Chemistry, anyone?

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by DeVoid, Mar 24, 2012.

1. DeVoid

DeVoid Void-Bound Voyager

How would y'all feel about chemistry in Starbound? They (the devs) mentioned something about plants having different and unique effects, could it possibly be taken back to the ship and turned into chemicals that cause the effects? It could be useful for potions (are they in syringes now, or is my terrible memory?) and poisons (could be put on melee weapons (or if acidic, thrown to cause damage or maybe melt blocks)), adding effects to the types of mixtures you decide to make.

(On a tiny side note, drugs would be interesitng to think about, like possibly making colors very bright or slowing down time :rofl:)

Thoughts and concerns?

2. Luihu

Luihu Subatomic Cosmonaut

Definitely 'do want'.

Even better if instead of the old "alchemy"-gimmick it really has that more scifi name "chemistry". If in any way it could also play a bigger role in larger crafting like aqua suits (breathable liquids to better handle ocean depths) or phosphorous or gaseous weapons.

Although I doubt it would be fun to some people to turn crafting into a more micromanaging system where the parts need to come from all sorts of different crafting processes. Personally, I find that being the most fun.

NinjaNick and Rex like this.
  3. DeVoid

I can see how if it is too micromanaged, most people wouldn't like it. I'd be fine with it though. It should be an optional process though, you should be able to go and spend pixels on what you could make with chemistry (well, most everything. The really fun stuff should be intra-chemistry to add incentive to partake in the process) to give people the option if they want to mess with it or not.

4. TeoTheDriller

TeoTheDriller Big Damn Hero

There could be different levels of dealing with chemistry: the cientist who want to test various substances and mixtures to know what it would do, the crafter who ocasionally do one or other experiment to augment stuff, the explorer who knows two-three different recipes that help in travelling..., and of course, the boss, who leaves the complicated stuff with the guys in the station. Also, some graphical and listennable clues to know behore-handed what the results of experimenting does could be nice as well.

And drugs... well, why not? Good luck surviving the side-effects and paying for fixing the damages xP

5. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

There should be chemistry and it could be as involved as you wanted it to be. You could leave to researchers to try and find higher tiers of things to make or you could take research into your own hands (have two beakers with chemicals and add them together and get colour changes).

6. Space Core

Space Core Pangalactic Porcupine

I would love to see chemistry, that way i can be a scientist!

7. StarMetal25

StarMetal25 Phantasmal Quasar

We should be able to make "smells" too. Like we can make the smell of meat to lure creatures to us so we can kill them :devil:

8. DarkDXZ

DarkDXZ Phantasmal Quasar

If chemistry would be in the game, I would try to replicate the Corruption from Terraria and take one of my many planets as a primary test subject.
    Also, newly born Poptops for tests in lab conditions. (ie. cryochambers. I LOVE cryochambers)

Bughunter, DeVoid and Dead like this.
  9. StrafeHunter

StrafeHunter Void-Bound Voyager

I am a chemistry student, adding it to Starbound would give me the worlds biggest science hard-on.

Especially if mixing things wrong ended with explosions.

I would like to see a system wherein when you go to an alien planet and gather research on the flora and fauna there, then take what you get back to the lab to reverse engineer weapon poisons or immunities and things like that.

10. DarkDXZ

DarkDXZ Phantasmal Quasar

I would be fine even with pure elements to play around with.
    Although, I don't really imagine finding rubidium or sodium in nature, but hey, it's a game, after all.

11. StrafeHunter

If you found a planet with saltwater oceans or underground salt deposits you could put it through a processor in the lab and get some sodium.

12. ViewedCloth

ViewedCloth Zeromus

You mean like, making LSD? Sweet.

[​IMG]

13. StrafeHunter

I can't see why synthesising lysergic acid diethylamine would be difficult in the future :p

14. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Johnny was the Chemist's son, but Johnny is no more
    What Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4
    (I tried making them subscripts but the forum just wouldn't have it)
    On a more serious note, if chemistry was added to the game it could go one of two ways: Real chemistry and Sci-Fi Chemistry. Which do you guys think would be better? Personally I think realistic chemistry would be much more time consuming to implement... and Sci-Fi Chemistry would be a good way to incorporate potions in a more realistic manner.

15. DeVoid

Maybe a good mix of real and Sci-Fi Chem? Just to give the mix for the science nerds - like StrafeHunter and myself - and the casual gamer alike who is partially into science. Pure, real chemistry would just be a hassle for the Devs to put in (though, would still be fun. Maybe someone more computer-savvy could make it a mod?), so a mix of the two could possibly be a nice compromise.

Having to capture animals and plants (from what I remember, at least) was discussed by the devs in one of the Q&A sections, so there is hope :D

Lugubrious and rafeu like this.
  16. Rhylok

Rhylok Aquatic Astronaut

I think Sci-Fi Chemistry as an alchemy-esque equivalent would be a welcome addition to the game. It allows for buff poitions, in the form of Salves or some other appropriate skin, and allows the plants, animals, and metals to have a more interesting and interactive crafting option. The only problem I see is how to deal with the wide variance in procedural generation, but I trust that's a problem they've tackled often enough now to be good at it :p

17. Tiktalik

Tiktalik Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd like this. Hopefully you could use chemicals for various purposes other than potions, like acid grenades, or chemical weapons that would output poisonous gas. :devil:

18. Urist McDwarf

Urist McDwarf Void-Bound Voyager

If actually advanced chemistry gets implemented, I'll definitely accidentaly figure a way to make an infinite explosion loop that'll crash my game, ahh chemistry, one of the most sciency sciences.

19. Kilo

Kilo Pangalactic Porcupine

This would be really helpful in game, if we could mix different chemicals together to get results? Who needs a Wiki, when you can mix them at random and hope for some Amazing (or maybe even explosive!) Results! 8 D Remember what goes together well, and pass on the information to other players, who can add or subtract their own chemicals from the formula to tweak and change it!

20. Luihu

Luihu Subatomic Cosmonaut

Sounds like The Elder Scrolls' alchemy system. From my point of view, that's not a compliment.