Detailed Planet Scanner Idea

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Revolt!, May 29, 2014.

1. Revolt!

Revolt! Void-Bound Voyager

This is gonna be pretty brief and to the point as I'm always rushing in star bound time between work and all but I've finally thought of a balanced way to scan planets for points of interest and safety reasons. My character needs to grow and just running around the galaxy is not helping my space pirates out very much. I'm not much of a mod person so I figured I'd throw this out there...

After about three and a half months of piloting my various ships and settlers across this galaxy I find myself racing over planets to find an eye ball chest and some carrots! No complaints on drops its the interesting feature I'm looking for... More of a treasure hunt! All I ask is for a scan of the solar system you currently reside with some basic notes of what might be in the area... like a distress beacon, avian temple, crashed spacecraft, glitch farming village, glitch castle or a human outpost. I don't even really wanna know what planet its on I just wanna know its there to be Found!

If its possible to simply scan the corresponding .world file and and have possible points of interest come up... This might lead to a more structured line of exploration. I've had no luck opening a .world file to see what was in it so i don't know if the values are there for this to even exist.

Now this is where I'd like to make use of the SAFETY aspect... Say my Captain Cafune (Human) isn't a very nice person. Attacks settlements, steals and maybe doesn't pay taxes. Well he might want to avoid major encounters with apex cities, and avian temples. As these are more glorified people with laws and don't take very well to space pirates.

Character development is a big aspect in games I like to play with... Im not asking for increasable stats, (i like improving myself) just asking for personality or how encounters might change. This might just add that little amount of depth for some... having to fear the ssswords of floran hordes... but at the same time I understand where will you pull these numbers from... points of interest, racial settlements, character alignment , racial alignment... Sounds like some will need to be added if not all ready there...No Idea I just hope this adds enough back into the pot of ideas you guys have the chew through everyday...

Last note... (I wasn't brief and am late for work)

I'm really enjoying this game and watching it develop. The daily updates are great and the community envolment is stunning to watch. Keep it up dev team!

2. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

isn't this a planned feature of future updates ? i'm afraid. the planet scanning..

3. extremist

extremist Existential Complex

It's in plan already, Omni shared even a few pics of the new console, yet I can't recall where.

4. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Planet scanners are confirmed. Shows all sorts of info like weather, hazards and settlements

[​IMG]

Picture is old as buggery, but you get the idea.

Revolt! likes this.
  5. Revolt!

Revolt! Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you! Glad to see the dev team is ahead of the game... Im glad there is more than just moon types and will happily wait ... Let's hope npc's could change their hostility id love tea time with some insurgents

6. 8-BIT Gorilla

8-BIT Gorilla Astral Cartographer

I believe it's already in process.

7. dragontwinmaster

dragontwinmaster Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I know that a planet scanner idea is in process. I would like to see it expanded. Perhaps a generalized search scanner that covers basic information (see below), and a more thorough one that requires you to select the planet to scan.

I've been looking for the smallest planet (tier 1) that meets relatively specific requirements. If there were a way to search based even on simple criteria like:
    Biome
    Size
    Base Material (Red/blue/green/brown Dirt, etc.)
    Water type (normal, hard, poison, magma).

Anything else would be too much for a generalized scanner.