1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

CharGen Easter Eggs - When & How They Were Found

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by AstroBlast, Apr 7, 2013.

1. This thread is to show detailed descriptions of when and how each Easter Egg in the Character Creator was found! (creds to Keeper for the idea)
    It will be updated when new ones are found as well.

February 20, 2013

Tramsan, the CharGen coder, posted this thread explaining an update for the Character Creator.
    In the OP, this picture was posted of the Generator. Cut off at the bottom was written "IFoundAGlitch".
    Many people overlooked it or didn't notice it at all.

Later that day (or the next day, depending on your timezone), someone (I think Luna) entered IFoundAGlitch into the name-box of the CharGen.
    And thus, the first easter egg was found:

[​IMG]

February 28, 2013

The first issue of the Starbound Chronicle was sent to subscribers. In it contained some interesting news, including some pictures.
    Out of all of the news, something caught reader's eyes. A picture, captioned "Hint hint. ;)", contained a few lines of code:
    [​IMG]

For the next few days, many in this thread hunted for hints and tried to find the next Easter Egg using the picture.

March 1, 2013

Finally, on the first day of March, Seria-Myouna found the second easter egg, IronEagle:
    ssttuff.png

It was found using several steps of decoding. A full explanation of the decoding process is in this post.

April 3, 2013

A roadmap was released on this day, tracking the progress of Starbound.
    Easter Egg hunters were sure there was a clue hidden somewhere within.

April 4, 2013

The easter egg was found in this thread once again.
    It was found using the first letter of each of the names of the constellations near the top of the roadmap.

[​IMG]

A nice, brief explanation of the discovery of the Easter Egg can be found here.

Seajun_, Jonesy, LastDay and 4 others like this.
  2. Eclipseknight

Eclipseknight Big Damn Hero

Woah, that's pretty cool. I wonder what other cool armor is hidden
    away in the character creation? :geek:

3. DNAY!

DNAY! Ketchup Robot

Hot-diggity! That's great!

4. At this point we know that the first-tier armors of each race will each have their own easter egg, meaning we have found 3 out of the 6.
    So look forward to seeing the others soon! (hopefully there will be a clue in this month's newsletter)

nababoo likes this.
  5. druid

druid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i knew it... i KNEW it had something to do with the roadmap.

6. Here's a suggestion, AstroBlast, why not convert this topic into a thread where you display all Easter Eggs uncovered so far? You could then update it as new ones are discovered and maybe even have a mod change the title. :) Then this place could work like a hub for people who want to see them all at once. :p

Jonesy, nababoo and AstroBlast like this.
  7. Oooohh, that's a great idea actually! I'll get to it soon. [​IMG]

8. MoonGeek

MoonGeek Phantasmal Quasar

I'm so glad I got to help find an Easter egg :rainbow:
    Now when noobs get the game after it's come out I can say, "Back in my day, I helped discover armors that were still being speculated about! None of this 'Actually playing the game to create armors' nonsense."

AstroBlast likes this.
  9. Keeper likes this.
  10. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

I noticed the constellations, but didn't think that they really meant anything. :)

11. You should join in on the conversations in the easter egg hunting thread.
    I don't think the latest easter egg would've been found so quickly without it.

12. Nice touch with the explanation (plus links) of their discovery as well. :p

Ah, now I notice that the other topic of Easter Eggs also keeps track of the progress (with explanations as well) in the OP. ><

13. I don't think enough people follow that thread, so this thread should be useful to some people anyway. (and my explanations are more detailed!)

14. Several people here have indeed showed their joy towards seeing the information displayed in the OP, so it is by no means pointless. :)

AstroBlast likes this.
  15. Jeskins

Jeskins Subatomic Cosmonaut

Lets see the comparison between these 3. Did they not come out when something big was added to the forums?

Glitch: Char creator o_O

Avian: Newsletter o_O

Apex: Roadmap o_O

and now What was the next big thing that was added to the forums?
    HMMMMM?

AstroBlast likes this.
  16. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Rims, new fuel exhaust?

17. Flameofice

Flameofice Pangalactic Porcupine

What about the pre-order page? Or the daily updates?

18. Jeskins

Jeskins Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well those are not as big as the other 3 to the forum community. Daily updates dont cover too much so i wouldnt say that would have a easter egg

19. Well this is just great. [​IMG]
    Both easter egg threads just got bumped almost simultaneously, and the once-different chat from the threads is combining...