Binary Counter with Wiring

Discussion in 'Videos' started by MeMyselfAnDie, Dec 27, 2013.

1. MeMyselfAnDie

MeMyselfAnDie Seal Broken

I made a binary clock using logic gates and wiring in-game. I'm quite proud of it, what do you guys think?

Also, check out this thread, it's really helpful if you are trying to learn how to do this sort of thing

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    Azyr, Stereoide and Curse Starwind like this.
  2. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Thanks for the plug. Counter looks awesome, 10/10 space efficiency.

If you're going to make a display, though, use octal or hexadecimal. Preferably hex, seeing as your counter is 8 bits. Decimal will be a nightmare.

3. MeMyselfAnDie

No problem. I was on your thread while i made this so I didn't know if I should cite you as help. I figured a mention was probably good

I was going to do decimal simply because it's what most people know. it shouldn't be too hard, it'll just blunt force reset when it hits 10.

4. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

If it's just 0-9, sure. Using hex you could count up to the full 255 (FF), though. I've done the math, the full decoder would be 82 gates (41 per hex digit), assuming access to complemented variables.

5. MeMyselfAnDie

well it would be multiple 0-9 displays. Either way it's gonna be a lot of and gates to check for conversion values, because every pixel combination has to be hardcoded with and gates

6. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Okay, yeah, I can see that happening. So you're going to have a counter for each digit that resets itself and increments the next one up when it hits 10? I was thinking more along the lines of converting one big binary counter into a decimal display. Not fun.

7. MeMyselfAnDie

I added a digital display. Too many wires make me sad

Azyr likes this.
  8. saik0

saik0 Space Spelunker

Since the wiring allows for multiple connections to a single input/output you can implement the hexadecimal seven segment decoder logic with 4 NOT and 29 AND gates. Mine got clobbered by the wiring reset bug. It was a sad day.

For decimal it would be simpler to make a BCD counter.

9. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Seven segments would be pretty simple, yeah. I was talking about 13 segments, like this:

Code:
    1   2   3
    4       5
    6   7   8
    9      10
    11 12  13

which amounts to 40ish gates, give or take depending on how you want your numbers to look.

You mean seven segments like this, right? (numbered in no particular order)

Code:
     1 1
    2   3
    2   3
     4 4
    5   6
    5   6
     7 7

Yeah, the wiring reset bug means I won't bother making anything cool until it's fixed. :(

Isn't that exactly what he did?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  10. saik0

saik0 Space Spelunker

No, he made a binary counter. BCD uses (at least) 4 bits to represent a decimal digit.

Edit: Oops. I missed some of the thread. Yeah, that's what he did. I'd still go for a seven segment display for simplicity, but that matrix sure looks classy.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  11. Azyr

Azyr Scruffy Nerf-Herder

First of all, thaks to SeaJay, MeMyselfAnDie and all the other electronics enthusiasts, I love your posts!

I was working on a regular clock, with its hours and minutes and I was building my counters with T flip-flops, but I was having problems reseting them to count till 9 or less than 2^n-1 in general. Then I saw MeMyselfAnDie's design for the counters and his way of reseting them and I copied him. Thanks MeMyselfAnDie! ^^'

After a pretty tedious work I have a working clock with 24 hours (minutes passing by like seconds and hours like minutes, for now)

MeMyselfAnDie, if wires still make you sad, don't look at this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(The pulse generator (bottom right) in the last image was not yet connected to the clock)

But I encountered a problem. When I leave the planet and I come back, the bits (specifically the XOR gates) which were 1 in the counters when I left start flicking and the whole clock doesn't work properly. If I leave when the count is at 00:00 then there is no problem.

I could build a circuit to reset the counters, but that's not the point of a clock. I'd like it to stay counting while I'm gone.

Any ideas why MeMyselfAnDie's counters flick when you leave and come back?

SeaJay likes this.