1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom maps?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bly, May 26, 2013.

1. Bly

Bly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

One of the main playtime extenders of Minecraft is the awesome custom maps fans have made. Do you think there will be tools fans can use to create awesome custom maps in Starbound? What do you think that will look like?

2. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

Post-release there will be a feature called Director's Mode. The leader (usually the admin of a server) can build custom dungeons and worlds, then in Director Mode spawn NPCs and monsters. He can even control the NPCs so they can "talk" to the players. I've heard Director's Mode compared to DnD (Dungeons of Dragons), except in Starbound. It sounds really promising.

3. Yes Director Mode can be a "quest maker", special stuff we invent, the possibilities are awesome, indeed! :lolwut:
    Before that, we can make that with Save Files, like Terraria.

4. Pazius

Pazius Pangalactic Porcupine

On top of that making your own dungeon types seems like a very easy task!

5. Bly

Bly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That sounds neat. It sounds like that would only work in multiplayer... would there be a way to spawn monsters in singleplayer?

6. suger47

suger47 Guest

I believe that they will have a developer kit, with the way the game is like other games like counter strike. I can say not that they will not put a dev kit, but mean not. i hope they do put it.

7. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

From what I understand, singleplayer games run on a local server (i.e., the program creates a server on your own machine, then automatically connects to itself). Because it's a local server, you should (theoretically) have admin rights, so you should be able to use director mode and spawn monsters as much as you like.

8. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

hmm...from my little understanding(i'm saying little because i know things change all funky like) it seems that changed will be saved in some magical Chucklefishian file, that magic file will hold all the changes that have been made in the server/save so, in theory, once you have located the file you can replace it with the file that contains the already changed worlds and poof! Chucklefishian magic kicks in, you go to the coordinates and enjoy the map! once your done a simple replacing of the files and you have your previous world working up again as though nothing has happened~ while director mode has been talked about in the above i read OP as "How will i put the maps themselves?" rather than "How do i make my own?". everything the above says is verrrrrry correct and everything i have stated is just a guess by little old me.

9. Forever

Forever Phantasmal Quasar

Starbound is much better for Dungeon Master type things with Director Mode.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  10. Sophisticated Mayhem

Sophisticated Mayhem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yep, Neverwinter nights had a mode called "DM" mode, or Dungeon Master mode. Same basic thing, only editing terrain wasn't possible except in the world builder. Though you'd have to do all of this manually as the person is playing. Using LUA, you could probably set up custom maps people could play solo, without the need of someone controlling NPCs or with decent typing skills.

11. PhotogenicSkeleton

PhotogenicSkeleton Orbital Explorer

Can't a custom map be created by simply creating and making the map in your own world then releasing the world in the "Universe" folder on a file sharing website? Then people can go to that world with the coordinates you give them? And the character you also share that had all of the items you want them to have, including enough coal for fuel to make it to the custom planet?

I plan on creating my own and uploading it to my chucklefish account in the future.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  12. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

You can - but with director mode the idea is something more akin to DnD. Where you can not only create the map but all the scripts associated with making it an interactive adventure. Though if director mode is "live editing" or creating the world and publishing it. They haven't said.

Though considering it is called "Director" it might be a mix of both

13. Rune the Red Panda

Rune the Red Panda Existential Complex

What's thy director mode? Back in my day when you made a map you had to make it from scratch and share the world file!! Darn kids.

14. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

I loved the fun designs people would come up with in MC even before all the fancy map making stuff it has now. Adventure planets or systems would be pretty fun IMHO.

Back in my day you had to build a fort out of cushions and use a paper towel roll if you wanted a custom adventure.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  15. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

That means... once the Director Mode comes out, we can make interactive fanfics/fangames! Just imagine one custom map will revolve around eliminating Agarans, and the other will be an elaborate dating sim.

linkthegamer likes this.