Modding Help Can't craft some items [Workaround inside]

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by t.o.morrow, Dec 13, 2013.

1. t.o.morrow

t.o.morrow Space Spelunker

Hi. I tried to do a very simple recipe, turning 1 pixel into 1 unrefined wood. But the recipe doesn't show up. This is in the file:
    Code:
    {
      "input" : [
        { "item" : "money", "count" : 1 }
      ],
      "output" : {
        "item" : "fullwood1",
        "count" : 1
      },
      "groups" : [ "plain", "materials", "all" ]
    }

I also added the recipe to player.config. Now if I change the output to something like stonepickaxe, the recipe shows up and works like it should, but for some reason it doesn't work with wood. I also tried stuff like coalore and copperbar, and they didn't work either, but a crafting table does?

So apparently I can't craft some materials. What determines if I can craft something, and how do I make this work?

EDIT: The recipes actually do work, but only with the smelting interface. So I had to use the following workaround. For this I had to use 2 recipes and create a custom item. The first one is for the normal crafting interface, which allows me to craft the custom item with pixels. Second recipe is for a furnace. The input is the new item, and the output the unrefined wood I wanted.

It seems like it's not possible to craft items that aren't normally craftable in vanilla in the normal crafting interface. But via smelting everything I tried worked so far.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. Kyrosiris

Kyrosiris Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Where are you putting the recipe, out of curiosity? That may impact it.

What happens if you try to use fullwood2 instead of fullwood1?

3. t.o.morrow

Recipe path is ..\Starbound\mods\test\recipes\starter\plain\pixeltest.recipe. But this doesn't seem to be the problem. After all, if I just change fullwood1 to something that is already craftable in the game, and don't change anything else, it works. I also tried to add the recipe via learnBlueprintsOnPickup, and then the game even says I learned a new recipe.

And fullwood2 doesn't work either.

4. tifel100

tifel100 Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe it's because it's in the portable crafting? Try making it on the crafting bench.

5. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

I've had this issue as well when trying this for myself a couple of days ago. The only way how I got it to work is to introduce a custom crafting table, containing these recipes.

This only does this when you're working with items that, in default SB, have no crafting recipe. That's likely why your stone pickaxe is working and your wood is not. I still have no clue why it does this, or what the reason behind it is, but there's how I worked around it.

6. t.o.morrow

Nope, custom crafting table doesn't work either. Same behavior. Wood doesn't work, stone pick does. What crafting interface did you use? The crafting table one, the smelting or another?
    Maybe the recipe is there, but some configuration what to display for the result is missing for these items, so it doesn't show up?

7. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

I made my own crafting table copied from the woodencraftingtable1 object. I then teach the recipe to the player with BlueprintonPickup with the new custom crafting table. If you want to see more indepth how I'm making it work download the CreativeMode mod and look in the 'spawningtable' folder. Everything I have to make it work is in there.

8. t.o.morrow

Thanks, will take a look.

Edit: Huh, smelting does work.

9. Nightchade

Nightchade Big Damn Hero

You also might want to try adding the "craftingtable" to groups.... it should make the recipe show under the wooden crafting table.

10. t.o.morrow

Already tried that. Both standard crafting table and custom one. Then I tried the anvil, and finally the furnace, where it miraculously worked.