1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Borderlands 2 Guns for Starbound

Discussion in 'Art' started by DarkTails, Dec 19, 2013.

1. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

NOTICE
    I'm not working on this mod anymore, there's very little interest. I'll still make sprites just for fun, check my Deviant Art gallery, but I won't update this thread anymore.

====================

The goal is to get these guns into Starbound as a mod, but I don't know how to do any of that, so I'll just stick to making the sprites.

View all models made so far here: http://darktailss.deviantart.com/

=============================

Thanks for the interest from potential modders, here's a list of how each gun would work in Starbound. They're only guidelines but It'd be nice if you used these effects. I will also note if the gun has been added to the game yet for testing.

Carnage [Added]
    Fire 3 rockets that explode on impact. Rockets have large explosion radius that damages foreground and background.

DPUH
    Fires 2 bullets that explode like grenades on impact.

Lyuda
    Rapid fire sniper rifle that shoots 3 bullets at once, stacked vertically 1 pixel apart.

Maggie [Added]
    Fires 6 bullets in a concentrated spread, like a choked shotgun.

Rapier [Added]
    Hard to say... it's an ordinary auto-rifle that grants 200% melee damage. Maybe if you can make it a 1H Rifle somehow, the other hand can hold a melee weapon to get the damage bonus.

Zer0's Sword [Added]
    It kills shit.

Pyrophobia
    It's kinda crappy looking, meh

Conference Call [Added]
    Fires a spread of 5 bullets. The bullets are supposed to split after a certain distance, but fuck that, just make it shoot twice quickly for the same effect lol

Bitch [Added]
    Pretty generic SMG with nice stats and low energy consumption so you can shoot longer.

Hornet [Added]
    Shoots a burst of 5 bullets (like an SMG, not a shotgun), all which do Acid/Poison damage

Veruc
    I don't know, hard to translate into 2D world.

Fastball
    When thrown it travels like a bullet straight to where the cursor is (if possible). Deals very high damage, but explosion radius is small.

Rolling Thunder [Added]
    Thrown like normal grenade. When it explodes it releases 8 more grenades.

Quasar [Added]
    Thrown like normal grenade. Once it stops bouncing, it sucks all enemies towards it and explodes, also dealing lots of electric damage

Hellfire [Added]
    Deals large amount of Fire damage over time. Every bullet has a small chance of adding another stack of Fire DoT.

Kerblaster [Added]
    Each shot explodes like a grenade when it hits, then drops a grenade.

Florentine
    There's no Slag mechanic in SB right? This gun just deals Electric damage then, which makes the name kinda lame lol.

Swordsplosion
    Novelty weapon lol. It shoots a rocket shaped like a sword, when it explodes it releases 3 more grenade/swords.

Sledge's Shotgun [Added]
    Very powerful double barreled shotgun.

Wanderlust
    Shoots bullets in random directions. When the bullets hit a wall, they ricochet and begin homing in on the nearest enemy. I don't know if that's possible in SB.

Deliverance
    Another weird effect. Let's say that every time you run out of energy/ammo, it launches a homing rocket at an enemy.

Good news, everyone! Thanks to StarNuik, some of the guns are in the game now.

http://darktailss.deviantart.com/art/Borderlands-2-Guns-Test-Starbound-Mod-424690924

YouTube Videos:

This is the Carnage shotgun from Borderlands 2. It has all Torgue parts with the attachment that holds extra shells on the side. In Starbound, every shot will fire 3 small rockets that explode on impact.

[​IMG]

Here's the reference picture I used
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  3. F-ranko

F-ranko Heliosphere

Whoa, those are badass, man!
    Especially that Shotgun. You did such a good job at spriting that I'd be able to tell that was from Borderlands the moment I saw it.

The only room for improvement I can see is that the Grip on the Shotgun that's connected to the barrel seems a bit big in the sprite when compared to the actual reference.
    34y2r2e.jpg [​IMG]

4. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

I could probably get rid of that one silver pixel to the left

Here's a Lyuda using all Vladof parts. Not too happy with the scope, but pixel art is all about compromise, I think it looks alright.

In game it would be a rapid fire sniper rifle that shot 3 bullets at once, stacked vertically 1 pixel apart.

[​IMG]

Ref:
    [​IMG]

Stylin likes this.
  5. GrapplerBot

GrapplerBot 2.7182818284590...

You should make a Conference Call too!

Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite shooters of all time, you're doing a great job changing them into pixel art. I think you did a great job with the Lyuda's scope. IMO the magazine looks worse than the scope, because it looks flat instead of rounded. Neither looks bad however, they look really good.

6. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

You're right, I tried to recreate the original shading but I should just make it basic and round

Here's the Maggie, with all Jakobs parts

[​IMG]

7. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

Rapier:

[​IMG]

8. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

Zer0's Sword

[​IMG]

Let me know if I have to extend the handle or something

9. GrapplerBot

[​IMG]
    looks like you could add a little bit of length to the handle.

10. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

Yep looks better with the handle extended by 2 pixels

Here's the Pyrophobia rocket launcher

[​IMG]

Should probably be bigger but it looks alright for now. Not going to bother remaking it unless there's a lot of interest in getting these guns into Starbound.

11. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

Electric Conference Call with Hyperion parts

[​IMG]

12. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

Here's the Bitch

[​IMG]

13. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

The Hornet wasn't so hard, it looks kinda funky but I like it.

I call it the Cammy Gun because screw you that's why.

[​IMG]

14. Hurtwolf

Hurtwolf Void-Bound Voyager

These is sick! nice job

15. GrapplerBot

The Hornet was the first Level 50 Legendary I ever found (before the level cap came out). IMO one of the best guns in the game. Looks great :D

16. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

Fastball (Electric)
    Rolling Thunder (Homing Sticky)
    Quasar

I don't know what size they're supposed to be, so meh lol.

In the second row they're about the size of the Plasma Grenade, which is 8-9 pixels tall.

[​IMG]

17. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

I actually tried myself at making one when borderlands 2 first came out, but it was disgusting so I'll have a go at a new one. It's an SMG.
    Original
    example.jpg
    Pixel Art
    BorderLands2_Smg Final.png (x 1)

BorderLands2_Smg Final BIG.png (x 3)

18. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

Sweet! It looks good, just kinda "chibi-ish" ol

I'd like to make mine bigger like yours to add more detail, but then they look way too big in the game.

=======================

Here's more pixel goodness for Starbound, this is my own line of weapons. They have small screens on the side (glowy parts) so you can read the barrel temperature, ammo remaining, modify fire rate, etc. They fire bolts of lightning/energy, not physical bullets.

Also started using a darker fourth color to add extra depth to the really dark bits.

==============

[​IMG]

Need to arm your space-faring Henchmen with the latest in alien face-melting technology? Look no further than our snazzy orange arsenal, ready to annihilate anything you throw at it!

---------------------

Born of vengeance and electric hellfire, the Fulminator is a lightning-breathing beast suited to shock even the most badass space monsters you'll encounter. Even though it lobs lightning-spheres with impressive accuracy (giving it the destructive power of a grenade launcher), we've managed to have it officially classified as a shotgun, making it available to a wider audience.

Flashy silver piping helps dissipate heat, resulting in more thunder-death-orbs launched before needing to cooldown.

Holographic scope comes standard, machete attachment available upon request.

---------------------

Let's face it, some of us are pussies. We don't want to get our hair/fur/leaves all sticky with guts and viscera, but we still need to make things dead. Now you can power-trip at a safe distance with our BOLD (Blast Over Long Distance) rifle.

Equipped with that oh-so-stylish silver piping, the BOLD can fire powerful energy bolts yet remain cool enough to allow moderate sustained fire. Liquid-cooling cable further lowers barrel temperature allowing your choice of longer sustained fire or a faster fire rate. (Liquid-cooling cable shown in image does not come standard, but is available upon request)

High-powered scope comes standard.

---------------------

Everyone needs protection from slimy brain suckers. You, your minions, the mailman, grandma, everyone, but we understand not every one has the brawn to lug around a 20-pound hand cannon. So how is Bill in Engineering with the twiggy arms and dear old nana supposed to explode intruding tentacles?

Dubbed "The Beetle" for its universally adored bulbous shroud, our handgun is lightweight and compact, firing weightless bolts of energy instead of heavy lead slugs. (Besides, those Lead Slugs are vicious little bastards and expensive to farm anyway). A red version dubbed "The Ladybug" is also available.

The cute, but tough, carapace houses a rechargeable battery capable of holding a generous charge so you won't run dry just as that rabid blood-drinker bursts through your window.

WARNING: Underground use of our weaponry is not recommended due to high instances of encounters with insulated and ground-type creatures, essentially rendering your weapon a very badass-looking flashlight.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  19. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

Veruc, Dahl parts with Vladof sight

[​IMG]

20. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

Cool! You should make the background transparent though.