1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Florans have a religion?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DasFohlen, Jan 6, 2014.

?

What religion should Florans have?

1. Praying to a god

11.5%
  2. Worship a universal leader

9.8%
  3. Worship leaders of their own tribe

19.7%
  4. No specific religion at all

59.0%
  1. DasFohlen

DasFohlen Void-Bound Voyager

It would fit to their primitive look and behaviour, and it would explain their relations to other races.

They could pray to a god like the Avians could possibly pray to the aliens which terraformed their planet and gave them the knowledge to build ships?

I'm asking because I haven't seen any shrines yet, but if there is a story which explains their beginnings like the history of the Avians I would be grateful if you told me.

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

All documentation is found in link below.

Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\codex\documents

Serenity likes this.
  3. I do think that they have some beleafs.

4. GuardianTempest

GuardianTempest Void-Bound Voyager

Well, if you count the Code of Honor they call 'stabbing'.

SirKaldar and MrDrMuffinPants like this.
  5. semetsu

semetsu Void-Bound Voyager

I think Florans would be Sun-Worshipers, and probably see visiting other "Gods" (star systems) as a gift from theirs and probably have some really weird views on eating other "Gods" beings... Who knows maybe they would see a desert or rocky planet as a challenge to "Vegetate" or bring life to it since that "God"s beings haven't had enough faith to do so. I mean its kinda hard to figure out how a sentient plant would think.

Imagine...

We findsss the beingsss, they hasss not faithsss in the light, we stabss them so they may wet their world and bring lifesss to it.

Florans could see this as normal, humans would see it as insane. Kill and consume animals so that plants may grow... like the opposite of vegetarianism. Couold even see the Sun as a giant life giving flower and the Florans the pollen thereof. So much room to easily form a Floran religion.

Sh4dowWalker96 and DasFohlen like this.
  6. Jco

Jco Space Penguin Leader

This is interesting, I haven't considered what forms of religion might exist in Starbound beyond what the Avians have. Of course, religion is a huge part of what makes the Avians, so theism is sort of their thing more so than it is for the other races. Wonder if there's anything canon written on non-Avian religion?

I'd imagine Floran religion to be polytheistic, tribal. Violent obviously. They do participate in ritual cannibalism. I would look at very early religions - mesolithic, paleolithic. Animal worship (possibly plant worship, or maybe some rare Florans worship other races), hunting rites, totemism, etc. Ooh, this could get really interesting. Imagine a Floran viewing settlers from beyond the stars as divine creatures, and performing hunting rites directed at those settlers with the express purpose of consuming their flesh, and making weapons, clothing, and jewelry from their bones and pelts. And imagine finding the aftermath in game!

7. Kufell

Kufell Pangalactic Porcupine

The Furreonist, DasFohlen and Jco like this.
  8. Jco

Jco Space Penguin Leader

Hey, awesome, exactly what this thread was looking for! Glad to see this! Really interesting about Florans specifically. The deification of Big Ape is to be expected for the Apex, and we've already known about the Glitch progenitor race. This is the first I'm hearing of Light Lord though. Is there anything else about this person? A quick google and wiki search just shows that codex.

Looking forward to seeing more about this, and other lore.

9. DeltaV

DeltaV Pangalactic Porcupine

I would assume the 'light lord' would be a reference to the Avian and Glitch ships that crashed into the Floran homeworld and ended up giving them technology.

DasFohlen likes this.
  10. Kufell

Kufell Pangalactic Porcupine

I personally expect the Light Lord to either be the sun, something like Kluex or in fact Kluex itself by a different name.

Given that it is referred to as the Light lord makes me suspect that the Floran will be fascinated by the Novakids, and thus friendly with them out of respect.

11. Canucked

Canucked Astral Cartographer

I believe in ssstabbing.

12. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

They seem to worship specific things. Like Greenfindger and ssstabbing.

SirKaldar and Yzzey like this.
  13. DasFohlen

DasFohlen Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe butt rubbing is a religious ritual?

14. SugarShow

SugarShow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

15. Jco

Jco Space Penguin Leader

Fact, thousands of Florans die on the roof of their blazing spaceships, knife in hand, hurtling into the center of a star, attempting to stab the sun in a bout of inspired religious fervor.

16. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

[​IMG]

BiasedLibrary, UnCui, Raybolt and 5 others like this.
  17. daws167

daws167 Orbital Explorer

Perhaps a Novakid?

18. Rune the Red Panda

Rune the Red Panda Existential Complex

They worship stabbing, their minds aren't capable of comprehending much more.

19. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

They said something about meeting "sunflower" something and going weak at the knees

20. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

The way I see it, they might be just more spiritual than religious. Similar in the way of the native americans. Of course since there really isn't much to go on, then it really is just all speculative. I don't know any lore that states floran religion or spirituality in some form. Could be wrong, as I haven't read all of the codex yet. However that codex that was mentioned does not tag floran in it, just 3 of the races beyond the avian. So I go by what I think might be instead till there is some form of codex mentioned.

Mr Brightside, SirKaldar and Akado like this.