Automated Defenses

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by Zody, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Zody

Zody Weight of the Sky

After posting about this in the general discussion section i was encouraged to post about it here aswell to hopefully bring it to the attention of the developers in case there are no current plans for this. I think it would be a good idea to include automated base defenses along the lines of stuff like sentry guns, auto turrets, sentry drones, landmines and so on so that the player won't have to personally deal with every threat that encroaches upon planetside installations.

2. tomany2

tomany2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This would be interesting to implement... it would be much nicer (and easier) than using wires. But the sentries, turrets, landmines ETC will need their own HP, so that they can be destroyed. and also VERY hard to obtain. as well as ammunition that you need to keep filled.

3. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

I think they should eirther be really advanced and hard to get or require an NPC controller.

4. Tempest2097

Tempest2097 Void-Bound Voyager

Sentry guns certainly make an impenetrable fortress more formidable. I rather like the idea of making Outpost GunfortGunGunner.

5. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

Hmm, although I like the idea of turrets, I would prefer to let NPCs handle the automated defences. If you can build practically infinite turrets, the game may become to easy, and the player may become to lazy :unsure:

6. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

I believe there should be 2 variants of the Sentry Gun. One variant is where you have complete control. The other variant should be automatic but fires in bursts and cannot be placed nearby other sentries.

Also, monsters (except minibosses and bosses) shouldn't drop items if killed by sentries.

7. Knightwyvern

Knightwyvern Void-Bound Voyager

I'd rather have your NPC/captured enemies handle any kind of needed defenses, though auto turrets would be really cool as an addition to that IMO :)

8. Nithilus

Nithilus Big Damn Hero

Hmm i like this idea. Prehaps if your base is under attack you can reinforce your doors to automatically close and lock when under attack to prevent the enemy from breaching the perimeter or at least stall them as they try to break it down. Prehaps able to put pressure plates that sends drones out to defend area when enemys stand on it. I would also like to see a flame turret, Short range and easy to destroy but able to hold off waves of weaker enemys due to its high damage it can do.

9. TopHatRaptor

TopHatRaptor Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd dig defenses. That would be so awesome to have an invasion. Maybe it could almost work like a tower defense game: little turrets you place that enemies attack and try to get around.

10. Xploding_Cherry

Xploding_Cherry Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like the idea of getting NPCs to help protect you. Maybe there can be a NPC "vendor" that sells these guards, but each guard with their own special traits and weapons. Maybe, to avoid the overpowered...ness of the guards, you can only hire so many at a time.

11. Andinicus

Andinicus Big Damn Hero

I support this, though this would have to have some major balancing such as hard to obtain and also have virtually no knock-back at all.
    I would also like to be able to deploy guns like manual controlled machine guns or perhaps a low tech cast iron cannon.:D

12. Snowy_Night

Snowy_Night Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like this idea!
    I don't know about you guys but in sci-fi the automated defences normally end up being hacked and used against you or the computer controling them goes evil. Which would be awesome in the game xD.

13. Nithilus

Nithilus Big Damn Hero

Evil A.I invading your systems me likey idea

14. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

You should write a suggestion for this! Hiring troops to defend! Also, love the idea of turrets, automated, player-controlled and npc-controlled!

Xploding_Cherry likes this.
  15. Xploding_Cherry

Xploding_Cherry Subatomic Cosmonaut

I just did! Thanks for the idea. :)

16. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

You're welcome.

WHAT?!

Drithyl likes this.
  17. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

WHO?!

Now something on-topic please ^^ Like... A console wired to turrets with which you could control them from a safe room? And with different wire colours (there's a topic about this), you could wire a whole turret defense system!

18. sayaks

sayaks Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe they would all need some sort of power.

And if they were to be automated, T\they would also need a computer and a console. Then to upgrade the A.I you upgrade the computer, and for hardware the turret.
    And to be able to use the high-level turrets you can't just use a very good turret and a very weak computer. Because then the computer doesn't know how to use the turret.
    And if the opposite is the case, then there's a cap to how good a turret can be without sufficient hardware.

You could also connect one computer to multiple turret, sharing computing power. The console is just for the interface.

19. HellKnightX

HellKnightX Void-Bound Voyager

I would support this idea if turrets could only be built within a certain range of NPC housing. They should also have to be wired up to some central "security hub" in your base, which would be very expensive but control/power all of your base defenses. Of course, they would also be about as end-game as having your own civilization or planet. Once you have your own planet under control, they would be incredibly useful for establishing an outpost on an extremely hostile planet.

You would also have to research stronger upgrades as you progress through the end-game or your turrets will get trashed on higher level planets. From what the developers are suggesting, a level 100 planet will be nearly impossible to build a reliably defensible outpost on no matter what, so turrets shouldn't be able to survive those conditions either.

20. Psion

Psion Zero Gravity Genie

I always did love my lava moats and dart traps in Terraria, especially after getting stomped by the Goblin Army so many times. when I finally beat the crap out of the Dungeon Guardian, I tore that place apart until I found the Mechanic. First time the Goblins encountered my dart traps... I can't describe the satisfaction. I'd love it if there was some similar even in Starbound. Periodically space pirates or the Main Antagonist show up to raid your colony (once you have one) and you have to defend it.