August 14th - Steady as she goes!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Xotano

Xotano Subatomic Cosmonaut

its a BLOCK that can be found in both foreground and background, according to what "Gon" said

2. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

This has already been tackled in the current nightly build. Triggering a chain reaction of cascading sand destroys the ores, so you now need to carefully mine your way around to them from above or the sides. This is likely to be a controversial change, since a lot of players were strip-mining desert worlds exploiting the ease you could get ores from these types of cascading blocks.

Xotano likes this.
  3. Xotano

Xotano Subatomic Cosmonaut

that makes mining much more time consuming, i like that :p
    i feel like i'm spamming tho so ima stick to editing messages or writing long ones
    or pms, pms work too.

4. Nantes

Nantes Void-Bound Voyager

It's not an ore per se, because you won't be able to use them to craft anything. Think of them as just background wall blocks that mimic the ores in appearance.

5. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Nice. The walls come alive.

6. kratos873

kratos873 Starship Captain

i dont know if i like the new look of those ores

7. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Some variation could make them look more natural with the environment.

8. blackshadow2000

blackshadow2000 Void-Bound Voyager

hmm... purple, crystal glowstone at a 45° angle?!

i love it!
    :lickitung:

9. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

they arnt ores, they are blocks

coming from someone who plays the nightlys

10. Demonoid74

Demonoid74 Star Wrangler

Blocks that cast light!? I have one o' those!

[​IMG]

Sorry had to ;)

11. Tazmaniac95

Tazmaniac95 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Plutonium, now 25% more radioactive. Pip Boy.png

AdenSword and jamstronaut like this.
  12. santiago

santiago Big Damn Hero

nice desu!

13. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

But... But... the Gravel-anches!
    That's totally not the nickname my friends and I have given to destroying a single block of sand and having ores rain down upon you...
    ... Get? It's like an Avelanche of gravel?

Hah. Hahah.

Green Causali-Tea and Blake81 like this.
  14. Dromna

Dromna Aquatic Astronaut

Looking good. Love the block glow. Will the purple crystal (I assume the objective material for the upgrade ship mission?) get texture variants like the ores? I hope?

15. jamstronaut

jamstronaut Poptop Tamer

Excellent! These things are great news, I was sick of hitting one or two out of like six enemies with a giant sword. Great job guys I'm looking forward to this mission too!

16. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

Can we not post in colored text, please?

Quick aside about the glowing blocks in question—they seem just a little too perfect. Like a master jewler cut them into their perfectly angular and equidistant positions and sizes. Is there more planned for that particular sprite?

What are they?

17. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

supermatter crystals

acording to the gamefiles

18. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

You mean heart pounding sandvalanches that melt whole caverns will be horrendously destructive instead of giddy fun? I got to question this choice that has been made for this video game.

19. Sasbrene

Sasbrene Void-Bound Voyager

Oh ho ho yes, very glad that underground blocks can cast light. This all lends to making the underground metaplay interesting, increase a visual reference when exploring, creates some depth and make being underground look nice. Should bioluminescence make a comeback, digging and exploring will be as fun inside a planet as outside. Again CF, this is a very good and viable section to work on

20. Fawxkitteh

Fawxkitteh Phantasmal Quasar

I kind of think that is an icky way to resolve it. When I was playing on the nightly build and I saw ores just disappearing, I thought it was a bug. I never used to strip-mine deserts, just got the ore that happened to be in the sand I came across.
    If anything, ore should just spawn less frequently in sand.

Really? It was a feature I really looked forward to, and from the responses here, it seems many others were as well.
    I still usually look for caves to find ore, rather than just digging randomly, in minecraft, terraria, and now starbound. The need to explore is what draws me, and the ore (and any other treasures) are the reward.
    Finding needed ore should never feel like work.

Green Causali-Tea likes this.