should just close my eyes and enjoy the trip. I might not even come back after this.

As the night fog began picking up, the facility began to disappear into its veil as we progress farther away, only to see the bright yellow flames and smoke that can be barely seen. It seemed like an arduous task, but eventually Pink managed to bring us back to his home. We stopped just barely before the door as Pink slowly laid me down and sat beside me. Scrawny person indeed, but he managed to pull my weight even. I am proud of him.

"I am proud you," I commended him.

"Thank you," he spoke softly, "I don't know really how it came to it, but I remembered a lot from what you said."

"And that was?"

"Well, just being fed up from being pushed around."

"It was only a matter of time, but I did not expect that you would save my life."

"Me neither..." He paused. "But as I saw you lay there, I could not just stand there helpless. No one really has helped me as much as you did. For that, I am eternally grateful."

"You must have been freaking out though."

"..." He chuckled, "Yes, yes, yes I was... Oh yes I was."

We both laughed, although the pains made any use of my diaphragm unbearable, the laughing is worth it. I coughed a bit before Pink realized that I must be very cold.

"Oh DEAR ME!" Back to his old self I guess.

"Yeah, uh... Could we go back inside?"

"Of course! Why did I even forget? Can you get up? I feel like dragging you up the stairs would not be the wisest thing to aid a suffering friend."

"Ugh... I don't care anymore."

Smiling, he began pulling me up the stoop and through the back entrance where we first started this journey. Back inside the house. The air is cozy and nice, although now a little pungent from the smell of my own blood staining the floor. The living room is dark, but looking at the table and chairs invited fond memories of our conversations we shared. We only met in a few days, but I was willing to help him like he did the same to me in my time of need. It is good have friends. As Pink is scampering around for a light, I looked back at the bloody trail my body has made from the doorway; a funny thought came to me as I saw Pink coming back to his meticulous self again.

"I know how you like your housekeeping, but honestly, red flooring complements your color scheme," I joked.

"Oh shut up!" He remarked.

"What? You cannot go wrong with just one color," I grinned

"I concur..."

There was an eerie pause. My smile soon faded to that of alertness. That voice... I dreaded that voice ever since. The air around us grew tense. Pink slowly turned to where the source of the voice is coming from. Already managing to find an oil lamp, he slowly enlarge the flame before raising the light to greet our guest. As the light met with his white, long, and regal beard, I recognized the banter and aura about his voice, his looks, his dress. My fist clenched tightly as I laid there.

"You..." I responded back.

"Yes me," he raises a pistol. "So what was that about me suffering under you? Humph..."

Big Ape...

I do not know what to make of him, but I take it that my furry friend knows him all too well. His tone makes me weary despite being seemingly old, yet all the more intimidating, and that is not including the fact that he holds a pistol pointing at us. He must have something, or everything, to do with what we've just endured.

All I could do is listen intently to their exchanges... The oil lamp grows heavy on my arms, but I am afraid to put it down for fear of causing sudden movements.

"You... YOU!" Beardleon groans out his words.

"Yes indeed, and I have to say it has been a while. How are your folks doing?" Says our captor. He lifts an eyebrow while displaying a sarcastic smirk. A glimmer in his Apex fang brings me shivers.

"Oh shut up. You would know." My friend sneers, "You knew my father and mother well."

"Indeed. It quite saddened me of their timely demise. Honestly." He sighs, "But like all bad news, I am just numb to it all. But what can you do when you have loyal subjects at your command. All I do is make a simple order and the rest of the details are settled by my chain of command. The news usually gets to me by breakfast the next day. It is good to have reliable subjects don't you think?"

He places his pistol down on the table, barrel still pointing at us, while letting out another big sign. His eyes zone out for a bit, as if deep in thought, before looking at us again. His brow and eyes making a scowl.

"You know how tiring it is to fulfill an agenda?" He asks, his voice deepens.

"No, I just know it must SUCK for you." My already injured friend manages a smirk. Bold he is.

He chuckles. "Huh, yes, you have no idea. Our operations on almost every spread of this damn galaxy puts stresses on me, and even more so when they are overrun with you rebels." He then stares at me. "You don't look like a rebel, yet alone a soldier. Ah... You must be one of them."

I responded, "One of who? I don't know what you mean. I am just a merchant by trade, but somehow I got involved in all this... Um..." I begin to hesitate again. I hate being placed at the center of attention.

"Leave him alone," Beardleon interrupts, "He had nothing to do with this in the first place. Let him go..."

"Oh I think not," the brazen Apex responded, "Not many experiments have been successful on certain subjects. Main causes of these failed experiments is because of genetics, especially on certain species that we are just unfamiliar with. However, your pink friend here has be one of the few successful subjects of my special program."

Successful? Subjects? I am beginning to understand his position in all of this. I stare at him sternly, my breathing grows heavy. He must be in charge of all that has happened to me. With soft spoken words I asked him, "What program do you speak of?"

"Oh, you don't know? Of course, I thought all of my test subjects would be WELL informed before undergoing transformation. Why, my Soldiers Assimilated More for Empowerment program, or SAME. In short, I am helping making the perfect soldier."

"Wait..." My heart begins to pound. "You were in charge of those... Experiments? The trauma, the pain, the surgeries? All that they have done onto me? You were in charge of all of that?"

"I am guess they did the implants first before assimilating you?"

You... "MONSTER!"

He raises his pistol quickly pointed at me. "Nah ah, we wouldn't want to make this turn ugly, shall we? Or at least not yet anyways."

I cannot believe who I am talking to, he is so cold and heartless by his expression. What implants? What was he talking about? Wait, could it be the stitches? I underwent surgery but I feel fine. What is he talking about? My legs weaken a bit as all these things race around my mind. But the thing I can only feel mostly is anger. What did they do to me? All I could do was helplessly listen.

"You heartless freak, ugh..." Beardleon loses breath. He is showing signs of fatigue.

"Oh dear are you alright?" He asks, "It seems my new line of soldiers have demonstrated their metal against you. Although it is a shame you wasted most of them, I can always make more." He glances over to the ax. "All because of some randomly found object. This galaxy never ceases to make new and destructive means."

My friend made a squeamish face at the mere recalling of our recent skirmish. My anger subsided as now I feel more preoccupied at the fact that my friend needs medical attention. I need to get him some bandages quick to stop the bleeding.

I swallowed my pride. "Look, I don't know what has happened, and I don't know what your program has done to me. But all I want is to leave this planet and tend to my friend. He has went through so much, and I don't want to see him suffer. Please, let us go. He was only trying to help me," I pleaded to him. "He needs medical attention quickly or else he'll bleed to death..."

"DAMN HELL HE DOES!" He overturns the table before us in a fitful rage. I almost fainted at the sudden turn this night has gotten us into. He then points the gun at my friend. My friend grows dizzy, but still laying angry eyes at him. Whatever relation they got between each other, I have an uncomfortable notion that I will find out.

"YAAAAAAAARG!" He rises from his seat, "Do you know how he and his family caused me so much trouble? DO YOU?!"

"Uh..." Of course I can't answer that. I raised my unoccupied hand to signal him to calm down. "Well you see I barely..."

"OF COURSE NOT! So I'll tell you. First of all, no one disobeys me." He raises his pistol menacingly.

"Secondly, no one betrays me!" He hunches forward, scowling at us with a terrible grimace.

"And thirdly, when I want something done, some way shape or form, and in time, I will always get what I want. And this buffoon and his family, having raised an army against me, not only have thwarted most of my plans, but also even recruited more people from my own RANKS as well! All because they don't understand what good I am actually trying to do." That last statement took a lot of breath from him. He's panting profusely.

"What's a matter?" Beardleon manages to make a grin. "Is your age finally getting to you?"

I interrupted him. "Stop!" I hushed, "You are in no condition or position to speak. Look, why are you doing all of this? I don't know what is it between you too, but I have a strange feeling it is not a good one."

"Huh..." He heavily sighs before regaining breath. "Well, since it is just you two, and this is going to be the last time you'll be hearing it from me, so I guess I can intrigue with what little time you have." That last sentence is making me go red. The only thing I can do is desperately talk our way out of this. But how?

"You see, I have a vision. Ever since we have evolved, there has been a power struggle within our race as we garnered intelligence. Be it a burden, vice, or curse, but nevertheless I see it as necessary, a gift, and miracle. But with such responsibility and power comes chaos."

His lecture sounds all too familiar.

"So how do you stop that? Simple, like any species, there has to be order, a leading figure, an Alpha male. And like all alphas, you must govern truthfully, but even more so, ruthlessly to ensure the survival of our species. Anything considered different, or diverges from the values of the alpha, brings potential harm and endangerment to the whole. So, that is where I come in." He speaks softly, but his tone still worries me.

"But wouldn't the chaos subside in time? Wouldn't the people figure out how to govern themselves with their new found power?" I inquired, I try desperately to disarm his reasoning.

"Well, yes, if you overlook that it will take years for something like that to happen. But regardless, our race is not alone, other beings out there, stronger, fiercer, and competitive are just biding their time. Eventually, we all will lose to the arms race unless all Apex unite."

"So you brainwash our people for you sick game..." Said Beardleon.

"Not brainwash, I like to think of it as showing them the gateway. But I'll admit, it was a rigorous process."

"You turned them into mindless zombies!"

"I turned them into ideal candidates to ensure the survival of our species. It was their freedoms that jeopardized that."

"But why me?" I asked, "I am an Avian, not an Apex. Why did you experimented on us?"

"You? Hmm..." He looks me up and down. I feel creeped out by it. He then responds, "Well for starters, who said it was just you? Whether it be people who are potential soldiers, or are turned to be soldiers, it opens up a whole new market. Even other races are gaining into the business. Why, I am even partnered with humans as well."

"Humans?" Even others are in this?

"Why yes, and as a matter of fact, they are my best of business partners. Which reminds," he looks sternly at my friend, points the gun at him, "I recall you with some of my recently deceased employers. Do you recall...?"

"You megalomaniac OF COURSE I RECALL!" Beardleon roared! "So that base... They attacked me. They were involved with you after all, werent' they? No wonder they started firing at me. They knew who I was."

"Why yes they did..." he was interrupted again.

"You know we already had it going well until you decided to pursue your sick fantasy of an utopia. You mistreat people as mere puppets. You turned them into puppets."

"Well I wouldn't say that..." interrupted again.

"Stop it..." I whispered softly to him.

"They are nothing but mere shadows of their former selves, all because you wanted to fulfill some damn ideal that leaves no room for anyone but yourself..."

"Shush!" I hushed, "Stop interrupting..."

"You should listen to you flamboyant friend there." He concurred.... Flamboyant?

"And you should learn to back off and leave people be!" Beardleon cried.

Then silence... I look at Beardleon, who is staring at unblinking, at our gunman who is returning the same. For a moment, all I could feel is the tension between their exchanges, but this silence is what is killing me. I believe my friend was asking for too much already. A fighting spirit at heart, but doesn't know when to give up. After a few seconds for what felt like forever, our gunman closed his and inhaled slowly but deeply before exhaling. Then he opens his eyes and said.

"You put too much stress on me, you know that right?"

"If I can get up and choke you I would."

"Well, your time is almost up. I just came here to say my regards to you for such an important bloodline in Apex society. Obviously I am wasting my time here."

"Well, if were are going to die," Beardleon looks up to me, winks, and says, "Sorry matey."

He then made a huge spit wad and spat it across the floor and onto our gunmans feet. I am lost for words.

"Just don't forget me when you burn one day." Said Beardleon.

Our gunman, already enraged as he stares at his saliva laden feet, yells out, "OH FOR THE LOVE OF!"

BANG!

My heart just dropped at the sound permeated through the room. I drop to my knees, and began to cry. The oil lamp just settled before me on the ground next to more blood splatter... No...

"AAAAAAAAAAAH! You..." Beardleon was shot at the knee.

"Of all people, I guess you took up after your father, but even he had manners."

"You bastard!" Beardleon continues to spit what is now bloodied saliva at him.

Blood and spit rain down at our perpetrator's feet. He looks down at it, chuckles and nods his head, and looks back at my friend. The situation is becoming unbearable.

"You would not understand, just like your father..." His empty gaze as he watch my friend grovels in pain; his barrel smoking from his gunshot. He takes a few steps back as to not be in the range of the spit.

"My last order I gave him made him quit the force. A proud example of our military might, and yet befallen to his own weaknesses and best interests, and for what? Because of some homeless trash infecting our society? Who on a daily basis exist to only preoccupy our space. They had their chance, but they decided to leave the gifts of our society because they objected to what I thought of as necessary, just, and fair."

BANG!

"AAAAAAAH... You bastard..." The other knee. I covered my beak with my hands. My eyes are tearing from all this drama. What could I do? I turned my eyes briefly to the ax. Could I reach it in time? BANG!

"STOP!" I yelled. "Please! Stop?! He has learned his lesson. Just please let us go! We won't bother you again! Please!"

I can see my friend's eyes fading away... I'm losing him! No! NO! NO... I jumped on top of my ailing friend. Our hostage taker ceased fire.

"Oh how lovely. An Avian defending an Apex from certain death. I thought I would never have seen the day. Such a remarkable species, if only your Kluex leaders didn't have those silly religious wars of yours. I find it potentially wasted labor, but of course, I have no problem wasting anyone who I deem unfit as you can see."

I look at my friend in his face. His blank stare and faint voice is evident of what is happening to him. I let out a high pitch squeal as I whelp for my friend.

"Oh my what was that? Such a high pitched cry, my are the most effeminate male I have met. HA, HA. Are you gay?" Said our perpetrator.

Are you gay?

Are... You... Gay...?

Gay....?

Gay.

His voice echoes in my head... I stop crying.

I slowly turned to face him and asked, "What did you say?"

"Oh, I am sorry, did I offend you. Quite the effeminate person you are, and the most sensitive. All I ask was if you are gay?"

"Why would it matter?"

"Oh, well you see, it is no wonder you are weak. My ideal society has clear roles, and gender roles even. All the effeminate roles go to the females, and if a male were to express otherwise, well, we fix that."

Fix that...

Fix... That...

"What do you mean fix?" My senses were suddenly heightening.

"Oh, well you see, that is why you had to endure the experiments. It is no wonder that my researchers had to put you through all of that, but it was a shame that your friend had to stop all of that. You would have had your "gayness" removed. It is a born disease, and we can help you with that. You can become perfect. Don't you want that?"

"But... I am perfectly fine."

"Flamboyant, pink, especially pink, I say you would look better in another light... Think about it, all those times you were bullied, pushed, and I like to believe that the Kluex looks down upon you and your "banter", it would be all gone, no fear of prosecution or mockery. You would be one of the perfect soldiers, a force to fear and respect. No one would want to mess with you, and I can ensure that. Well?"

I pause. Deep down, I feel that he is right. I can recall the times under the Kluex where I was looked down upon, and even brought close to death, by those who see me as a natural born sinner. But all of that to be gone? Wait... Can I? Should I?

I was shocked when my friend, who can barely move, see, or breath, places his palm gently on my lap. I look to him, confused and conflicted of all that is going on, but as I almost came to a final decision, he spoke softly to me and said, "There is nothing wrong with you. Live you life, your path, without people telling you otherwise."

My heart sank! No one has ever told me that before. But before I could thank him. His chest collapsed, his breathing lessened, and his arm fell limp as his hand brushes across my lap and onto the floor. And just like that, he is gone.

Gone...

He has done so much for me and now he is gone, in an instant. Some I barely knew, who was willing to risk his life for me.

"Well, what a shame." He lowers his guard, lowers his pistol.

"Such potential, and one of the best builders I know." I blankly stare at my friend, my hand gently shutting his eyelids. Rest in peace my friend.

"Now just nothing but a wasted mass. Humph..." The oil lamp is near his head.

"So, if you are done moping, I have a busy schedule to run, are you willing to take up on my offer..."

In no moments notice, an oil lamp came crashing at his face, spreading hot shattered glass, oil, and flames across his face. And in a quick flash, a gunshot was heard, agonizing screams followed, and fire began to spread. And just like that I blanked out.

When I regained consciousness, I realized I am outside of my house, which was catching on fire. I blinked a few times to grasp the situation. I turned around to see where I was coming from: from a short distance I can see one of the walls was broken through, and from that led a path of some upturned dirt and a few small flames that lined the track that lead straight to where I stand. Whatever just happened I have no recollection, but I can assume that it must have happened quickly.

I can feel a great deal of pain along my back. I had my hands assess the situation quickly. Did I get shot? Wait I felt my left hand holding something. I look to find that I was holding the pistol in my hand. If this is the pistol, then where is my assailant? I turned back to where I was originally facing to see our gunman, running away with his hands on his face screaming before beaming himself up. He is running away, from me?

I blinked a few times to realize that I wasn't dreaming, but how? I look everywhere to find sense, but all I can worry about is the burning pain on my back, as if my spine is catching on fire. Fire... Oh my Kluex! All I could remember was the oil lamp, fire, and screams. But enough was enough. I cannot stay here for long. For now I fear that our defeated assailant may return back with a vengeance. I begin running back to the burning house. I can't just leave him here. Even though...

He may have something for me.

I ran back to the house as quickly as I could. There, laying there peacefully in his state, was my friend and possibly my ticket way out of here. He said I could use his ship, so maybe...

I dragged his body out of the burning building. I am so sorry to do this to you my friend, my savior. I searched his belongings, his persons, to find some sort of teleportation device, something. I checked his pockets, nothing.

Wait...

Right there tucked under a patch close to his chest, a breast pocket. I rummaged in it to pull out a diary and an awfully bulky and peculiar looking pen. I look at it closely to find that it had a button on its shaft. After pressing it, I found that the non-tip end of the pen was flashing--it is a beacon! I finally knew what this is. I held onto my friend as I lifted the beacon to the sky, and in a short moment, a flash of light came down on us, and instantaneously, we were teleported to his ship.

I waste no time.

I look around. The ship is cramped for space, but filled with chests and high tier crafting technology. I rushed to the cockpit to find the controls. They were easy to use and navigate... But where to? For all I know, I have no home. Perhaps my friend can tell me where to go? I checked his diary to find entries, each having coordinates and of potential places to go. I believe I have ample time to find a right one, anything, rather than stay here. Hmm...

Then suddenly, at the control panel sudden blips on a screen indicates a ship closing in. Could it be? The blips were red and indicating hostility. It must be him, and he means business. I checked previous coordinates logged onto the database. I checked to find whichever one. I checked fuel capacity. It is full. Good. I type in the coordinates quickly, but before I could initiate the warp sequence, a message alert pops up onto the screen. My finger froze before I can even start the countdown.

I gulp before accessing the message. It is a video request.

"You... You! I WILL NOT FORGET WHAT YOU DID YOU TWEETY FAGGOT!" My assailant yells across the screen. I jump back a bit to the horror I am seeing.

And then I recall, I threw a burning oil lamp at his face. The reddish scar of where the scalding oil met his skin burned a major portion of his left side of his face. Some of his hair falling off where follicles were damaged. But his stink eye was conveniently red from the burn. I could not hold back a smile.

"For my fallen hero, he was right, some people do deserve to burn." I remarked.

"Oh, I believe it is you who will burn. You probably do not know this, but I have the pleasure of watching you end as I have missiles locked onto your ship."

Damn it! All I have to do is to initiate a warp sequence, and that is just one button press away. But if I press the button, he may begin firing. But if I don't, I am just a sitting target. My finger sits hesitantly on the button. I am trapped.

"Well, I guess I have no choice then?" I admitted.

I continued, "But I have to say, I have to thank you."

"Thank me?" My now confused burn victim pauses for a second. "What do you mean?"

"Because if I had not met you, I would not understand the pleasure of standing up for myself. I am happy to have done what my friend always wanted to have done to you. Even if you kill me, nothing is gonna get rid of that scar of yours, and to me you seem to be ugly to begin with. And on a final note, yes I am gay, and I am damn proud of it too. Toodles." And like that I winked at him and blew a kiss.

"Grah! Enough of this! You will die! INITIATE THE..." The transmission ended.

I initiated the launch sequence. But it didn't matter. As the ship began to orient itself to its course, I sat there contently on the cockpit chair. I finally am taking my destiny into my own hands. I never have to fear of being threatened, mocked, or tortured. For once in my life, I am brave. As the ship finally face my destination, the thrusters beginning their warm-up cycle, I took a deep breath before cracking a smile. For once, even at the edge of my life, I am finally free. My fallen friend lay on the ship floor behind me. And in that moment I whispered, "Thank you for giving me courage."

I closed my eyes as I began to hear several red incoming blips rapidly zoning in on my coordinates. Only a miracle can save me now.

"Nav, report warp time till destination!"

"Report warp time, aye," repeated back the lieutenant. "Sir, Nav, time approximately 76 seconds and closing."

"Very well, Nav."

I picked up the comms for a general announcement.

"Attention all hands, this is the Captain. Initiate Battle Stations. This is not a drill! I repeat, this is NOT a drill!" I place the comms down and sounded the collision alarm.

"Sir, Nav, 46 seconds and closing!"

"Very well, Nav. Fire Tech, report if preparations are made."

"Report preparations, Fire Tech, aye." Repeated back the second class. "Sir, Fire Tech, launch algorithms are set and ready for hell!"

I smiled back in acknowledgement, "Very well, Fire Tech."

"Sir, 10 seconds and closing!"

"Very well, Nav! This is it! If we die, we die giving that bastard hell!" Cheers spread across the deck.

As we approach, I watch the clock. Seconds are ticking away.

If the insider leads are true, then this is it. Our chance to end it all.

Everyone is tense. But they have their reasons. Everyone here holds a grudge.

Lost family, lost friends, lost comrades, lost homes.

Everyone onboard has lost something, if not everything.

But everyone now is willing to lose more so that our future grandchildren may never have to endure loss.

I took a deep breath. I am ready.

Oh Beardleon, whatever has happened to you?

You are gonna miss out.

Well, this for you.

I grab what could be my final banana... The sweetest one yet.

Warp drives initiating cool down. The stars no longer strung out. On the bridge, at the window, we can see it. The big enemy ship.

"Initiate fire sequences NOW!"

The Fire Tech did not even wait for me to finish the second word before launching. One, three, nine missiles launched at the target. Wait is that a unit vessel?

I can hear the controls blip as the missiles draw near. My are still shut. I await my fate.

Waiting... I take another deep breath. I can sense my rib cage and diaphragm lift expand and contract, and the air from my nostrils and out my esophagus. My body is ready. I still continue to breath. Wait... What is taking so long?

I open my eyes to few the screen console on the dashboard. The blips stop short of me. Huh? Suddenly, explosions followed just near the ship. The interior shook from the blast, but the hull stayed put. I am a bit shaken, but also relieved that I am still alive. I glance at one corner of the screen; now I see several blips, but they are honing on the enemy ship. Another ship has arrived, all the while shooting their rail guns as the two ships begin to engage each other. I wanted to see what is going on, but I then remembered about the launch sequence.

My adrenaline kicks in. This is my chance.

I hammer-fist the controls, thus engaging the launch sequence. I can hear the ship revving up its warp drives and I can feel the momentum of the ship slowly pushing forward. I better hang on something quick. I embrace the pilot chair and strap myself in. I can see the space beginning to warp as the stars begin to string out. I got pushed back into my seat rest.

The ship began slowing to a halt; the G-forces slowly wearing off. As the ship stopped, I began to slouch down the pilot's seat until my rear feathers touch the floor. My legs and feet sore from the endeavor that has occurred from the past few hours, and my eyes restless from all the images that still haunt me. I tilt my head to my right to catch a glimpse of my befallen friend. He still lies there on the floor, bloodied and tattered, but I can assume he has seen much more pain and sorrow before. I guess you can say this is a final rest from all of that, but I wish things didn't have to go badly.

"UGH! I hate myself now!" I thought to myself.

My knees [THUD] collapsed to the cold metallic cockpit floor. I slam my feathery palms down to the harsh surface, squinting my eyes harshly as I try to keep the tears from pouring. But to no avail. I began to scream loudly, screeching my throat as I try to push so much hate and pain away from myself. So much loss, so much loss yet again.

"Why!?" I lurch my head slightly forward while slamming a fist to the floor. "WHY AGAIN!?"

Only the sounds of my heavy sobs and breath return an answer. I look up, thinking that perhaps this is all just a long, frightful, and tiring dream. But nothing, just the window of empty space where no one can hear you scream.

Thankfully, the blips on the screen of the cockpit benchboard deterred my attention for just a bit...

I grabbed onto the handrail of the benchboard to lift myself up. My body is weak. I guess your impression of me is right after all Beardleon? Heh. As I wipe my tears off my face to get a clear view of the panel, there, in green digit-font:

System:
      Alpha Malkut 3583 III

Coordinates:
      x -27131105 y -63749716

I look beyond to cockpit to get a better glance. A bigger main planet, and a smaller one. I grab hold of the little booklet to read if for any good notes and pointers. So far so good.

"Huh, lets see," I thought to myself, "Entry 1... Hmm... A good starting point I guess. Entry 2... Well, I guess he did not note very much?"

But for some odd reason, I could not help but become enthralled by his logs. It was like looking into his very soul. I was immediately hooked from reading first few entries and realized, he sounded more intelligent as a literate than a speaker himself. I giggled at the mere thought, with just those few days with him, I suddenly feel like I knew him for a lifetime. What seemed like hours have past, I finally read up to the last log entry...

"Oh dear me," I whispered out softly.

I turned again to look at my befallen friend, as if his very voice can echo across the ship, so can he through this pocket booklet. As I read it more slowly, analytically, the fond memories of our conversations at my wooden dining table brought a smile to my beak. I couldn't hold the tears back. But it is no surprise to me, because that was probably the best time I had in quite a while. After reading his diary, I can imagine now where all his stories come from. He too lived a lonely, yet striving life. He did more than I ever did in my years of mercantilism, to even my own childhood back at the village. But such loss, my, we actually matched when it came to loss.

And Rose... Who is, or was, Rose? So much unanswered, and such an end to a great individual, but for me... No one has ever showed me that kind of sacrifice before... As I slowly closed the book, I took a moment of silence to gather all my thoughts, but most importantly, my happiness. Trade, money, it always kind of been my happiness up until those Apex scientists showed up. And I was living a good life too. A traveling merchant, selling clothing goods across the galaxy all in my custom tailored ship. But unfortunately, that is gone, and possible evidence of my merchant license along with it...

Stop it! This is not the time to gloat of what has already been: he wouldn't have wanted that for me. I will have to be strong in. I can rebuild again. But first, I must tend to my friend...

Alpha Malkut 3583 III
      x -27131105 y -63749716

Sitting comfortably at the garden under a shade just outside above the bunker. The sun is out and the birds, thankfully, are far away. A perfect setting to write my first entry.

It has been a few weeks since that we, or I, escaped from that horrible place. So far, I have been improving when it comes to getting over that traumatic experience. I do not let such dire affairs trouble me, or at least distract me. But regardless, I can never forget that fateful day.

Everyday has been a lot more different. As I grew to understand more of my friend, the more feel stronger, happier, and brave. When settling on this planet, I was glad that the ship's computer jotted the coordinates to his old post. As I explored the entirety of his underground bunker, I grew to understand how great of a constructionist he was. His bunker was built so well, having well placed wooden walls, reinforced with brick, and so many stairs and rooms: pantry, kitchen, bedroom, knitting, armory, and a forge. There is also the famed mineshaft I have read so much about, although I do not have the qualifications to go down there just yet, as well as some decent plumbing and ventilation.

Just basking in the glory of his achievements, I can't help but feel a sense of warmth and pride in my chest. He did this all on his own, in hopes that someday he can share it with people. I bet he made great use of that matter manipulator, which we unfortunately lost that dreadful day. But at least I have been maintaining the place. It was a little dusty and empty when he abandoned it, but I am grateful that it still stands for anyone to use. In honoring his memory I helped clean up the place.

Speaking of that... I have been taking up a new hobby, although my sowing and knitting has never left me, I found myself finding more time to actually work out. When organizing his inventory in his armory, I came across one of his weapons. An Apex Maul. A little heavy, but a lot lighter than that dreaded fire ax of his--which we fortunately/unfortunately lost as well. I just can't help but admired it. When I first laid eyes on it, I couldn't help but examine it more closely. It looked a little pigmented and rusted, probably from never cleaning it, but I was able to shine and polish it, thus, giving it new life. But its face was something to behold: the maul at its "giving" end has the face of an angry Apex baring its fangs as if ready to attack its enemy, just like he would. It practically resembles him, which made me admire it even more. With that, I have found a nice weapon for myself, and since then I have never let a day go without some training with it. For that, I have gotten stronger.

As for my friend. I have him buried just outside the wall going East, where I made a slight makeshift memorial for him. And luckily enough, some of his old Floran friends actually came by to visit.

At first acquaintance, I was a little shaken up, but luckily I learned from a well experienced Apex that if you have happen to have some alien BBQ that day, never fail to share it with your Floran guests. For that I, I am proud to actually have befriended some of them. The stories and times they shared hunting and gathering, to the dances we had around the campfire, as well as the somber exchange of reintroducing them to him, the experience had me love this place.

I feel that I have greatly inherited his legacy. As I finish this log entry, I can contently say that I feel at home. In the longest time I have lived, this is the first time that I have finally admitted that I feel at home. I wish to never leave, but time will only tell what this vast universe holds for us. All we can do is enjoy as much as we can from it before it decides to turn awry.

Also, I hope Beardleon doesn't mind if I use his journal.

--Cotton Feather

• As another chapter closes, another one begins. After just barely escaping the clutches of the egocentric Miniknog leader, Big Ape himself, at the cost of his hero's life. Cotton Feather, a pink feathered Avian and clothing merchant, takes up Beardleon's legacy as he finds his own path for courage.

Alpha Malkut 3583 III
      x -27131105 y -63749716

I felt good today. The weather was ideal for some outdoorsy activities. Although it was very dry during miday, I was able to find a well shaded plot of grass int he forest. I did the usual upper body routine with the maul, along with some calisthenics for some leg work. I then treated myself to a home grown salad a slab of alien tenderloin, glazed with a grape-based sauce, and seasoned with red pepper seeds, that was slow smoked to perfection as I train. Who would of thought that I would learn to love red peppers? I am just glad I use just a little at a time or else my bird gut would have not forgiven me. I can't understand why humans would gorge themselves on them. A little is enough to reap the benefits of the capsaicin, which I have to thank since the who knows what beasts I have slain contains ungodly worms. Note to self: hunt edible species that do not wallow in their own filth.

Aside from taking pride in my culinary skills, I have been doing some experimenting. Recently, I just discovered some schematics stowed under my bed while I was cleaning it. From the precise detailing of and logic, they are no doubt done by my late friend. Probably produced from the 3-D onboard his ship?

One of the schematics shows the plans for a matter manipulator. I just need to go digging for the materials, but it is going to take a while. Regardless, I cannot begin to recall how reliable one can be. One will definitely come in handy.

But one schematic has caught my attention. In red ink, it was 'X' out crossed out from corner to corner of the entire page, and on a portion of it was written "This is a bad idea!"

What could he possibly mean by that? I guess I'll take his word for it, but I just can't help but ponder the worst that can happen with using a distress beacon.

I can only recall a few times that I have ever went digging. It was never been my specialty. Back at my home planet, The Kluex and their high fathers were commissioning art to glorify 'their' god. This introduced so many job opportunities for the local folk. The only problem is that it involved working at the mines.

I was the youngest of three boys in my family. The eldest of about three minutes to his hatch twin was named Alpha Wing, and his twin Beta Wing. It never surprised me that my father named them that way. He always wanted a son, and with the twins having his liking: black feathers, white fluff, and a determined Mohawk, it wasn't long until he started training them in his line of work.
    Please note: I stress that these entries are BASED on my ingame experiences, so please do not go complaining back to me that I lied that you can have these certain experiences in the game. OH MY, that would be very funny, and I may give you crap, but I am going to clarify it to you by reading this intro again if you failed to do so from the beginning.

Anyways, I digress. Enjoy these entries and please tell me what you think

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    Bubblegum, Zebe, Shock and 1 other person like this.
  2. macodelo

Beta 78 Vir Minoris III
    x 63006165 y -17392947
    Teleportation Point: Hilltop

Just as I thought. Forests everywhere with steep hills and the occasional desert. The trees though are interesting, with what I first thought of as cherry blossoms were actually brains... Well at least they are not staring straight at me; I have heard of weirder looking plant life that you find in nightmares. Alas, these are specimens worth keeping--I will collect some seeds. In the meantime, I will explore the place for hopefully a friendly village. The wildlife for the most part are friendly, but ape like birds and skull-faced reptiles prowl the land. I must be extra careful. Wish me luck. I'll make another entry in the next few hours.

--Beardleon

Beta 78 Vir Minoris III
    x 63006165 y -17392947
    Burrow At the Hillside

As night falls, the air grows thick; and everywhere flashes of lightning here are sporadic. I should be careful as I venture out because on this planet lightning can strike twice; how much biological damage it can do I dare not find out.

I was quick to take shelter in a makeshift bunker bellow a steep hillside, and in good timing too. Just before the last flash of lightning had me scurrying to the farthest end of my burrowing hole, I suddenly heard a loud whining sound. It was coming from the cave wall farthest from the entrance--I must have dug too far that I have reached the other side of the hill. Gently and carefully, I used my golden ax to carefully dig a small peep hole, big enough to stick my head out, small enough for just a clear shot to go through.

As I finally broke down the last bit of dirt, there it was--the most goofiest looking creature I have seen. It was huge bipedal creature, that sits on reptilian hind legs, a long tail for support, along with a large belly, small arms, big head with large antlers, and a stubby black nose to boot. As it again made its "lonesome" cry, from earlier, I could not help but think how helpless this creature is. Although a person taller than I am, it seems oddly slow, confused, and subjected. I will study it closer first thing in the morning. What is the worst that can happen?

--Beardleon

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Zebe, nababoo, Shock and 1 other person like this.
  3. Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

Just patched and fixed the first entry. Nice story, even if it's a bit too short, but entries shouldn't be that big anyway. Keep it up.

4. macodelo

Thank you. I am always terrible with word choice, but I try. Whenever I am engaged in the game, I think like my character as well as what I am about to write. IT keeps me sane, especially when the game gets too perilous or bland.

Shock likes this.
  5. macodelo

Beta 78 Vir Minoris III
    x 63006165 y -17392947
    Cave Pond

I was terribly mistaken. That creature from a few nights before can jump high, run swiftly, and can take massive damage. The reason why I have not been able to make any recent entries is because it was hunting me. Needless to say, I survived, and joyous that I can reap the benefits from its remains.

The creature upon its timely (and epic) demise, dropped a heavy weapon the likes I have never seen before. It is an ax with a huge head, but the shape of the head is intriguing. The butt and eye of the head angles back from the shoulder of the haft, no doubt probably to counter balance the weight of the blade. But incredibly the cheek before the blade thins out before the oddly long bladed edge. You can tell from the two ends of the blade, the toe (top) and heel (bottom), that the blade is almost half the length of the haft. This is due to its long beard the ax curves down like a hook, probably for the purpose of covering more "hacking" area. But what interests me more is the serrated edge, this ax wasn't meant for chopping down trees, it was meant to deliver horrendous pain to its victims. At first glance it looks like a giant heavy beak with contoured teeth. Such a weapon made me hesitant to even hold it, but with my current situation any form of self defense would do.

Of course I regret my hastiness because upon touching it I immediately withdrew my hand due to a sudden burning sensation.

Apparently the item was bathed in some concentrated acid, and from the pungent odor that arose I can strongly say that the creature must have swallowed it and since then remained in its stomach (perhaps from an unfortunate traveler). I caked dirt all over the item as to absorb some of the acidity, and took further precautions by wrapping it in plant vines--cannot take any chances burning these important hands of mine. I was lucky to find a cave pond at some reasonable distance away to wash it. And to my amazement, upon throwing the demonic blade into the pond, the pond suddenly started to boil. At the time I thought, "What on this planet is could be happening?"

I immediately retreated behind a mound as steam began to rise from the cave's mouth as the pond hissed with life, then emanating a reddish glow. It was like staring into the mouth of a fiery beast. I was scared for what I may have possibly summoned, and the memories of using my first distress beacon began flashing in my mind. In the end, the pond was completely evaporated, the vines burnt and dry, but the ax itself gleaming with a red glow. My heart raced as my mind tried to rationalize what I just witnessed. But I as night draws near, I slowly took up the handle--it was warm to the touch. This will definitely do. I have a good hunch that I will survive this night.

--Beardleon

Beta 78 Vir Minoris III
    x 63006165 y -17392947
    Field Testing

I am greatly thankful for my discovery. Apparently, the ax not only delivers heavy damage, but it also burns them! This ax generates so much heat upon contact with its blade. Most of wildlife takes only one hit, and the flames will do the rest. Such power, but of course due to its weight causes my attacks to become sluggish. I was close to being rammed through a mountain because I swung too soon before one adversary even came 7 feet near me. Thus, the major drawback to this is that it requires accurate timing between swings. And the nerve required to be so close to an enemy before a swing is like staring down death.

It will take some time getting used to my new found toy, but for now it would be safe use my bow first at long distances, and the ax for close quarters as a last resort. Besides, my hunting bow brings in so much meat, and sustenance is what I need if I am going to wield such responsibility over my shoulders. Speaking of weight, I can't shake it off that I failed to find something back on my previous moon Alpha Malkut 3583 III. Having been tired of the Beta Sector already, it would be wise to go rest in a more established and familiar zone. Also, I forgot to bring something... Sigh... I have enough fuel for two full tanks thankfully.

--Beardleon

Shock likes this.
  6. macodelo

Alpha Malkut 3583 III
    x -27131105 y -63749716
    Edge of the Village

Instead making it to the forested planet, I decided to the make a stop to the arid planet next to it. It has been bugging me this whole journey back. "There is more to that planet," I thought to myself. After landing, having to traverse the arid planet was unforgiving. I can recall a few times I had to tunnel underneath to avoid the dust storms. But eventually, I was able to come across my first Apex village. The sight of familiar faces brought tears to my eyes, but that soon subsided when I gazed upon a huge campaign poster saying "BIG APE IS WATCHING".

When strong cold wind brushed through me, like a memory long forgotten that caught up to me like an over-looming specter, I clenched my firsts as my tears of joy became tears of hate. I remember what I was originally meant to do. Walking through the village I couldn't help but notice that the inhabitants were eyeing me. The guards watched my every move, and inquiring with the locals was out of the question. I was still an outcast, even in with my own race, and I know that doffing the rebel garments wasn't going to do much good.

How long has it been since the rebellion?

My mind has been hazy since my travels that I lost touch with the mission. As I walked from building to building, the old conservative style interiors and clothing bothered me. Then I realized I was being stalked. I had to leave because I began to feel disgusted and emotional, but most importantly afraid. There was nothing for me there. But I did bring this grand father clock with me for my travels. I will have to camp out soon. It is getting dark, and the howling winds were unsettling.

--Beardleon

Alpha Malkut 3583 III
    x -27131105 y -63749716
    Alpha Sweet Home

Having made back to the forested planet I was happy to see that everything was in tack. The underground base wasn't that dusty, and the wood is still in shape and hasn't even shown the slightest of molds despite the acid rain. Plus the farm has grown quite a lot since my departure. And just a few flights of stairs below, there sitting in its pride and glow is my metal work station--what I came back for. Even though I have just enough materials with me to produce another one, I cannot afford to leave any valuables behind.

My ship may get used to being a little cramp for space, but at least I can store things on makeshift shelves and chests. And indeed, I have traveled so far and wide and deep within this planet that I found multitudes of chests. Of course, my findings have only left me a collection of rusty and used tools, but I can't help my pack-ape mentality. Now a serious question I have is how am I going to lift this darn thing up to the stairs to the surface?

--Beardleon

Alpha Malkut 3583 III
    x -27131105 y -63749716
    To the Depths

After an arduous task, I made checks around the vicinity to see if I need to bring anything else. The bed I can leave, the kitchen and yarn spinner I can just make another, and chests... I have too many than I need. I probably will have to gather as much crop as possible, but I will leave some there if any weary traveler wishes to take refuge here. As I walked deeper by each flight of steps I came to my first built mine shaft. As I stopped at its entrance, my mind and body were overtaken with thrills and chills. To me, this is where it all started. My first adventure into the bottom of the planet, countless times I had to bunker every time an unidentified creature tries to tear me apart, to the countless of ores and riches I have accumulated, to the depths my mind I went. And from that, a daring notion arose, "I have to go deeper."

Looking at my already worn-out platinum pickax, I just couldn't help that there is still much more to do in this planet before I can leave it. And there it was settled, I packed a few dozen torches, some stacks of wood, and packs of cooked meat before venturing forth for one last dissent into the darkness. This time I am going to the planet's molten core.

--Beardleon

Alpha Malkut 3583 III
    x -27131105 y -63749716
    Molten Mouth of the Core

The could never have guess how creatures below would have evolved without sunlight. But every torch I placed I seem to have scared most of the threats away. To me, these tiny little flames are my suns, my warmth, my hope. And deeper I went, placing platforms meticulously as I ventured down each hollow chasm, hoping to find some sort of solid ground. If I were to fall at any given point, it would be either be death by fall, or death by whatever lurks beyond my field of vision. Thankfully, my greed had me take every chance I get wherever coal and ores are found, so torches are never scarce.

And the diamonds I found!

It would make sense that in lava rock, diamonds are more abundant in groups. I have accumulated so much that I could probably upgrade my pickax. Just looking at how chipped and dented my pickax there is no doubt. But as I gaze upon this old piece I realized that I have been using the same pickax since my first landing. When my ship first ran out of fuel I needed some efficient way to gather coal and ore, and that was when I made this stone pickax. I recalled the many times I used it beyond its durability.

Staring at the loyal tool for a moment, I immediately was struck with nostalgia. I have came such a long way by myself, that I realized where my pack ape mentality was derived. All my friends and family are either imprisoned, brainwashed, or dead. To me my tools, my weapons, my ship, and my countless of homes are my only true friends.

As I write this, recalling these memories makes it difficult to see a scribble on my page as tears flowed down my furry cheeks. The loneliness is growing heavy. But I must continue. I must save whatever bit of water that's left in my body. For now, I have finally made it. I am at the scorching center of the planet. And just close to me is my first sight of lava. I am just happy that my noble matter manipulator allows me to place stone brick from afar.

--Bearldeon

7. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

Nice story' s. :DD Also I care for my characters.

macodelo likes this.
  8. macodelo

Thanks man. Every time I have my game Starbound sessions, I recall the progressions as I go, from building my house, fighting of hostile NPCs, hunting, gathering, and of course digging. In short, I come up with this stuff as I go. But funny to think that the storyline and plot came naturally to me.

I am glad you care for you characters as much as I do. I bet you are playing on permadeath, no?

Disco2 likes this.
  9. Disco2

Yeah playing permadeath :)

macodelo likes this.
  10. macodelo

*high five* STAY STRONG BROTHA! It's only gonna get more weirder and scarier.

I am currently in a planet cluster called Beta Muliphein 245 III (sethome on b). It's great, it has almost every all of the essential biomes: savannah, jungle, forest, snow, moon, arid, and including an asteroid field. Although the savannah one had a human base that I unfortunately had to raid. It was a military base but I guess they saw me as a threat. There is where I found Big Ape propaganda, and a holographic projector that clues in on a possible death star in the works. HOw far you in the game? I managed to beat two bosses, but trying to get the other ones take time. For now I am just building a desert tower in the savannah, because I see myself staying on this planet cluster for some time. I am glad that they have so much sand to produce glass.

Hey, if you wish, how about inviting me on a server some day? It pains me to play by myself, if it is okay with you.

Disco2 likes this.
  11. Disco2

Currently in the b sector gathering ingots... Also yeah we could play together that would be awesome.

macodelo likes this.
  12. macodelo

I would be honored my human friend :apex:

Disco2 likes this.
  13. macodelo

Alpha Malkut 3583 III
    x -27131105 y -63749716
    Ship's Cockpit and Bandages

Everything in and outside of my body is blistered; I do hope my fur does not fall out. I am currently in the cockpit covered in bandages as I write this, because I wish to just lay it out: it is possible with matter manipulating technology to survive in the planet's core. But I must warn you, without any cooling, no matter how thick the walls, floors, and ceiling are when you make them will not protect you from the harsh temperatures.

Thermal heat conduction anyone?

Also, ventilation is key for survival, otherwise the very air around you becomes a pressure cooker. I was smart to have made an East shaft and a West shaft to let air circulate in one and out the other, with platforms to prevent myself from falling of course At the bottom of the shafts a horizontal tunnel supported by stone beams connects them, which helps me traverse below the lava rock for potential mining opportunities.

How I built the tunnel was simple. I built it in partitions going from East shaft to West. This was how I was able to extend the tunnel while using the matter manipulator to build from afar (away from lava), thus not compromising safety. Eventually, upon finishing the fully placed partition I sealed off the majority of the lava with a wall, which will become a doorway to the next partition when once it was ready. I then removed the lava remaining in the newly built partition--filling it with gravel or dirt sufficed. I repeated this process until I was ready to build the West shaft--I was lucky to guess correctly that it would lead up to the entrance of another cavern, otherwise I would have have to dig through lava rock again (sigh).

Due note, while I was building the partitions, I made sure to lessen the effects of the core's harsh environment by making the structure as thick as a hill or mountain from all sides to insulate myself from the surrounding heat, or at least temporarily. It made the trip bearable, but it was still hot. But no matter how good the design was it only bought me time. As I was heading back to the East shaft, I heard thunderous explosions of matter frying outside the walls. I soon realized the immediate danger that I was in. It was not long before a few yards away at the East shaft I saw a breach in my tunnel design. Apparently a hot spot that was forming there melted through the walls.

As lava began to spill into the tunnel, it wasn't long until molten death filled the major partitions of the tunnel. I had to make a dash for it. With my matter manipulator in hand, I made a temporary wall of dirt behind me. Then with god speed I formed an elevated trail of dirt in front of me as I made my way to the opposite shaft. It was like surfing in the air, but with compounded dirt; I am forever grateful that my intuition kicked in time. It wasn't long until the only barrier from the hellish flood melted away.

As the magma surrounded me and below my platform of dirt, I managed to hop onto the wooden platform as I climbed my way up the shaft to safety, just barely escaping the death as the dirt behind me liquefied. I did not even bothered to look back. As I transcended the shaft, the yellow glow that was chasing me up the mine shaft was enough for me to conclude what was happening. When I finally made it to the cavern's entrance, I looked back in horror and awe as the shaft gave way to the tectonic forces of the planet; the last of the stone brick foundations began to flow like butter. It was an eerie yet beautiful sight. Sadly, I did not find anything interesting at the planet's core, and if there was I am not going to bother for some time.

But I did manage to gather enough supplies for the trip ahead. With these diamonds I have gathered I will upgrade my pickax soon.

This has been my proudest entry yet. But now, I sleep.

--Beardleon

Disco2 likes this.
  14. Disco2

Ah, here we are time to kick back an read.

macodelo likes this.
  15. Disco2

Ah, nice escape an great job for writing it all.

macodelo likes this.
  16. macodelo

I am trying to catch up to my current situation. These adventures are actually a few days old. I know I am going to enjoy the current sector I am in. I have to say, most of these posts are filled with sadness, adventure, and oncoming next ones: MADNESS. I hope my character survives. Wish me luck.

17. Disco2

Indeed.

18. macodelo

I made changes. I even included the detailed process of making a path in the planet's core. Of course you may have thought about it already and probably have done it. I made a suggestion in one of the forums to probably create a tremor like creature in each planet's core, or perhaps some sort of boss that could survive in the environment. But the challenge there is trying to kill it while surrounded with lava. It would be a scary yet rewarding feat if I do say so myself (^_^).

19. Disco2

Yeah, I think there adding some new boss mobs or mob kind in the new update there still working on.

20. macodelo

Beta Muliphein 254 III
    x 87699355 y 33060144
    Ship's Cockpit

I gazed upon the planet cluster from atop my celestial perch. The cockpit was cozy, primarily due to the heat from the furnace as it smelts the remaining ores I have gathered. Perhaps I should wait until I land first than to smelt on an air oxygen limited spacecraft? Nah, I have confidence that my oxygen filtration system is efficient in removing airborne contaminants. Plus, I am too tired to care.

But really, I wasn't sure what was holding me back. I am usually eager to set foot on a new planet, but now I feel like I am just buying time. Monotony must be taking its toll on me? Maybe it might be from the last few adventures I had,? It would make sense to kick back and just do nothing after all that I have been through. Besides, my body still aches from my last endeavor.

Hmm...

Or it could be now that I have a choice in the matter on where to establish my new home? Let's see: savannah, forest, jungle, snow, moon, arid, and yes an interesting asteroid field for a treat. I am itching to set foot on my first asteroid and moon, but oxygen considerations would be a bit lacking; those are definitely out of the question.

Snow would be too cold for my tastes, but I could get used to eating banana sundae every meal. What am I saying? My health is at stake here. I examined closely with my scans on the other choices. Ugh, I have seen too much forest and jungle to know how treachery awaits behind every bush. This only leads me to my last option: savannah. It may be dry, and water would be scarce, but I think it is possible. Besides, I require glass for an upcoming project.

I guess it is settled. And just in time for my occasionally moody breakfast: the nanostove just finished burning my steaks.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
    x 87699355 y 33060144
    Sandy Landing

Setting foot on the open wasteland; the sand giving way to my weight as I trekked to a more sturdy location. It is barren but plant life can survive here with just a little love and care. Of course, the only trees here that I see are thorny skeletons. They look very withered, yet the stalk was sturdy as I saw several here and there. Just like me barely surviving in this empty void of planets... I guess wood is out of the question. Regardless, I did not want to build just yet, so I pulled out my finally crafted diamond pickax and began testing it. Just as I suspected, strong, fast, and efficient; however, there is no time. I set it aside on my waste to save it for later as I began journeying this planet in hopes that I find sentient life here.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
    x 87699355 y 33060144
    Few Stretches from Floran Camp

As light from the nearby gas giant begins to set in the horizon, I was worried that I may be subjected to the beasts here soon. As darkness fell along my I journey, I saw a faint light flickering far ahead. I could make out a wooden wagon, a few lamps, and a green silhouette of a person. As I moved closer, to my joy it is a lone Floran merchant. How strange.

He was definitely happy to see me and began offering me deals on clothing. But of course I declined, I had no need for such things since I barely find myself in a casual situation. He continually insisted though, and with a Floran ambition placed some of his clothing in my face and demanded that I pay.

As I thanked him for the offer, I left. However, I felt sad though just leaving him there, but since he managed to survive this whole time, I would believe he can survive on his own. Besides, I have much worst things to worry about, and being harassed by an impatient merchant wasn't going to help. As I hastily marched onward and away, something compelled me to look back.

From afar, I can see his faint silhouette again as his his campfire flickered in the wind. But something was different about him from the first time I saw him. And right there, as characteristic like all his kin, I saw glistening in the night were his huge alien eyes staring right at me from that distance. But why were they so defined now than before, and this far away? I admit, felt a tad uneasy, so I turned forward and marched, never to look back. But I just couldn't help that something bothered him.

--Beardleon

Beta Muliphein 254 III
    x 87699355 y 33060144
    Cold Floor: USMC Bunker

As I write this log entry, I have so much to confess. Today, I saw my first human settlement. A military base. At first I thought it would be nice to finally shake hands with a human. I never so much in my life have met one. They are usually friendly from what I hear. But soon curiosity and hospitality was soon masked by my primal makeup in an instant--I was immediately suppressed with heavy laser fire.

I took cover by the nearest sand mound I could find. Several droids are being sent to my location to deal with me. Perhaps they were following basic security protocol? At this point, I could have commanded my ship to teleport me back, but I run the risk of them finding my ship's coordinates. Plus, if I were to take laser fire while my matter is being mixed around at light speed, who knows what complications my body could undergo? I could be losing an arm or half a brain once I made it back to my ship. At this point, I am grounded and have nowhere to run.

Why were they firing?

Why was I suddenly a threat!?

But enough questions. I never thought I would have to succumb to force, but I did. I immediately took out my trusted matter manipulator and with quick wit, created a temporary bunker made of cobblestone to shield myself from their raining death. But I had to think fast. I crouched down against my temporary barrier in fear. The droids were continuously advancing as their treads rolled in; soon they will surround me and I will have nowhere else to run.

Was this going to be the end of me [no...]?

Is this how I go [No...]?

Am I never going to fulfill her promise [NO!]?

Then, like a infection, something deep inside me kicked in. Like ghosts from a thousand battles, I was immediately taken over. My heart racing, my fangs clenched, my grip tightens, and then with sudden clarity my eyes widened with eureka!

That's it!

I soon made a dash for it, flanking the mechanized group from their left as they blazed their lasers at me, I raised my left hand holding the matter manipulator as I pointed it straight out in front of me, tightly grasping the trigger. And there, with no doubt, it was like instinct and poetry in motion. As soon as any shot could even hit me, there I was dragging along beside my escape route a compounded stone wall, being constantly created by my matter manipulator as long as I have materials at my disposal.

Just like my survival tactic from venturing the planet's core, this became my shield, my invention, my SKILL! Once I finally made it around the menacing mechs, I have already entrapped them in their own small circle. And like a pledge to the sky, I raised my manipulator and laid down the ceiling placing them in their own dome, their own tomb. With my right hand, I grabbed my demonic ax and gave the final blow at the top of the dome, and as expected the ceiling collapsed and as the heat from my weapon rained hell onto them.

As the dust subsided, all that remains were scorched sand and stone, scrap metal, and salvageable parts. But it wasn't long until human soldiers entered the fray and brought heavy fire themselves...

I dare not even speak the horrors that I have committed, but granted it was a necessary evil I wished I never knew I could do. But all that remains is the question: why was an USMC base containing Big Ape propaganda? And what was that I saw on their projector screens? It looked like a huge planetary sphere, but knowing the Humans, and especially Big Ape, there is more significance to this than am currently aware of. But for now, as I lay on the bloodied floor of their now abandoned underground bunker, I listen to the silence of the facility.

Nothing.

I grabbed a nearest USMC riot shield from a nearby carcass and used it as a blanket. The eyes grow heavy; rest is all I can do to atone for what shattered peace I have. I am sorry Rose for what fate has made me become. Hope nothing ambushes me while I sleep.

--Beardleon

Zebe likes this.